Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 PM

76,959 posts, read 47,867,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
so according to you, we who are to be just like God, are told to love our enemy, but God does not have to love His enemy. We are told not to murder, but God can and does murder, we are told not to do evil, but God can do evil. Does not seem like we will ever be in the image and likeness of God if I was to follow through on your reasoning. What happened to being ONE with God? Was not Jesus ONE with God? and did Jesus not from that ONENESS say LOVE YOUR ENEMY.

Fin only those OUTSIDE of the ONENESS with God hate their enemy.
You are missing the point. One more time. Do you think god is capable of feeling hate, or is he only capable of feeling love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:53 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,437,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are missing the point. One more time. Do you think god is capable of feeling hate, or is he only capable of feeling love?
and one more time read post 9.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:34 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,548,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
you just keep missing the point
right .... specifically rejecting your accusation
thus your understanding of those scriptures are incorrect.
and responding to your ultimatum
Now are you going to repent of baring false witness, or will you maintain that we......
is missing the point.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:36 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,437,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Now are you going to repent of baring false witness, or will you maintain that we......
is missing the point.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,049,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That is why I think the Bible is a mirror. What we resonate with within it's pages shows us a lot about the state of our own hearts and minds. The good, the bad and the ugly.
It (the bible) does seem like a mirror in many respects - as if we are really the ones being read. We don't always realize that we are the subject of everything we react to and try to perceive. It may be there is a reason why their are such horrible stories in the bible, but not for the reason that some think.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:44 PM

37,348 posts, read 28,457,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
is missing the point.
I know you are intelligent enough to understand that if Jesus is speaking God's word and God's word spoken through Jesus says love your enemies, do you not think that 1) Jesus is relating how he knows God? Or 2) that he knows God hates his enemies and that love your enemies are Jesus' own words? or 3)maybe he said to Jesus you teach them to love their enemies and leave the hating to me?. You believe in God(very nice) believe on me also for i am all that God IS, in otherwords what you see me doing his God in action, and when you have seen me loving those that reject,despise, mistreat me and persecute me and loving them in return........ That is how your heavenly father is.

I think 3 is where most fundamentalists are at.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:45 PM

64,142 posts, read 40,469,586 times
Default Then there's the LIE .... God DOES hate

It seems my attempt to educate people about the origins of hate in the human psyche was a failure for some. Hate is a human weakness and we DO hate. . . BUT God has no human weaknesses and God does NOT Hate. God is grieved by evil and He does not DO evil. God is grieved by vengeance and He does not do vengeance. Our ignorant primitive ancestors had no conception other than the human emotions . . . THAT is why Christ was needed.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,261,921 times
After thinking about this subject for a while, I have to come to a conclusion as to why this is such an issue.

Love is not the opposite of hate.

Hate is 'intense or passionate dislike', while the agape love of God is selfless and unconditional.

There is no 'agape hate'...

Does God intensely and passionately dislike things, such as sin? Yes, it is against His very being and nature. Does God also agape love things, such as us and His son Jesus? Yes!

The other issue going on here is that some people feel that love and hate cannot co-exist, and I believe this to be a misnomer. They are not mutually exclusive.

Lastly, some people here don't understand that God can love someone AND hold them accountable to their own actions. I love my son, as any father would, but it is not loving if I prevent him from consequences of disobedience. Likewise, discipline is loving, as any parent would understand.

God loves us and always gives us the option to prevent negative consequences. If we decide to take the wrong path, it is not God that is lacking in love.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I know you are intelligent enough to understand that if Jesus is speaking God's word and God's word spoken through Jesus says love your enemies, do you not think that 1) Jesus is relating how he knows God? Or 2) that he knows God hates his enemies and that love your enemies are Jesus' own words? or 3)maybe he said to Jesus you teach them to love their enemies and leave the hating to me?. You believe in God(very nice) believe on me also for i am all that God IS, in otherwords what you see me doing his God in action, and when you have seen me loving those that reject,despise, mistreat me and persecute me and loving them in return........ That is how your heavenly father is.

I think 3 is where most fundamentalists are at.
Hopefully I'm following the bread crumbs ....

1) more than just knows ... John 10:30

2) there is no separating the two: God's Word are his \ his are God's Word

3) God did both
  • showed mercy to A&E, promised them a Savior
  • showed mercy to Israel when they rejected him continually
  • spared Nineveh when they repented
  • sent prophet after prophet to call Israel to repentance despite them being repeatedly killed
  • had prophets write his word down
  • kept the promise of Savior intact
  • gave me Jesus' perfection \ Jesus' life of keeping all the law and the right to be declared righteous
>> and <<
  • cursed creation \ put enmity between people and between the children of God and children of Satan
  • regretted that he created mankind & send a flood to destroy all
  • sent the angle of death to kill all the firstborn of Egypt
    • (and those who didn't have the blood of the lamb on their door posts)
  • destroyed all the inhabitants found in evil cities
  • promised that evil will not go unpunished ...
  • and made Jesus out to be the worst despicable sinner that will ever walk the face of the earth

That is who God is.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It seems my attempt to educate people about the origins of hate in the human psyche was a failure for some. Hate is a human weakness and we DO hate. . . BUT God has no human weaknesses and God does NOT Hate. God is grieved by evil and He does not DO evil. God is grieved by vengeance and He does not do vengeance. Our ignorant primitive ancestors had no conception other than the human emotions . . . THAT is why Christ was needed.
That is why God hates sin and sinner and is just in doing so ... he is not bound by human weakness or human intelligence or any hateful regard for the inspiration of the Bible with your cop-out slogan " ignorant primitive ancestors ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity