Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,119,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The leadership guides the Church as a whole. Each man and woman has specific stewardships, and idividual gifts are part of that stewadrship.
Ah, ok. That clears up the question I had then....thanks.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 PM

10 posts, read 47,332 times
Default We believe in God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Let's discuss this mysterious religion and what they really believe. Let's chat. I throw out the first question. Do Mormons believe in polytheism? The belief of more than one God.
A polytheist is someone who worships many different types of gods.

Mormons are Christians, we worship the God of the Bible, we don't however, agree with the Catholic and Protestant interpretations of the Bible and of what God is.

On one of those cult watching web sites, they say that Jehovah's witnesses are a cult because they deny the physical resurrection of Jesus. They then say that Mormons are a cult because we believe that God has a body of flesh and bone. We are both called cults because we don't agree with the trinitarian tradition that Jesus IS God.

It's hard to explain to Evangelicals and Catholics that their "monotheistic" beliefs are not logical, and not biblical.

We can become gods, when the Jewish leaders were going to stone Jesus once, they accused him of making himself equal with God, where he defended himself by quoting the Psalms where it says "ye are gods"

The Bible in its original Hebrew refers to one Elohim, not one God. Elohim is a plural term meaning "Gods" and therefore the Hebrew texts is saying that there is only one true group of Gods in comparison to the other groups of gods worshiped by pagans.

One of Islams earliest attacks on Christianity was that they perceived Christianity as being polytheist for believing Jesus was a part of the Godhead.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:16 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,504,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTerrill View Post
We are both called cults because we don't agree with the trinitarian tradition that Jesus IS God.

It's hard to explain to Evangelicals and Catholics that their "monotheistic" beliefs are not logical, and not biblical.
Welcome to the forum, Brian!

I agree with you about the difficulty of giving anyone outside of your belief structure a good explanation on why their own belief is incorrect. That is why this thread has finally calmed down. We are no longer trying to prove our point, rather just discussing our differences/similarities. Personally, I think "cult" is a strong word and is overused among evangelicals.

Regarding the trinity doctrine, you will find that evangelicals and catholics believe it is not biblical to believe anything other than the trinity. So I could give you all of my reasons that I believe the trinity to be true, and you can give me all of your reasons why it is not, and we will arrive at an impasse because we still believe our original teachings.

Quote:
We can become gods, when the Jewish leaders were going to stone Jesus once, they accused him of making himself equal with God, where he defended himself by quoting the Psalms where it says "ye are gods"
I guess it would all depend on how you define "gods" with a little "g". The situation that you referrenced from John 10 is interesting. You have already laid the background in that the Jews were accusing Jesus of claiming equality with God. When Jesus replies, he is quoting a passage from Psalms. In that verse, the psalmist refers to the OT judges as "gods". The Protestant perspective of Jesus quoting this passage is this: if it was ok for the psalmist to call mere men "gods" then why is it taboo for the Son of God to do so? They were guilty of having a double-standard.

Quote:
The Bible in its original Hebrew refers to one Elohim, not one God. Elohim is a plural term meaning "Gods" and therefore the Hebrew texts is saying that there is only one true group of Gods in comparison to the other groups of gods worshiped by pagans.
What is ironic is that this is the same fact that Evangelicals point to for proof of the trinity doctrine. The plurality of the Hebrew name for God. We don't believe there is a "group of Gods".

Quote:
One of Islams earliest attacks on Christianity was that they perceived Christianity as being polytheist for believing Jesus was a part of the Godhead.
I understand this argument. The Jews accuse us of it as well. The trinity is, admittedly, a difficult concept to grasp.

Regarding LDS doctrine, you say that you don't believe Jesus is God. Then you state that "we can become gods. My question is this: When you are saying you can become gods, are you saying that one day you will be equal with your Heavenly Father? Or are you merely saying that one day you will be in heaven with him and "reign with him" as the Bible talks about?

Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM

250 posts, read 503,900 times
I am going to let brianterrill respond to Doji. I will move on to the 8th article of faith:

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God

Old 02-17-2008, 08:58 PM

Joseph Smith said that "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book"

From the 20th section of the Doctrine and Covenants:
8 And gave him power from on high, by the means which were before prepared, to translate the Book of Mormon;
9 Which contains a record of a fallen people, and the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles and to the Jews also;
10 Which was given by inspiration, and is confirmed to others by the ministering of angels, and is declared unto the world by them—
11 Proving to the world that the holy scriptures are true, and that God does inspire men and call them to his holy work in this age and generation, as well as in generations of old;
12 Thereby showing that he is the same God yesterday, today, and forever. Amen.
13 Therefore, having so great witnesses, by them shall the world be judged, even as many as shall hereafter come to a knowledge of this work.
14 And those who receive it in faith, and work righteousness, shall receive a crown of eternal life;
15 But those who harden their hearts in unbelief, and reject it, it shall turn to their own condemnation—
16 For the Lord God has spoken it; and we, the elders of the church, have heard and bear witness to the words of the glorious Majesty on high, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:45 AM

There has been much caterwauling, weeping, and wailing and gnashing of teeth over the Book of Mormon in this forum. Much of it has been nonsense in my opinion. The Book of Mormon is remarkable in its clarity of doctrine , powerful in its message, and in complete harmony with the Bible. It stands as an additional witness that Jesus is the Christ. The old chestnut that there can be no more scripture is nothing more than silly. I agree with Thunder who asked, did God just throw the Bible at us and say that's it, that's all you get? The answer is no.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,119,343 times
Quote:
There has been much caterwauling, weeping, and wailing and gnashing of teeth over the Book of Mormon in this forum. Much of it has been nonsense in my opinion. The Book of Mormon is remarkable in its clarity of doctrine , powerful in its message, and in complete harmony with the Bible. It stands as an additional witness that Jesus is the Christ. The old chestnut that there can be no more scripture is nothing more than silly. I agree with Thunder who asked, did God just throw the Bible at us and say that's it, that's all you get? The answer is no.
This is all a matter of personal belief/opinion and like you wrote, we have dragged this particular debate through the mud plenty of times. Perhaps it would simply be better to go to the next article to avoid getting into another nasty discussion. Since the posters have been extremely civil with one another, no sense getting it into an uproar. (Kudos to all for doing so, too!!! )

Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,461,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of the major changes that have occurred such as African Americans now being able to hold the priesthood, and the reversal of polygamy. I'm not questioning the reasons behind them (I believe that information has been covered already ), but they seem to be changing what was doctrine at that time.
that is one of the things that has always interested me. there will be doctrinal changes every now and then. but they correspond to God's ultimate goal: the salvation of His children through Christ. an example of this change would be the unveiling of the mosaic law, which was seen as a preparatory law for the followers of moses who were not ready for the higehr law at the time. later however, Christ came and fulfilled the law. we were then given the higher law, and though it changed things, it did not take away from that which already existed, even though it gave church membership to those not of the house of israel by blood. it is closer to the end of perfection that God has planned for his children.

the higher law is the higher law. we will not be getting much in the way of a ten-commandment-type alteration to Christ's law. but there are still mosaic prinsicples that we live now, because we have not been ready in the past to receive the higher parts of the law. tithing is the example that i am thinking of here.

as we progress into the second coming, there will be great miracles (still happening now), and great prophecies. i think that even most protestant faiths believe that prophets (in one form or another) will guide us in the last days. there are specific mentions of them in the new testament in particular.

their revelations might seem revolutionary and unprecedented at first, but i think that we will see how it ties in to the whole of God's plan as we go.

aaron out.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
This is all a matter of personal belief/opinion and like you wrote, we have dragged this particular debate through the mud plenty of times. Perhaps it would simply be better to go to the next article to avoid getting into another nasty discussion. Since the posters have been extremely civil with one another, no sense getting it into an uproar. (Kudos to all for doing so, too!!! )
I agree. This is going to be an "agree to disagree" topic. What does article nine have to say?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
that is one of the things that has always interested me. there will be doctrinal changes every now and then. but they correspond to God's ultimate goal: the salvation of His children through Christ. an example of this change would be the unveiling of the mosaic law, which was seen as a preparatory law for the followers of moses who were not ready for the higehr law at the time. later however, Christ came and fulfilled the law. we were then given the higher law, and though it changed things, it did not take away from that which already existed, even though it gave church membership to those not of the house of israel by blood. it is closer to the end of perfection that God has planned for his children.

the higher law is the higher law. we will not be getting much in the way of a ten-commandment-type alteration to Christ's law. but there are still mosaic prinsicples that we live now, because we have not been ready in the past to receive the higher parts of the law. tithing is the example that i am thinking of here.

as we progress into the second coming, there will be great miracles (still happening now), and great prophecies. i think that even most protestant faiths believe that prophets (in one form or another) will guide us in the last days. there are specific mentions of them in the new testament in particular.

their revelations might seem revolutionary and unprecedented at first, but i think that we will see how it ties in to the whole of God's plan as we go.

aaron out.
I think I understand what you are saying. Thank you for explaining it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.