Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

When their statement of faith says something like this:
"We believe the Bible is the infallible, final word of God on all matters."

I don't care how friendly the people are. I don't care what kind of activities they have. I don't care what the music is like (whether new or traditional). I don't care what they do for the poor (because they are also spreading their "message" to anyone they are supposedly "helping.") I don't care if they try to be open to different races.

They usually have a "love the sinner, hate the sin" attitude towards LGBT people.

I'm sorry. That church is full of hate and they don't even know it. It doesn't matter how friendly or hip the people seem. There is still a lot of narrow minded thinking in a church like that.

Same old same old.

Does anyone else feel this way about churches like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
I belong to a church like that. We do NOT hate LGBT people.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I belong to a church like that. We do NOT hate LGBT people.
Do you encourage them to show open affection?

Do you let them talk openly about their relationships to the congregation?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:41 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Do you encourage them to show open affection?

Do you let them talk openly about their relationships to the congregation?
No, not with regard to their sexual partner. By the same token, any public sin (in the church) must be dealt with, in accordance with scripture.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Part of being a loving Christian is to teach the Law. That means we also tell people of their need to turn away from sin, which includes sex outside the bonds of marriage between one man and one women. We do that because the Bible is clear; those who refuse to repent of their sins will not inherit eternal life. You cannot separate Christianity from God's word. If people do that, they have invented a new religion and created themselves their own god.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
Sorry that you're offended by the whole counsel of God. That includes the Law, as augie pointed out. The Gospel is offensive to sinners. You may love the sinner and hate the sin, but if you read the Bible, the sinner is what gets judged in the end. If you are attending a feel good church that won't preach about sin, then I question if you are actually attending a church. Narrow minded thinking? What Bible do you read? The path of the Christian is by definition, a narrow path.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Part of being a loving Christian is to teach the Law. That means we also tell people of their need to turn away from sin, which includes sex outside the bonds of marriage between one man and one women. We do that because the Bible is clear; those who refuse to repent of their sins will not inherit eternal life. You cannot separate Christianity from God's word. If people do that, they have invented a new religion and created themselves their own god.
That is only true for fundamentalist Christianity. Extremist Christianity.

It is also hypocritical because fundamentalists are committing many sins against people by condemning them of this particular sin. Making it out to be one of the worst things a person can do, while overlooking many others just because they are more "acceptable" to their culture at this moment in history. Jesus had a lot to say about that Pharisaical attitude. But Christians could care less about many things Jesus said.

Fundamentalist Christians actually think Jesus was a load of garbage. That is how they regard his most central teachings.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Sorry that you're offended by the whole counsel of God. That includes the Law, as augie pointed out. The Gospel is offensive to sinners. You may love the sinner and hate the sin, but if you read the Bible, the sinner is what gets judged in the end. If you are attending a feel good church that won't preach about sin, then I question if you are actually attending a church. Narrow minded thinking? What Bible do you read? The path of the Christian is by definition, a narrow path.
You sound like a Pharisee.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:05 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
And?

Sorry but I think Joel Osteen is a charlatan, and any church that accepts the alternative lifestyle is lying to you. Why do you think ungodly behavior is acceptable?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
And?

Sorry but I think Joel Osteen is a charlatan, and any church that accepts the alternative lifestyle is lying to you. Why do you think ungodly behavior is acceptable?
I used to believe like you did. But many churches think that parts of the Bible are not inspired, with good reason. They were influenced by the attitudes of the day. They were not written by God. The early followers of Jesus might have had nothing in common with what the religion of Christianity became. So you are making a lot of assumptions when you declare whether something is "godly" or not. It is only what your particular interpretation of the faith declares it to be. But you don't actually know how God feels about it. You tell yourself that the Bible books were written by God, and so you think you know what God thinks about certain issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity