Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 02:16 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Any sex outside of marriage is a sin. As far as people telling others they are sinning, I don't think it happens now a days. Remember no one is suppose to be judgmental anymore, in fact, being judgmental now is the worse sin of all.
This is completely contrary to the Scriptures. If you have heard this from a second-hand source, I would advise you to search it out again to correct your doctrine. Jesus clearly taught us to judge, but only if we judge without hypocrisy. (Matt. 7:5) Those who are non-hypocritical are called to judge according to Jesus and affirmed many times by Paul and others. (1 Corinth. 2:15) I find this is the most pervasive false teaching found among modern Christians today because it falls right in line with the tolerance movement of our society. However, it is not what God requires of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
My wife and I lived together before we were married, at the time we were both attending the University of Cincinnati. The area around the university is a hot bed of crime, rape, robbery, assault, home invasions, etc. not that the rest of the city is any better but UC students are frequent crime victims. My wife's parents were also split up, her dad was in Florida and her mom could have cared less about her well being. We lived together back then so I could make sure she was safe and provided for, I can't see the logic in considering that to be a "sin."
Regardless of your alleged good intentions, God's commands are firm. Throughout the Scripture, sin was met with judgement even if the intentions seemed good. The main issue is that you disobeyed what God wanted because you didn't place your trust in Him to keep her safe, so you sinned in order to place your trust in yourself and your own will.

We must obey God and keep His Word and trust that He will work all things for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 02:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
This is completely contrary to the Scriptures. If you have heard this from a second-hand source, I would advise you to search it out again to correct your doctrine. Jesus clearly taught us to judge, but only if we judge without hypocrisy. (Matt. 7:5) Those who are non-hypocritical are called to judge according to Jesus and affirmed many times by Paul and others. (1 Corinth. 2:15) I find this is the most pervasive false teaching found among modern Christians today because it falls right in line with the tolerance movement of our society. However, it is not what God requires of us.

Regardless of your alleged good intentions, God's commands are firm. Throughout the Scripture, sin was met with judgement even if the intentions seemed good. The main issue is that you disobeyed what God wanted because you didn't place your trust in Him to keep her safe, so you sinned in order to place your trust in yourself and your own will.

We must obey God and keep His Word and trust that He will work all things for good.
There are no commands in Scripture against co-habitation. None.

Also, God is not at any obligation to keep any Christian safe. You can see the be-headings of ISIS to confirm that. In fact, Scripture tells us many times that Christians are not guaranteed safety. You sir, need to read your Bible a little more carefully and stop believing in hearsay.

If a Christian denies Jesus Christ to keep his/herself safe, THAT is disobeying God. Woxyroxme did no such thing. Also, if a Christian seeks safety from a tornado, is said Christian not trusting God to keep them safe? You sound like you believe in the health and wealth Gospel, wherein being a believer is enough to keep you out of harm's way.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:44 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,379,056 times
Quote:

Wow, now we have "Firm" commandments on "not living together before marriage"...Do any of you fundies know the definition of the phrase "prove it"? Its only been asked repeatedly over the last few pages...

Old 09-26-2014, 02:50 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Wow, now we have "Firm" commandments on "not living together before marriage"...Do any of you fundies know the definition of the phrase "prove it"? Its only been asked repeatedly over the last few pages...
Meanwhile their responses are "God's Word is CLEAR and you cannot change it no matter how much you want to justify living in sin!"

All I am asking for is a Bible verse. A verse. One. Singular.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:57 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,535 times
If I were asked I would say they are missing out on some of God's blessings. When you get married you invite God in to your marriage with a covenant. He acts as a mediator and intercessor between you and your spouse, for the best outcome possible when you come to him in prayer for every situation. I would present it that way.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:52 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,504,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Then how do you explain the Tanakh characters?...Even during the engagement process, a child born is considered legitimate...So, having sex with an unbetrothed woman, one must pay a dowry to her father and then take her as wife, he can never get rid of her for the rest of his life...So, that's the punishment for that sin?...Marriage by G-d's standards or man's?...By man's one must have a certificate to prove it, where is this indicated anywhere in the bible?...
So you are trying to live now like they did in ancient times?

There are many marriages in the bible and sex was saved for marriage. I don't know what they did in the line of certificates but the couple made vows in front of the whole community so they could like together as husband and wife.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
My wife and I lived together before we were married, at the time we were both attending the University of Cincinnati. The area around the university is a hot bed of crime, rape, robbery, assault, home invasions, etc. not that the rest of the city is any better but UC students are frequent crime victims. My wife's parents were also split up, her dad was in Florida and her mom could have cared less about her well being. We lived together back then so I could make sure she was safe and provided for, I can't see the logic in considering that to be a "sin."
Well it would not have been a sin if you lived like brother and sister.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:41 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
What do you think of two unmarried Christians living together in a long-term romantic relationship? What would you say/do to try to convince them of what they should do?
Well, it's definitely explicitly against God's commandments. As I belong to a Church that holds it's members to a high standard, hearing about a "devoted Christian" and his live-in girlfriend always strikes me as a massive contradiction. Any such Christian would have to either break up and move out or get married if they wanted to join with us.

"Living in sin" does not nullify an individual's Christianity nor does it invalidate their belief. What it does do is demonstrate that they are more devoted to the world and its standards than God and his standards. Living together unmarried and having children, etc: That is okay by the world's standards. That is not okay by God's standards.

There's a lot more to it as well. While it is not always the case, unmarried cohabitating couples of any religion (or no religion) are generally not fully committed to the relationship. A dear friend of my wife's has a live-in boyfriend and has had three children with him. At one point, she caught on that he was secretly texting back and forth an ex-girlfriend. She got mad about it, which made sense to me. He decided she was trying to tell him how he had to live his life. So he was all set to back up and leave her that very night until she talked him out of it. He continues to put off marrying her largely because he doesn't seem to want to give up his freedom to walk away at a moment's notice. As long as he continues to support the three children (which he was already doing anyways) he loses nothing. If he married her, he would stand to lose more in the leaving. So his girlfriend and three children live in constant anxiety, knowing that their whole world could be ripped apart at a moment's notice. It's already happened many times over and it's a terrible thing to see.

In that case, it's just pure selfishness IMHO. To anyone doing the whole living together thing who claims that they are just as devoted as any married couple, I would ask one simple question: So why don't you just get married then??

Old 09-26-2014, 04:44 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well it would not have been a sin if you lived like brother and sister.
That's ISIS mentality, and why I don't go to church.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
That's ISIS mentality, and why I don't go to church.
WOW, I don't get your rational here. Who has threatened to cut off your head if you co-habitate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity