Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 09:58 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,992,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post

Even if that wasn't the case, there are things that the Scripture says that aren't true. However, I never said the Scripture was innerant in everything it says, but that it is inerrant in everything it teaches. The Scripture is innerant in everything it teaches and promises. Big difference. God used the experiences and knowledge of the authors in order to reveal the teachings and nature of God.
Now that is the best response by a Bible literalist to the thorny issue of Bible inerrancy I have read thus far. I applaud you. And I am sincere, not sarcastic. Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 AM

20,456 posts, read 12,848,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And not all Christians worship Scripture as equivalent to God, so these constant "but Scripture says but Scripture says but Scripture says" arguments are tiresome and go nowhere. There is so much valuable in the Scriptures, but it was written by people, and people put their own slants, personal or cultural, into their writings.
No one worships Scripture. We worship the One of whom it speaks, and we believe, as Paul said, it is the very Word of God.

May I also remind you Jesus' response to Satan was, "It is written...".

Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No one worships Scripture. We worship the One of whom it speaks, and we believe, as Paul said, it is the very Word of God.

May I also remind you Jesus' response to Satan was, "It is written...".
But that's doesn't mean that everything written is the absolute infallible word of God. It just means that Jesus was better at verbal sparring than was Satan!

I'm sorry, but people do seem to worship Scripture/the Bible. You see it on this very forum all the time, where there are people who do not seem to be able to express their faith from the heart and soul but can only converse in quotes--that's a red flag right there. There's an old saying that "the devil can quote scripture for his purpose, too". I see people who become seemingly aroused and gleeful with quotations about other people burning for eternity. It's not Christ-like or loving, it's horrible, yet they feel righteous about it because the words they are using are written in scripture! When the bible is used to attack others or express hatred, when the bible overrules the love of God and becomes the focus of the worship rather than the One about whom these ancient writers tried to express their thoughts and feelings in writing to the best of their poor human abilities, that is indeed worshiping the bible. And it is idolatry.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
But that's doesn't mean that everything written is the absolute infallible word of God. It just means that Jesus was better at verbal sparring than was Satan!

I'm sorry, but people do seem to worship Scripture/the Bible. You see it on this very forum all the time, where there are people who do not seem to be able to express their faith from the heart and soul but can only converse in quotes--that's a red flag right there. There's an old saying that "the devil can quote scripture for his purpose, too". I see people who become seemingly aroused and gleeful with quotations about other people burning for eternity. It's not Christ-like or loving, it's horrible, yet they feel righteous about it because the words they are using are written in scripture! When the bible is used to attack others or express hatred, when the bible overrules the love of God and becomes the focus of the worship rather than the One about whom these ancient writers tried to express their thoughts and feelings in writing to the best of their poor human abilities, that is indeed worshiping the bible. And it is idolatry.
Bolded above.

That is speculation. Paul said "ALL Scripture..."

Old 08-29-2014, 01:21 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Bolded above.

That is speculation. Paul said "ALL Scripture..."
I know what Paul said, and he said a lot of valuable things, but Paul was a human being and not infallible, either. All we can do is read what was left to us to read and pray for guidance to gain wisdom from what we do read, but I would warn against turning the written words into some sort of Magic 8-Ball or thinking that by reading scripture, we can know the mind of God.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:28 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
No one worships Scripture.
Yes you do when you make it inerrant and infallible . . . you make it equal to God.
Quote:
We worship the One of whom it speaks, and we believe, as Paul said, it is the very Word of God
It is NOT the very word of God . . . Christ IS! You SHOULD have said: "We worship the One of whom it speaks, and we believe, as Paul said, HE is the very Word of God"

Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I know what Paul said, and he said a lot of valuable things, but Paul was a human being and not infallible, either. All we can do is read what was left to us to read and pray for guidance to gain wisdom from what we do read, but I would warn against turning the written words into some sort of Magic 8-Ball or thinking that by reading scripture, we can know the mind of God.
Paul was selected by Christ to take the gospel to the Gentiles. Peter, who walked with Jesus, confirmed Paul's words as gospel. I would warn you not to dismiss any part of scripture.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,277,958 times
Quote:
Two good'uns, back-to-back.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,258,673 times
It is because God cannot lie and is supremely perfect that we can know that the statements He makes are also free from error.

We are not making out the Scripture to be greater than God, it is simply a natural conclusion that the words of a perfect being would also be perfect, as God cannot lie.

Therefore the only argument one could make is that the Scripture was not verbally and plenary inspired and therefore is errant and shouldn't be considered as authoritative.

However, since I believe there is enough evidence to show that the Scripture is God-breathed, I know I can rely on it for an objective authority on all matters it teaches. It is precisely this reason that all of my truth claims are backed up by the authority of God, so that I might not be accused of leaning on my own fallible and imperfect nature.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:01 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,599,381 times
We don't have one but everything that is taught says all sensuality is bad
Side note I think lesbian couples are very stable
Can't say the same for gay men I have a lot of dead friends in the gay community way b4 their time
The sky is crying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity