Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,198,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You can believe that Peter wrote that if you are that gullible. Why would they have needed to make so many thousands of copies if they were just spreading what God has already written in our hearts (according to the old testament)? It sounds suspiciously like propaganda. Don't take me for a fool.
has it occurred to you that through generations and chances in languages some things have been misinterpreted? This is not propaganda by any means, but yes, times have changed. Life was much simpler and easier to understand during the biblical days. You are making too many assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM

277 posts, read 229,091 times
Quote:
When their statement of faith says something like this:
"We believe the Bible is the infallible, final word of God on all matters."

I don't care how friendly the people are. I don't care what kind of activities they have. I don't care what the music is like (whether new or traditional). I don't care what they do for the poor (because they are also spreading their "message" to anyone they are supposedly "helping.") I don't care if they try to be open to different races.

They usually have a "love the sinner, hate the sin" attitude towards LGBT people.

I'm sorry. That church is full of hate and they don't even know it. It doesn't matter how friendly or hip the people seem. There is still a lot of narrow minded thinking in a church like that.

Same old same old.

Does anyone else feel this way about churches like this?
Let me give you a clue why the true body of Christ rejects the 'LGBT lifestyle'. Because we believe the Bible and the Bible clearly says:

1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

In the the Greek text that the Bible comes from, 'abusers of themselves with mankind' is one word;

arsenokoitēs- it means 'a sodomite'...Do you know what Sodomy is? The Bible wholly condems sodomy and tells believers to condemn it as well. It is not about hating the person, but showing them that it is wrong and that God will judge for it. If they have true faith in the power of God, they will be set free from that or any other sin that 'so easily besets them'.

Scripture warns;

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

The bottom line is that they need help that can only come from God-through Jesus Christ.

(To the Mods- I realize that is a touchy post, but it is a foundational teaching of the Bible. If you are going to have a religious forum you are going to have to allow us to speak it. It is no different that having a forum where people can talk about their sexual preferences).

The fact is, for those who reject God, He warns that he will give them over to those very things...

Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

It comes down to whether or not you believe the Bible is true and whether or not God will hold to His words on the day of judgment. Eternity is a long time to be wrong....To those who do not want to stand for the truth, you are denying Him before men and He will deny you before the angels of Heaven.

TC

Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,942,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
How do you know what is "good"? Isn't that subjective and based on your own thoughts? Amongst people, there is no standard of what is considered good or bad, is that not true?
How do you know what is "God"?

Is it better to trust your heart or a book written by men?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
You seem to focus on Man every time. Completely leaving God out of the equation
No, you are focused on the Men who wrote the Bible, giving them all your faith and trust.

I trust only what God speaks through my heart.
I can trust no man.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:32 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,038,143 times
Quote:
How do you know what is "God"?

Is it better to trust your heart or a book written by men?
Don't deflect. I asked you a simple question. How do YOU, OzzyRules, know what is good or what is bad? Is that determination that you make not subjective?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,272,339 times
Quote:
When their statement of faith says something like this:
"We believe the Bible is the infallible, final word of God on all matters."

I don't care how friendly the people are. I don't care what kind of activities they have. I don't care what the music is like (whether new or traditional). I don't care what they do for the poor (because they are also spreading their "message" to anyone they are supposedly "helping.") I don't care if they try to be open to different races.

They usually have a "love the sinner, hate the sin" attitude towards LGBT people.

I'm sorry. That church is full of hate and they don't even know it. It doesn't matter how friendly or hip the people seem. There is still a lot of narrow minded thinking in a church like that.

Same old same old.

Does anyone else feel this way about churches like this?
So what you're saying is that the Gospel, which tells us that certain behavior is sinful, is offensive? And that you're ok with a church, as long as it's just a social club to go to, and you don't get told that you ought to actually adhere to some standards?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Don't deflect. I asked you a simple question. How do YOU, OzzyRules, know what is good or what is bad? Is that determination that you make not subjective?
Because I have a BRAIN. Just like you. You don't need a book to tell you when you are mistreating other people. If you do something good people smile. Something bad, they frown.

If the Bible goes against what I already know in my heart is good, then I cannot trust the Bible anymore.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:55 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,178,375 times
Quote:
Homosexuality is the one sin that is very clear because you can see it by the way one dress, acts, or even the people they are around.

Holy crikey, I had no idea there were people that still thought this!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So what you're saying is that the Gospel, which tells us that certain behavior is sinful, is offensive? And that you're ok with a church, as long as it's just a social club to go to, and you don't get told that you ought to actually adhere to some standards?
The standards of the Bible were based on ancient societies. We have evolved since then. Many things in the Bible go against our standards today, so it must be thrown out as "outdated."

Fundamentalist Christians have already thrown out the Old Testament because its laws are outdated. As soon as they accept homosexuality in their own churches, guess what they will throw out next: The New Testament.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:00 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,038,143 times
Quote:
Because I have a BRAIN. Just like you. You don't need a book to tell you when you are mistreating other people. If you do something good people smile. Something bad, they frown.

If the Bible goes against what I already know in my heart is good, then I cannot trust the Bible anymore.
So if someone steals your car and they smile that means it's good to them right? They have a brain just like you and they don't need a book to tell them when they are mistreating other people. They believe they are doing what they need to help their family survive. There are people like this who live like this around the world and from our perspective it seems wrong but to them this is part of their culture. The idea that you believe you know what is good or bad is a matter of subjective truth. You cannot determine what will be good or bad for the next person just based on your own perspective. That type of thinking is narrow-minded and is limited by your own personal experience (which is limited because you do not know have a general understanding of every single thing outside of your own life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity