Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 PM

45,706 posts, read 27,325,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
How do you know the two are mutually exclusive?

Are you suggesting that God only relishes in your suffering?

God: "Whoa, now, you're enjoying that WAY too much. Stop pleasing yourself and please me instead you ingrate. I want praise and glory and my boots licked and my butt kissed. Stop having fun, dammit, and suffer!"
You know, you need to repent from even making such a blasphemous statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,333,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
God gave us this strong biological drive ultimately to reproduce and make sure the human race propagates. Within the institution of marriage, it is beautiful. Outside that it is destructive.
God apparently gave us a strong biological drive that is damn near impossible to resist. Few people ever do. On top of that, God gave us an almost irresistable biological drive that is ALWAYS on. In other words, we do not have a rutting period like most animals do. Nope. We want sex. All the time.

But wait, God isn't done jerking us around quite yet. Not only did God give us an almost irresitable biological drive that never shuts off, he also made it part of the male's nature to impregnate multiple females in order to better ensure the survival of both is progeny and his unique DNA.

No, no, don't scroll to the next post yet. Uh uh. Because not only did God give humanity an almost irresistable biological drive that never shuts off AND giving the male a strong desire to impregnate multiple females to ensure the survival of his progeny and unique DNA, God then thought it would be cute to make just about every form of sex a sin, placing highly restrictive rules, including ....

Including the concept of marriage! Because God must really get deep rumbling belly laughs watching men struggle constantly against the biological urge to impregnate more than one woman - that urge which God gave them. Yeah, what a knee-slapping, whoopee cushion, hand buzzer comedian God must be hyuk hyuk hyuking around Heaven as tens of millions of men fall prey to their own God-given natures.

And that's just the mainstream stuff. We won't even get into other things like homosexuality, bisexuality, asexuality, transgenderedness, various fetishes, pedophilia, masturbation, and ... need I really go on? In fact, God made humanity all but obsessive over sex. You see it everywhere, sometimes implied, sometimes in your face. It is a frequent topic of conversation at parties no matter how genteel, it's all over the television, there's a sex scene in almost -every- movie even when the movie has nothing to do with romance, and a poll last year showed that Americans believe that good sex is the single most important ingredient for a lasting marriage. If you read, if you view any type of media, if you leave your house, you are going to be hit with hundreds of sexual inuedos, suggestions, and images.

And, wait for this ... wait, wait ... are you waiting? Yes, sex is all over the place even in the BIBLE!! And I'm not talking about the rules for sex, I'm talking about the actual sex act. But what's disgusting about it is that, no matter how "dirty" or provocative modern sex might be - unlike the Bible, we really don't think moms and sons should be romping in the hay producing offspring. Apparently those Bible guys thought nothing of family members ... uh ... keeping it ALL within the family.

And when you take a few steps back from all of this God-pleasing and God-appeasing and praise God here and glorify God there and God, God, God, God, the neediest most insecure entity to ever grace the nether regions beyond time and space; when you take a few steps back and actually look at it from a wider angle, you get a much better idea of how utterly looodicrous this all is. And still, your ancient myths have so many of you hopping around like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs just to keep that ol' God happy.

It reminds me of one of those old games for kids ... like Operation. Remember that one? But instead of plucking out funny bones and wish bones with a pair of tweezers, you're having sex and hoping beyond all hope that you don't hear an obnoxious buzz and see God's nose light up. If you do, uh oh, better start repenting.

I know I'm being a bit facetious in my language but I'm as serious as a Vulcan insurance seminar with Spock as the key note speaker. It's no wonder people in the 30 and below age bracket are kicking Christianity to the curb.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,333,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You know, you need to repent from even making such a blasphemous statement.
LOL!

I just don't know what to say about that except to LOL some more.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
How do you decide that the purpose is to please the flesh? What exactly does it mean to "please the flesh?"

And what criteria does a surgical procedure have to meet in order to "honor god?"

Is weight-loss surgery honoring god, or is it pleasing the flesh? How about working out at the gym? Doing sit-ups? Dieting? Brushing your teeth?

I suppose cosmetic plastic surgery is a sin, but what about someone who's been disfigured by facial burns? Is it OK for them to have plastic surgery to restore their face? Is that pleasing the flesh, or honoring god? I mean, after all, god decided they were scheduled to have their face burned in the first place, so wouldn't it be going against his master plan for the universe to have your face fixed by a plastic surgeon?

For that matter, what if you break your leg? God was the one who decided you were going to break your leg to begin with, so if you go to a doctor to have the broken bone set, is that a sin? All you're trying to do is avoid spending the rest of your life hobbling around with a bent leg, but when you get down to it, that makes it a pleasure of the flesh, right? So that would be a sin, because you're not doing it to honor god.

I ask again... how do you guys keep track of all this stuff that you're supposed to do and not supposed to do? Seriously; I'm not just trying to stir you up. I really want to know how y'all keep track of all the things you're supposed to do every single day to keep god happy, and to avoid hurting his feelings. It has to take an incredible amount of effort. What kind of a god do you believe in, that would require that of you?
You just said cosmetic surgery is a sin... you should have stopped there.

God doesn't like cross-dressing...

Deuteronomy 22:5 - "A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.

I don't think He would be pleased with a sex change.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I agree with you 100%. I think some people just become so narrow minded that they can't see the forest for the trees. This is what I call a gray area. No where in Scripture does it say that we are pleasing the flesh if we are born with a birth defect or disfigured and need to medically correct it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
So then children who are born with birth defects should just suck it up and live with it. Spinal bifida, heart defects, cleft palate... we'd better stop operating on those children right away, and let it just turn out however it turns out. We wouldn't want god to destroy the city or anything like that because he's offended by the doctors or the parents suggesting he "got it wrong."
A birth defect or disfigurement is one thing... that was not the question in this thread.

Maybe Scripture never said it because in that day, they could not fathom anybody doing such a thing as changing their sex.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,745,758 times
Quote:
A birth defect or disfigurement is one thing... that was not the question in this thread.

Maybe Scripture never said it because in that day, they could not fathom anybody doing such a thing as changing their sex.
Yes, but there are plenty of things the writers of scripture couldn't imagine, such as stealth aircraft, sniper rifles, the Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection System, chemical warfare, predator unmanned aerial vehicles, and more. I guess it's up to us to decide what God might like and what God might not.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Yes, but there are plenty of things the writers of scripture couldn't imagine, such as stealth aircraft, sniper rifles, the Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection System, chemical warfare, predator unmanned aerial vehicles, and more. I guess it's up to us to decide what God might like and what God might not.
That's why I started on page 1 with the issue of pleasing the flesh.

When you talk of sex change, I can't imagine a reason to do that in order to give glory to God. If one is correcting something wrong, that's one thing - but a man that desires to walk around being a woman... that's sin to me.

It is a sin that Christ paid for on the cross. Doesn't make it OK to do in God's eyes though.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,195,741 times
If you follow the teachings of the lord and savior, Jesus Christ, then, no, it is not a sin. Remember what his teachings were. Be true to God, yourself, and to others.

Don't be misguided by the Bible and church.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,745,758 times
Quote:
That's why I started on page 1 with the issue of pleasing the flesh.

When you talk of sex change, I can't imagine a reason to do that in order to give glory to God. If one is correcting something wrong, that's one thing - but a man that desires to walk around being a woman... that's sin to me.

It is a sin that Christ paid for on the cross. Doesn't make it OK to do in God's eyes though.
I see God very differently from you.

I think God simply would want us to be caring toward those who are in need, and to not provoke or start wars, which kill so many of his "offspring."

I don't think God is so petty, so tiny, so shallow, so superficial, so worried about the insignificant things of life, while huge things are going on (such as the murder of thousands by war).

Old 07-26-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you follow the teachings of the lord and savior, Jesus Christ, then, no, it is not a sin. Remember what his teachings were. Be true to God, yourself, and to others.

Don't be misguided by the Bible and church.
How did you gain those instructions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity