Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 04:16 PM

277 posts, read 229,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Lots of Pauline Christianity in your post. But what did Jesus have to say about it? Nothing at all. Guess He must have been as interested in them as he was the gluttons, drunkards, and prostitutes.

You are absolutely right- Jesus was as interested in them as anyone else...He was sent to set them free from sin:

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

He was talking about those who are captive to the Devil:

2Ti 2:26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Where do you think Paul got his teaching from? Who was Paul being given direction from here and what did he tell him?:

Act 26:15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
Act 26:16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Act 26:17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
Act 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Paul's teaching comes straight from the teachings of Jesus. If you don't like Paul's words, you certainly wont like Jesus words either:

Joh 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Joh 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Jesus did not say 'hey keep committing sodomy, keep being a fornicator or adulterer, keep worshipping your idols, he said sin no more. If you don't like it, don't follow Jesus, but don't expect a hall pass on judgment day because you 'believe':

Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Your words are like a canker... and they are in contradiction to the words of God. I hope you don't call yourself a 'Christian' because if so, your punishment will be far worse than the 'unbeliever' since those who carry His name and cause it to be mocked receive far greater punishment:

Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

....consider it.

TC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 04:20 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,255,957 times
A statement like that would cause me to be interested in the church because I believe the Bible is inerrant/infallible. I don't believe God would give us a book about Him full of errors.

If it's a deal breaker for you, just find a church that ignores Bible verses you don't like or waters it down so it's not so offensive. Those churches are everywhere now. To each his own.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,942,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
That is priceless - It is the perfect recipe for eternal separation from God!

Satan has you right where he wants and you seem to think you are in control!! tisk tisk. woe unto those that refuse to believe GOD!!

I am finished with listening to children trying to use human reasoning in place of God's Holy Word(s).
I appreciate your enthusiasm to your faith. I used to have the same level of enthusiasm for the same faith you do now. But then I just realized one day that there seemed to be very little basis, added to the fact that this type of belief can do psychological damage to those who believe it. The contradictions of the beliefs played games with my mind. I honestly think that the idea of Satan came from the book of Job, and then Satan evolved over time. In the book of Job and in the Genesis creation story, Satan seems to be a "being" that represents our lowest nature: Denying our sin, blaming it on other people, or blaming it on an invisible demon. When Satan requested permission from God to tempt Job, I think that was a symbolic way of explaining the doubts and other things that were going through Job's mind, which is documented throughout that entire book. But in the end it was just Job and God, and there was no Satan. I believe Job was written before Genesis, and Genesis was another way of retelling of the "fall" of a person into sin.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:27 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,771,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Common sense, coupled with not being a slave to the bible.
Common sense and not believing in the Bible allows you to read God's mind???

That's quite impressive I must say.

Bear in mind, I wasn't asking with any particular agenda in mind. You asserted that God could care less about something fairly specific. It really wouldn't matter what that something is. The point is that you seem to presume to know the mind and will of God. No matter who is making such a claim, that's a pretty audacious claim.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:35 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,771,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You're judging me too. You're USING religion to justify your hatred. People do it all over the world and people are killed in the name of religion. It's sickening, really.

The Bible OBVIOUSLY isn't that clear, or you wouldn't have a thousand different "versions" of Christianity. And there is plenty of evidence that current translations of the Bible are incorrect, based on the original Greek. You look for what YOU want to see in the Bible, then tell gay people they're all hell-bound sinners who you should be able to legally discriminate against.

And remember, plenty of Christians don't believe homosexuality is any more a sin than heterosexuality. Just those who try to hide their bigotry behind their religion.
I honestly can't speak for anyone else, but I do not hate gay people. I think that engaging in homosexual actions is wrong in the eyes of God. That doesn't mean I hate anyone. Why do so many people assume hatred is there when it is not??

There are parents who have kids who are in the process of ruining their lives on drugs. Others are parents to children who are in prison for violent crimes. The vast majority of those parents don't hate their children. Most of them also wish their kids had made different choices. Disagreeing with a person's choices in life does not mean you hate them. Such an assertion is absolutely absurd!!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:36 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,881,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I appreciate your enthusiasm to your faith. I used to have the same level of enthusiasm for the same faith you do now. But then I just realized one day that there seemed to be very little basis, added to the fact that this type of belief can do psychological damage to those who believe it. The contradictions of the beliefs played games with my mind. I honestly think that the idea of Satan came from the book of Job, and then Satan evolved over time. In the book of Job and in the Genesis creation story, Satan seems to be a "being" that represents our lowest nature: Denying our sin, blaming it on other people, or blaming it on an invisible demon. When Satan requested permission from God to tempt Job, I think that was a symbolic way of explaining the doubts and other things that were going through Job's mind, which is documented throughout that entire book. But in the end it was just Job and God, and there was no Satan. I believe Job was written before Genesis, and Genesis was another way of retelling of the "fall" of a person into sin.
That's a lot of speculation.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,881,235 times
Quote:
It's a book, written by men, from stories passed down over thousands of years. It's far from perfect.
So, when Jesus said, "It is written...", He meant by men?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,272,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That may seem to be a problem in your eyes, Vizio . . . but it is the Christ-affirming churches that matter to God . . . NOT the Bible-affirming ones.
How do you know that?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,272,339 times
Quote:
You're judging me too. You're USING religion to justify your hatred. People do it all over the world and people are killed in the name of religion. It's sickening, really.
And you're judging me. Why must you label me and assume you know my heart? It's sickening, really.
Quote:
The Bible OBVIOUSLY isn't that clear, or you wouldn't have a thousand different "versions" of Christianity. And there is plenty of evidence that current translations of the Bible are incorrect, based on the original Greek. You look for what YOU want to see in the Bible, then tell gay people they're all hell-bound sinners who you should be able to legally discriminate against.
Actually...yes--it is. The original Greek really isn't unclear about it. And no--having gay attraction does NOT damn you to hell any more than a straight person having lustful attraction toward the opposite gender.

Please stop telling me how I believe.
Quote:
And remember, plenty of Christians don't believe homosexuality is any more a sin than heterosexuality.
And they are wrong.
Quote:

Just those who try to hide their bigotry behind their religion.
Who is being bigoted here? You've labeled me and told me what I believe.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:55 PM

758 posts, read 856,306 times
Quote:

And remember, plenty of Christians don't believe homosexuality is any more a sin than heterosexuality. Just those who try to hide their bigotry behind their religion.

Jesus said: Judge a tree by its FRUIT!!

The Apostle Paul said - Rebuke them sharply!!

... now for an update to today's time(s) : "There is no such thing as any sexual sin!!" What ever gets you through the night!

If it feels good DO IT.

What excuses are you going to use when you stand before Jesus Christ?? "I didn't 'know??"

There is no jury in heaven - God sits on the throne!!

Revelation 21:8 Now tell me what that verse really means! It means exactly what it says in simple words.

Any child can explain those words to you quite easily BUT.. The preaching of the cross to them that will perish is foolishness.

Jesus said quite plainly : Unless you repent - (change your mind) YOU will perish.

Are you willing to "gamble" your eternal destiny??

If I regard iniquity in my heart God will not even LISTEN!!! He refuses to answer your prayers!! Makes you wonder what that really means eh?

Are you really that stupid ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity