Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 05:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The way I understand it... Darwin was a biologist studying animals. Yet while he was writing his nearly 500 page theory of evolution etc. Mendel was actually applying biology.

I'm curious to know all the things that evolution made possible. Take your time, there's no rush.
And disproving Evolution while doing it. Real science.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:09 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Interestingly enough, during all their years of "why's," my 4 kids never asked how the earth started or life began. They did ask if the chicken came before the egg or the egg before the chicken. I simply answered that a baby chicken is required for an adult to exist so it must've been the egg first. That's as evolutionary as I get.

I do believe that adaptation of species and survival of the fittest have some merit though.
I am guessing if we give the kid a lot of "i don't knows" or "don't you think like that." they stop asking. I tell my kids never stop thinking, never stop asking, and never take my word for it. the rat bastards took me literally.

You and I have a basic idealogical differences. Its no big deal I guess. First time I ever heard someone say learning some basic science is meaningless. I really have to think about it. I mean evolution is great on many levels.

It is a great way to learn how to form a reasonable "belief" in something that has some clear gaps.
It teaches how to Crosscheck with other sciences.
It shows how to try and make better measurements thus make better machines is just great stuff to me.
It shows how to link data points and observations.
it shows how our ecosystems change over time.
it shows what "chemicals" are involved in life and its changes.
evolution will supply the clues to answer some basic terra forming mechanisms and time frames needed.

"truth seekers" make better equipiment that lead directly to better boy toys. I love toys.

evolution teaches "uniformitarianism" in answering "how did these friggen fish get up here?".

over all I just don't understand this "not wanting to learning something" so basic. I guess I just don't know what I don't know.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:39 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am guessing if we give the kid a lot of "i don't knows" or "don't you think like that." they stop asking. I tell my kids never stop thinking, never stop asking, and never take my word for it. the rat bastards took me literally.

You and I have a basic idealogical differences. Its no big deal I guess. First time I ever heard someone say learning some basic science is meaningless. I really have to think about it. I mean evolution is great on many levels.

It is a great way to learn how to form a reasonable "belief" in something that has some clear gaps.
It shows how to try and make better measurements thus make better machines is just great stuff to me.
evolution will supply the clues to answer some basic terra forming mechanisms and time frames needed.

"truth seekers" make better equipiment that lead directly to better boy toys. I love toys.

evolution teaches "uniformitarianism" in answering "how did these friggen fish get up here?".

over all I just don't understand this "not wanting to learning something" so basic. I guess I just don't know what I don't know.
I hear what you are saying but as you said "I guess I just don't know what I don't know." and when it comes to human origins, I'm comfortable not knowing.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:52 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

Thought you might like this quote I discovered:

“During the flames of controversy, opinions, mass disputes, conflict, and world news, sometimes the most precious, refreshing, peaceful words to hear amidst all the chaos are simply and humbly 'I don't know.”
― Criss Jami, Killosophy

Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Throwing wiki out would be wiser.
And keep Genesis with Adam and a talking rib and a talking snake????

Are you sure about that??

Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
It took me a decade or four before I really "got it" that some people simply have no intellectual curiousity.

And it usually stems from a dearth of one, or often both, of the qualities required.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:00 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
There isn't any significance, I just don't believe it's the truth. Plus I'm bored.

I didn't read through your links but I scanned them... I don't see why or how evolution would have had any impact on those things. Knowing how species pro-create and the functions of cells would have brought those about naturally. In fact, all those things listed in the last article could have been discovered without the scientist (or engineer, etc) knowing anything about evolution or how the world began.

There were plenty of things invented and discovered before the theory of evolution was introduced...
Microscope, blood typing, cells, vaccination, stethoscope, anesthetic, fire extinguisher (a must have), thermometer, flushing toilet (another must have), parachute (only needed with airplanes), guillotine (not sure we needed it, really), bicycles, cotton gin (some must have this one), batteries, and sheets of paper (a must must have)... among other things but you get the idea.

I would guess that since there was no evolutionary theory until after those things were invented that most of these inventors believed in the Bible's creation or nothing at all.

Given all that, I don't think it is the theory of evolution that caused all those things in the articles to be created/invented or discovered.
I don't expect you to read all those links, just to substantiate the value of evolution - quite apart fropm the value of knowing where we came from.

Nobody is asking you to Believe in evolution, but at least give it a fair chance. ALL the evidence supports it really. You can be bored if you like. I just hope you won't use that as an excuse for avoiding looking at the evidence that backs up evolution. It may be that the discoveries in those links could have been made without evolution theory just as spectacles and telescopes were made before Newton worked out the principles of light. However, the point is that evolution theory has practical applications and without it, we would be working in the dark.

Your points about how the world began and all the inventions and discoveries made before the theory of evolution was worked out are irrelevant to whether it the evidence makes it the best explnation for what we observe and and indeed proves that the mechanism for biolgical change is proven. To deny that is simply..denial.

You are right in that, up to the appearance of origin of Species, 'Creation' was the only explanation there was. When they say that Galilaeo, Newton and the Founding fathers were all 'Creationists', there is a measure of truth in that. There was no other explanation. Now we have one and one that os demonstrable in pracice and which is suppoerted by all the evidence. Creation has no place now in science.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
And Evolution on wishful thinking. Note; no one has provided any scientific proof of Evolution. Why not? There isn't any.
We have been here before I present evidence and indeed proof of evolution and you just reject it out of hand.

Quote:
And disproving Evolution while doing it. Real science.
How did Mendel 'disprove evolution'? Come on, let's see your 'Real Science'.

(claim) Update: "Evolution is disproven by Mendel's laws. Charles Darwin didn't have the tools in order to prove his theory of evolution. Mendel only needed pea plants to disprove Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. Even scientist like Dr. Howard from University of Cologne Germany, support this fact.'... show more
Best Answer: Simple - Mendels Laws do not disprove Evolution. If any fact or observation was found to run contrary to evolution then the whole theory of evolution would collapse - as Darwin himself stated. In the 150 years since the publication of Origin of Species no such contrary eveidence has even been demonstrated, by Mendel or anyone else.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4081016AAPSyT8

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-20-2015 at 03:11 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Interestingly enough, during all their years of "why's," my 4 kids never asked how the earth started or life began. They did ask if the chicken came before the egg or the egg before the chicken. I simply answered that a baby chicken is required for an adult to exist so it must've been the egg first. That's as evolutionary as I get.

I do believe that adaptation of species and survival of the fittest have some merit though.
Then you accept the merits of evolution theory. I simply do not understand why people cannot accept the weight of evidence but use all sorts of irrelevant and foolish arguments The one we often hear about micro is true but macro isn't is as absurd as saying that you accept that you can take a 'plane to Chicago but it is impossible that it could ever fly to Johannesburg.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
I hear what you are saying but as you said "I guess I just don't know what I don't know." and when it comes to human origins, I'm comfortable not knowing.
Ignorance or denial is, I suppose, the choice of the individual. But that does not entitle you to make pronouncements about the truth or otherwise of what you choose to remain ignorant about.

Quote:
Thought you might like this quote I discovered:

“During the flames of controversy, opinions, mass disputes, conflict, and world news, sometimes the most precious, refreshing, peaceful words to hear amidst all the chaos are simply and humbly 'I don't know.”
― Criss Jami, Killosophy

'I don't know' is one of the most basic claims in science. 'I don't know' is what we get in the origins of the universe, the origins of life and whether there is an alien civilization on other planets or whether a god exists.

And then we get those who come along and say 'If YOU don't know, then I can say 'I do know'. Then they pop God in the gaps in our knowledge. This is utterly false and illogical.

What is worse is when -in order to produce these 'Gaps for God' - what we DO know is dismissed using faulty reasoning, denial of evidence and just ignorance. This is the stock -in -trade of the Evolution -skeptic and the Creationists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity