Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post

Jesus taught us not to worry about our outward appearance:.........<snip>

It is not for me to judge as each individual case should be discussed within their church and elders, but I cannot see how getting such an operation could be used to bring glory and honor to God. The same goes for enhancement surgery, plastic surgery or any other procedure that is intended for cosmetic reasons. As a follower of Christ, our desire should be to reflect Jesus in our lives, not to reflect ourselves.
Soooo.... What's the child born with a disfigurement supposed to do? Or a child who has been burned and is scarred. Is that child supposed to forgo plastic surgery because it's cosmetic? Is he supposed to... what..... deal with with being bullied at school because "Jesus taught us to not worry about our outward appearance"?

Is that how it works? Is the soldier who returns from Iraq with half a face supposed to forgo cosmetic surgery? (Ever been in a burn ward?)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-27-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,259,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Soooo.... What's the child born with a disfigurement supposed to do? Not have plastic surgery because it's cosmetic? Not worry that he's getting bullied at school because "Jesus taught us to not worry about our outward appearance"?

Is that how it works?
I was speaking of adults, not children. If a parent wishes to correct a disfigurement then I see nothing wrong with that according to God's Word.

However, if you are an adult and you are making a decision regarding altering your physical appearance, it must be done for the right reasons according to God, as I laid out above.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,454,545 times
Slavery is a product of the past.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
That is what they are *all* doing. Their bodies indicate the wrong gender based on what they know themselves inside to be. They are correcting their outer body to match their inner identity.

Surely you wouldn't stop considering yourself to be the gender you are if you woke up tomorrow with a different set of genitals. Most of us are fortunate enough that our gender coincides with our genitals. Not everyone is. How about empathy and compassion instead of judgment?
Empathy and compassion are rarely found among the people who have the gall to decide what is acceptable and what's not and what is a sin and what's not.

Actual knowledge about WHY this surgery is done is rarer still.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I know it's kind of your 'thing' to posted bolded one-word statements, but every once in a while a little explanation would be nice. Slavery to what? For what? To whom? What past?

Old 07-27-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Empathy and compassion are rarely found among the people who have the gall to decide what is acceptable and what's not and what is a sin and what's not.

Actual knowledge about WHY this surgery is done is rarer still.
Actually, I follow the Word of God, so any statements are based in His objective morality, not my own.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:02 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,456,843 times
If said morality were truly objective, all believers would understand it the same way. In fact, non-believers, though they might reject it, would understand it the same way. After all, what use is having an objective morality if it's not clear to the ones who are supposed to follow it?

The difference between you and me is that I am aware that I am making my own moral decisions based on my own brain and conscience. We're both doing it.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:13 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,454,545 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
I know it's kind of your 'thing' to post bold one-word statements, but every once in a while a little explanation would be nice.
Slavery to what? For what? To whom? What past?
It's my way of getting people to think for themselves, but often times they fail to do so; And remain in bondage.

"Love and forgiveness are the greatest virtues; free from bias or any injustice, that heals the soul."

It’s the only aspect of life which we can freely participate in, everything else consists of pride and arrogance.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
If said morality were truly objective, all believers would understand it the same way.
I don't believe this to be true. God's objective morality, by definition, exists outside of subjective interpretations. There are people who believe the Holocaust or the moon landing never actually happened. However, their belief or interpretation of the facts can not change the objective fact of what actually happened.

It sounds to me like your objection is that if God had an objective morality, He would make it clearer than the 66 books of the Bible lay it out.

The problem with such an argument, is that without removing mankinds free will, there is no possible way that God could convey His morality that would not be perverted by our sinful desires. Even if God Himself came down on live CNN television and said, "These are my commandments." and wrote them with lasers, etched into the surface of the moon, people would still pervert and alter His words.

The Scripture is a testimony to the nature and will of God. One just has to read it. If you are a follower of Christ, you have the Holy Spirit and God Himself to help you discern what you should do in any situation through prayer and study of the Scripture.

Proverbs says, 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding'.

I trust God that when He says I should not do anything out of vain or selfish motives, I shouldn't do it.

So getting back to the original topic, 'Should a Christian Get a Sex Change?' the answer is found in the Scripture and it primarily has to do with your motives. Are your motives to glorify God? If the answer is no, then it is sin and you should pray to God that He would help you focus your identity on the things of God, not of the world.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
It's my way of getting people to think for themselves, but often times they fail to do so; And remain in bondage.

"Love and forgiveness are the greatest virtues; free from bias or any injustice, that heals the soul."

It’s the only aspect of life which we can freely participate in, everything else consists of pride and arrogance.
Indeed, love and forgiveness are vital to our walk with God, but Jesus taught us that it is with love that we strive to keep each other on the narrow path. Allowing someone who is spiritually weaker to become ensared in sin without helping them isn't love, far from it. It's definately not pride or arrogance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity