Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:30 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,382,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
A very short list can be found here: What Does the Bible Say About Chastity?

The exhaustive list would be gigantic.
GASP! Someone listed verses!! ...about time. Which one or more of these verses talks about cohabitation before marriage or forbits ALL non-marital sexual relations? Before you answer, keep in mind that the Greek word behind Sexual Immorality literally translates to "Prostitution" and even if we do consider it to mean Sexual Immorality, that would be defined as what was listed as a Sin (requiring a Blood Sacrifice of some kind) in the Torah Law and arguably what they defined as sin in the New Testament...though the new testament didn't exist at the time they were writing these things. Also remember Pauls words: "Where there is no law, there is no transgression." (Romans 4:15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You could ask them to look at the web site Chastity.com It talks about what sex is and isn't and how it affects us.

http://www.chastity.com/article/coha...-live-together

Marriage and Divorce | Chastity.com
There are really no verses in these links. This is not about whether its wise, but whether its biblically forbidden. While it arguably may not be wise in most cases, that doesn't mean all cases...Oh yeah, and most of the people here are some variation of Protestant rather than Catholic.

Last edited by Jrhockney; 09-29-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
None of those verses said anything about co-habitation.
There aren't any verses that explicitly forbid it, but let me ask you, do you think it's realistic for a man and woman who are physically attracted to one another to live in the same household, behind closed doors, to not want to have sex with one another?

I think it would be extremely rare to find anyone that can. The idea of seeing someone undressing, being with less clothes, in a vulnerable state, or even just being that physically close to someone it tough. We simply as fleshly people do not have the power to avoid being tempted in such situations.

I am reminded of a couple of verses. James 1:14 stating that we are tempted by our own desires. How do you avoid temptation? Clearly fornication is a temptation. Do you put yourself in a position that you are always around temptation? If I know donuts are bad for me, but I love eating them, do I keep walking up to the donut shop or do I avoid it? If I know living with someone could cause me to sin, then why put myself in that position?

And as far as being a leader in the church, there are things that people struggle with and you have to be careful what you condone just like in 1 Corinthians 8. You could sit there and deal with someone you are attracted to and not act on it, but what happens to those who are weaker? Would condoning that lifestyle, not be a stumbling block for those who are too weak to abstain from such behavior?

1 Corinthians 7:9 talks about if you burn with that passion that it would be better to marry, so if you are in a situation like that where you are tempted, by being in close parameters with your significant other then marrying makes more sense than simply trying to overcome something that may be a struggle.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If you go back far enough, there was no government marriage where certificates were issued.

As far as I'm concerned, if two people make a commitment to be together, then they're married. The certificate is nothing but a legal document that affects your taxes, inheritance and other rights.
You just said the key words, as far as "I'm".

I will say though in biblical times the signal of a marriage was usually based on a public ceremony declaring their commitment to one another. Everyone is different, but does living with someone signify a commitment to a relationship? I'm not sure how relative that point is, because there are different levels of commitment and different types of commitment but there is only one type of marriage that God recognizes. Everything that is considered a commitment, may not be in God's eyes.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I though G-d never changes, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow?...
First of all, do you really think leaving one letter off is going to change anything?

Secondly, what does having a certificate have to do with God?

Old 09-29-2014, 12:23 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,382,069 times
Oops, I forgot to change the name on the second quote to "janelle144" and its already past the time I can edit it It should look like this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by janelle144

You could ask them to look at the web site Chastity.com
It talks about what sex is and isn't and how it affects us.

http://www.chastity.com/article/coha...-live-together

Marriage
and Divorce | Chastity.com

Moderators, feel free to make that correction!

Old 09-30-2014, 03:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,064,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
You just said the key words, as far as "I'm".

I will say though in biblical times the signal of a marriage was usually based on a public ceremony declaring their commitment to one another. Everyone is different, but does living with someone signify a commitment to a relationship? I'm not sure how relative that point is, because there are different levels of commitment and different types of commitment but there is only one type of marriage that God recognizes. Everything that is considered a commitment, may not be in God's eyes.
So, what IS that one type of marriage?...

Old 09-30-2014, 03:42 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,064,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
First of all, do you really think leaving one letter off is going to change anything?

Secondly, what does having a certificate have to do with God?
What's your point?...

Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
So, what IS that one type of marriage?...
Matthew 19:3-9

Old 09-30-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
What's your point?...
My point is, what asking you, what point does one letter make for you? Do you think not putting that o changes the meaning behind that name?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:26 AM

225 posts, read 162,237 times
Quote:
=crankywithakeyboard;36526634]What do you think of two unmarried Christians living together in a long-term romantic relationship? What would you say/do to try to convince them of what they should do?
One might point out the 6th; & 9th commandments.

Then point out that Heaven and Hell are REAL! Ask them if they believe this fact?

Mt. 19: 16 And behold, one came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?" And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments."

Jer.31: 33 “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people”

Rev.2: 23 “and I will strike her children dead. And all the churches shall know that I am he who searches mind and heart, and I will give to each of you as your works deserve.”

Patrick
IamACatholic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity