Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to call out many Catholicisim Doctrinal errors?
YES 15 26.79%
NO 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:17 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,558,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is perfectly OK to discuss these issues and it is obvious when the poster is not a hater.

There are many sincere good will people that are simply curious and want to go beyond what they hear at their own church or from the mouth of the minister.

There are many protestants that study these issues very deeply and quite often they gain enormous understanding. Some Protestant ministers that study catholicism even convert to Catholicism. Paradoxically the poorly educated Catholic may leave the CC and the highly educated Protestant may return home to Catholicism.

Peter is always singled out in the Gospels. He is mentioned first and his name appears many more times than the name of the other Apostles. Peter resurrected the dead and walked on water with Jesus. I don't think anyone can deny the supremacy of Peter among the Apostles. Unfortunately, Paul who was much more educated came into the picture too late and never walked with Jesus.

The CC was the first mainline Christian group and seized the moment with Mathew 16:18-19. Who would not jump at that opportunity?

Lastly, many that dislike the CC confuse the culture of Catholicism with Christianity. The devotion to Mary is but a side dish and not part of the mass.

But Mary is always sited in the Mass as "Christ was born of the Virgin Mary and became men." If you listen to Tim Staples and his CDs on Mary he says she is very important in the church and she is. One can hardly go to a Catholic church without hearing about Mary many times. Staples explains why she is so important in salvation history. Without Mary, Jesus would not be here or rather that is how God chose to bring His son into the world. I would say that is very important because God chose it. I am not in the business to tell God He did it the wrong way.

It's bewildering to me why people get so hung up on Mary. Personally, I attribute it to the devil. After all he hates Mary, who spoiled his plans to ruin souls and in the OT she is the woman God promised that would crush his head. The devil won't rest unless he is trying to make people discontent about Mary, his arch enemy. He hates her almost as much as he hates God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Traditions the apostles taught from the actual scriptures itself. All they had was the OT back then, so their traditions were actually biblically backed. Catholicism makes up its own traditions and says its biblical.

All traditions went down the tube in the 300 AD's once Rome got a hold of the bible and then went against every Jewish roots the bible had and introduced Catholicism and then started substituting Sunday for Sabbath, Getting rid of the biblical feast days and putting Xmas and Easter in their place and pretty much being Anti Jewish everything, so by then the bible lost all of its hebrew roots and Christianity merged with pagan customs and we have those traditions to follow now.

That is false, all traditions are biblical. You need to tune into a Protestant minister that thought the same way you do and learned differently when he studied the Catholic traditions and found them all to be very biblical.

I don't know how you can say the church is anti-Jewish when it is based on the Jewish faith.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,375,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
[/b]

But Mary is always sited in the Mass as "Christ was born of the Virgin Mary and became men." If you listen to Tim Staples and his CDs on Mary he says she is very important in the church and she is. One can hardly go to a Catholic church without hearing about Mary many times. Staples explains why she is so important in salvation history. Without Mary, Jesus would not be here or rather that is how God chose to bring His son into the world. I would say that is very important because God chose it. I am not in the business to tell God He did it the wrong way.

It's bewildering to me why people get so hung up on Mary. Personally, I attribute it to the devil. After all he hates Mary, who spoiled his plans to ruin souls and in the OT she is the woman God promised that would crush his head. The devil won't rest unless he is trying to make people discontent about Mary, his arch enemy. He hates her almost as much as he hates God.
Jan:

Yes, Mary is mentioned as the mother of Jesus. But, the mass is about Jesus.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Jan:

Yes, Mary is mentioned as the mother of Jesus. But, the mass is about Jesus.
Of course it is, and Mary is always pointing to her Son as the Savior of the world.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 PM

889 posts, read 827,656 times
Quote:
They preached the NT before it was written!

I ask again: Are you a Jew for Jesus? Why so concerned with Jewish Holy Days and traditions?

Do you celebrate Yom Kippur? This is in the bible.

General observances[edit]
Leviticus 16:29 mandates establishment of this holy day on the 10th day of the 7th month as the day of atonement for sins. It calls it the Sabbath of Sabbaths and a day upon which one must afflict one's soul.
Leviticus 23:27 decrees that Yom Kippur is a strict day of rest.

Do you celebrate the Jewish New Year too?

You are more than welcome to not celebrate the birth of Jesus or to avoid Easter.

I ask again: Are you a Jew for Jesus?

Frankly I am puzzled for the yearning of Jewish sacred days and the disdain for Easter and Christmas.
My guess is Seventh Day Adventist.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,164,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
My guess is Seventh Day Adventist.
Your guess is 100% wrong. Im not SDA and they can keep their idol EGW as well.

I am a nondenominational Christian, that goes to church on Sunday , but also knows the truth to behind why we do what we do and will not try to butter things up to make excuses for it.

-I eat pork or shirmp every blue moon because i feel like it, not because I butchered some verses to try it make it seem like scriptures gave the okay.
-I go to church on Sunday as a day or worship, where Catholicism makes Sunday a Sabbath replacement.
-I studied the biblical holy days to get a better meaning of the bible and saw the significance of them and not just label them Jewish. All I was saying is atleast know the significance of those days and dont label everything Jewish and see how they can be helpful to everyone.
-Catholicism seems to label 66% of the bible (OT) as useless and all that is needed is the NT even though that is based off the OT. Just look at any responce and it is always, have you read the NT, thats not in the NT, NT etc.

My point is much of the thing i pointed out are error with the Catholic Doctrine that go against scriptures that many have commented and proved as well. It is not against a Catholic as a person, but more so the false teachings and the awful excuses Catholicism has to butter them up.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:54 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,164,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is false, all traditions are biblical. You need to tune into a Protestant minister that thought the same way you do and learned differently when he studied the Catholic traditions and found them all to be very biblical.

I don't know how you can say the church is anti-Jewish when it is based on the Jewish faith.

The church WAS based on the Jewish faith originally. It is now more based on a greek Roman Philosophy than it was the original Jewish faith the Hebrews lived and operated by.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

My point is much of the thing i pointed out are error with the Catholic Doctrine that go against scriptures that many have commented and proved as well. It is not against a Catholic as a person, but more so the false teachings and the awful excuses Catholicism has to butter them up.
The Catholic Church was like you in the 12th century.

You sound like a 12th century Inquisitor. They felt that anyone that deviated from Catholicism was evil and Satanic. But, these were primitive men 800 years ago. Today the Catholic Church accepts other Christians as being part of the Church founded by Jesus.

Who knows? Maybe your church will be more accepting of other Christians in another 800 years.

We have been there done that.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,760,826 times
Quote:
Catholicism Doctrine, are we wrong for speaking against a lot of it?
I dislike religion bashing as a general rule. The trouble is that Protestantism defines itself and justifies its very existence on the basis of Catholicism being wrong. If Catholicism was and is right, the entire Protestant Reformation was one great big giant mistake. Restorationism has an even bigger stake in the incorrectness of the RCC. If a Restorationist cannot demonstrate that the RCC is wrong, then there would be no point in God rebooting Christianity and starting over again. Even your more ancient schizms like the Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, Ethiopian, Assyrian, Armenian, Nestorian, etc -- all tend to need to define and validate themselves in relation to the RCC. I think all cases largely come down to numbers. Roughly half of all Christians belong to the Roman Catholic Church. The RCC is massively larger than any other Christian denomination. Although popularity of a religion has never been a legitimate validation of its correctness, I guess it's just human nature to feel intimidated by anything that is bigger than you are.

Respectful disagreement and discussion are fine with me. Like I said, it's kind of inevitable. I appreciate folks like Julian who take the time to give the RCC side of things.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I dislike religion bashing as a general rule. The trouble is that Protestantism defines itself and justifies its very existence on the basis of Catholicism being wrong. If Catholicism was and is right, the entire Protestant Reformation was one great big giant mistake.
Exactly!

The aim of those Protestant religions is to be different than Catholics. And to this day part of the preaching by Protestant ministers includes anti-Catholicism.

Sadly they continue to put down a Catholic Church that is now accepting Protestants as part of the Church founded by Jesus.

From the Catechism:

Quote:
Who belongs to the Catholic Church?

838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity