Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 PM

20,469 posts, read 12,868,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I used to believe like you did. But many churches think that parts of the Bible are not inspired, with good reason. They were influenced by the attitudes of the day. They were not written by God. The early followers of Jesus might have had nothing in common with what the religion of Christianity became. So you are making a lot of assumptions when you declare whether something is "godly" or not. It is only what your particular interpretation of the faith declares it to be. But you don't actually know how God feels about it. You tell yourself that the Bible books were written by God, and so you think you know what God thinks about certain issues.
Aren't you making assumptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 10:20 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,575,567 times
Quote:
I used to believe like you did. But many churches think that parts of the Bible are not inspired, with good reason. They were influenced by the attitudes of the day. They were not written by God. The early followers of Jesus might have had nothing in common with what the religion of Christianity became. So you are making a lot of assumptions when you declare whether something is "godly" or not. It is only what your particular interpretation of the faith declares it to be. But you don't actually know how God feels about it. You tell yourself that the Bible books were written by God, and so you think you know what God thinks about certain issues.
The Trustworthy Prophetic Word
16 For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17 For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.

19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed,[a] which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,[b] 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God[c] spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

That's 2 Peter chapter 1. You'll have to cojure up a better explanation than what you offered if you expect to get any traction with the 'evolving word' argument. The Bible is a realible collection of historical documents, written by eyewitnesses, during the lifetimes of other eyewitnesses. There are over 23,000 archaelogical digs to back it up, and over 20,000 manuscripts or portions thereof to back it up. Your opinion about God's 'feelings' indicate your belief in the supremacy of man, not the supremacy of Christ.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,933,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That's just the way I chose to word things. But at the same time I know I am doing it, so you are right. But you would never hear a fundamentalist say that. All I hear from them is circular reasoning: God said it, so it must be true.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
The Trustworthy Prophetic Word
16 For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17 For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.

19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed,[a] which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,[b] 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God[c] spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

That's 2 Peter chapter 1. You'll have to cojure up a better explanation than what you offered if you expect to get any traction with the 'evolving word' argument. The Bible is a realible collection of historical documents, written by eyewitnesses, during the lifetimes of other eyewitnesses. There are over 23,000 archaelogical digs to back it up, and over 20,000 manuscripts or portions thereof to back it up. Your opinion about God's 'feelings' indicate your belief in the supremacy of man, not the supremacy of Christ.
You can believe that Peter wrote that if you are that gullible. Why would they have needed to make so many thousands of copies if they were just spreading what God has already written in our hearts (according to the old testament)? It sounds suspiciously like propaganda. Don't take me for a fool.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,575,567 times
I never called you a fool, but you have Romans 1 splattered all over you. I encourage you to repent, and ask for wisdom and understanding.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
I never called you a fool, but you have Romans 1 splattered all over you. I encourage you to repent, and ask for wisdom and understanding.
I have already repented from being in a hate-filled denomination based on fear. You have no idea how liberating it is to see God's plan and to live as He desires us to.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 AM

6,674 posts, read 4,307,418 times
Quote:
That is only true for fundamentalist Christianity. Extremist Christianity.

It is also hypocritical because fundamentalists are committing many sins against people by condemning them of this particular sin. Making it out to be one of the worst things a person can do, while overlooking many others just because they are more "acceptable" to their culture at this moment in history. Jesus had a lot to say about that Pharisaical attitude. But Christians could care less about many things Jesus said.

Fundamentalist Christians actually think Jesus was a load of garbage. That is how they regard his most central teachings.
I don't agree with your OP, but this is a true and something I see often. Christians will condemn homosexuality like nothing else, but turn a blind eye to the "minor" sins (lying, cheating) because they may do it one day. If you're straight, you're safe in attacking homosexuality. Sin is sin.

The church would be better served welcoming everyone and showing them the love of God rather than sending everyone to hell.

I remember hearing old timers saying that they were taught if they went to a movie when the rapture happened they would be left behind. That's not meant to start a debate about the rapture, just using it as an example of being condemning and sin conscious.

I went to one church and the pastor's wife of the Spanish congregation left him, went to live with another guy and got pregnant. The church promptly threw him out. Yeah. Hit a guy when he's down. Way to show the world that Jesus is loving .

Old 10-01-2014, 06:53 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,980,098 times
Quote:
That's just the way I chose to word things. But at the same time I know I am doing it, so you are right. But you would never hear a fundamentalist say that. All I hear from them is circular reasoning: God said it, so it must be true.
And a major teaching of Jesus' ministry and teaching is that our nrelationship nwith God and man is not about rules or laws that don'tspeak about what is best for everyone in any particular situation. Fundamentalists don't care about what is best, they only care about their rule and they not only have nothing to show as harm coming from a committed same-sex relationship, they have no answer for the blessings that DO. THIS is where the OP has it right, though I don't think it is about hatred for gay people, just a lack of empathy because of a historical attitude.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:17 AM

20,469 posts, read 12,868,644 times
Quote:
I have already repented from being in a hate-filled denomination based on fear. You have no idea how liberating it is to see God's plan and to live as He desires us to.
Here's my experience:

I have already repented from my sin based on Jesus' redemptive work on the cross. You have no idea how liberating it is to see God's plan and to live as He desires us to.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:31 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,449,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Quote:
Yes, and then the further assumption that anyone who doesn't view the bible the same way is rejecting God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity