Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:20 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,978,397 times

Advertisements

SAAN, first that perception of gay sex is both sick and untrue, but that's another subject. You are seriously suggesting that God wants us to continue overpopulating this planet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:23 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If a pastor comes out and says he doesnt agree with the LGBT lifestyle, he is attacked and labeled hate speech, bigoted, and more... yet the bible CLEARLY says the LGBT lifestyle is a sin, yet they still want to take part in a religion that 100% says what they are doing is wrong and must be repented of.

All Christians need to keep taking a stand and not allowing this sexually immoral lifestyle to be accepted in their churches. Churches should welcome all, but the sin must be repented of whether its gay sex outside of marriage, straight sex outside of marriage or adultery. They are all sexual immorality and the bible says it is a sin and if you practice that lifestyle and die unrepentant in your sins, you will not go to heaven. Thats in the OT and NT.
It's just one more in the loooooooooooooong list of things the bible got wrong.

Fortunately, tomorrow's generations will be too smart to believe in nonsense.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,930,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
What designates any particular expression of faith as extremist? To a fundamentalist, your brand of christianity might be classified as extremist in the opposite end of the spectrum.

You specifically mention the LBGT community as the focus of hypocrisy in the church because the fellowship discourages the lifestyle and preaches against the act. Wouldnt it be hypocrisy to say "yes, the bible tells us not to have relations out of marriage, and that the old testament decrees a man should cleeve to his wife and she should forsake her family for his, but this is popular so the heck with that. Go Girls! Sir, you have a beautiful husband." The definition is hypocrisy is to act other than you believe or state you believe.
By the way, no one is saying the Bible is "false" in its entirety. It has a wealth of good advice that is still applicable today. It's just a matter of taking what is good from a book, and not expecting it to be Infallible (just because there are statements within it making that claim).

Sorry, but the more liberal view of faith cannot be "extremist" as you call it. Any faith that is open to God communicating through other religions and scriptures cannot be called extremist.

You are still cherry-picking laws about homosexuality from the old testament. And you can't take the part about "man and wife" somehow being part of that law, because even PAUL said that marriage was a symbol of man's relationship to God. There is no reason for Paul to take such an extreme view of sexual sin in Romans 1 because that was ALWAYS a symbol of idolatry in the old testament. Marriage represents man and God. Adultery and homosexuality represent idolatry.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:36 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,172,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
SAAN, first that perception of gay sex is both sick and untrue, but that's another subject. You are seriously suggesting that God wants us to continue overpopulating this planet?
Over populate? Drive 20 mins outside of any metro area and there is land for days

Old 10-01-2014, 10:43 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,172,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I repeat, the bible is wrong on a LOT of things. Too bad the planks in your eyes prevent you from seeing the truth.

You dont care about the bible, which means you reject Gods word, which means you have pretty much made yourself God of your life which is idolatry.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,301,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
You dont care about the bible, which means you reject Gods word, which means you have pretty much made yourself God of your life which is idolatry.
You are doing a bang up job of judging people. It's a truly impressive performance. If you get paid for that..... tell whoever it was who gave you that job to give you a raise.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:40 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,030,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I don't agree with your OP, but this is a true and something I see often. Christians will condemn homosexuality like nothing else, but turn a blind eye to the "minor" sins (lying, cheating) because they may do it one day. If you're straight, you're safe in attacking homosexuality. Sin is sin.

The church would be better served welcoming everyone and showing them the love of God rather than sending everyone to hell.

I remember hearing old timers saying that they were taught if they went to a movie when the rapture happened they would be left behind. That's not meant to start a debate about the rapture, just using it as an example of being condemning and sin conscious.

I went to one church and the pastor's wife of the Spanish congregation left him, went to live with another guy and got pregnant. The church promptly threw him out. Yeah. Hit a guy when he's down. Way to show the world that Jesus is loving .
I think this is just wrong and lacks perspective. You do not see lying or cheating (with heterosexuals). You may witness it in some sense but it's not as obvious as homosexuality. Homosexuality is the one sin that is very clear because you can see it by the way one dress, acts, or even the people they are around. Can you say the same thing about lying and cheating?

Does that mean I think homosexuality should be treated differently than other sin? No, but I ask you and others how do you identify the other sin that you mentioned if it's not nearly as apparent as homosexuality? Homosexuality is not always treated more harshly than other sins, it is just one of the easiest ones to discover.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:44 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,030,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
By the way, no one is saying the Bible is "false" in its entirety. It has a wealth of good advice that is still applicable today. It's just a matter of taking what is good from a book, and not expecting it to be Infallible (just because there are statements within it making that claim).
How do you know what is "good"? Isn't that subjective and based on your own thoughts? Amongst people, there is no standard of what is considered good or bad, is that not true?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:56 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,135,303 times
Quote:
When their statement of faith says something like this:
"We believe the Bible is the infallible, final word of God on all matters."

I don't care how friendly the people are. I don't care what kind of activities they have. I don't care what the music is like (whether new or traditional). I don't care what they do for the poor (because they are also spreading their "message" to anyone they are supposedly "helping.") I don't care if they try to be open to different races.

They usually have a "love the sinner, hate the sin" attitude towards LGBT people.

I'm sorry. That church is full of hate and they don't even know it. It doesn't matter how friendly or hip the people seem. There is still a lot of narrow minded thinking in a church like that.

Same old same old.

Does anyone else feel this way about churches like this?
wow, I guess that really set you off. I look at it this way, I do not think the message is saying we hate anyone or trying to push hatred as their message. I do not think there is a perfect church or religion. It one like this isn't right for you, that is your choice. We all make choices in life, but I think you are reading into this more than is there.

Our particular church does not accept a organization we happen to have been very active in for many years. This did not drive us from the church, though we disagree with them on the issue.

We were driven from the religion I grew up in about 6 years ago; we were tendering back and forth due to changed in the philosophy of the church, but when the clergyman almost told us how to vote, we felt we could no longer worship.

BTW, I think in many religions the feeling and the preaching is "forgive the sinner, not the sin" or ever how you want to say it and I believe this is true.

I hope you find a church that you can be comfortable with and you can understand, no one nor any one church will always share all your views.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:00 PM

758 posts, read 855,227 times
Quote:
When their statement of faith says something like this:
"We believe the Bible is the infallible, final word of God on all matters."

I don't care how friendly the people are. I don't care what kind of activities they have. I don't care what the music is like (whether new or traditional). I don't care what they do for the poor (because they are also spreading their "message" to anyone they are supposedly "helping.") I don't care if they try to be open to different races.

They usually have a "love the sinner, hate the sin" attitude towards LGBT people.

I'm sorry. That church is full of hate and they don't even know it. It doesn't matter how friendly or hip the people seem. There is still a lot of narrow minded thinking in a church like that.

Same old same old.

Does anyone else feel this way about churches like this?
My entire focus is on Jesus Christ!

bring every thought captive to Christ.

You seem to focus on Man every time. Completely leaving God out of the equation

Haven't you learned one basic simple principle?? Man is a sinner

Jesus said: Without ME: YE CAN DO NOTHING (correctly).

You are entirely focused on man and all of his shortcomings.

No wonder nothing makes sense to you. Ozzy Rules ?? Just the mere mention of that person makes me sick to my stomach. You can glorify His lifestyle & music all you want. You will never understand who Jesus Christ is.

Jesus Christ is the ONE who will rule !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity