Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I have to agree with jimmie on this unless you are going to admit that's not exactly what you meant.
Perhaps you had some sort of a revelation as to a god of some sort without the Bible, but Christ/Jesus is only known about from writings in the Bible.
Little children do not know anything about this guy named Jesus unless they, as jimmie said, hear it from others who have read the Bible.
Perhaps you ( or anyone else) can explain how the figure of Jesus Christ and his actions became known to you unless it came from that book.
So you are saying there is NO way for anyone to know of Jesus unless someone tells them?

And if there is no way others can know good or do good outside of knowing Jesus, why are there so many primitive cultures that are doing good and seem to know about the existence of some spiritual entity they recognize as "god."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
I have to agree with jimmie on this unless you are going to admit that's not exactly what you meant.
Perhaps you had some sort of a revelation as to a god of some sort without the Bible, but Christ/Jesus is only known about from writings in the Bible.
Little children do not know anything about this guy named Jesus unless they, as jimmie said, hear it from others who have read the Bible.
Perhaps you ( or anyone else) can explain how the figure of Jesus Christ and his actions became known to you unless it came from that book.
For me, the point you and jimmiej seem to be missing is that the Bible is a tool of the Spirit in reaching the hearts of people and is not to be regarded as anytrhing more than a tool. Exalting the Bible and making it an authority in its own right or responsible for any transformations is a gross distortion of what it is.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
say in the bible we have to seek Christ by the bible, in fact Paul said the Light of the glory of God shines in our heart to give us the knowledge of his glory, and like Jesus Christ.... we are his glory too(Blasphemy, crucify pcamps), also Paul said the word of God is already in our heart and that salvation becomes a reality to us by confessing that word.
I doesn't appear ironic that you're using words from the Bible in order to dismiss that you learned from the Bible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So you are saying there is NO way for anyone to know of Jesus unless someone tells them?

And if there is no way others can know good or do good outside of knowing Jesus, why are there so many primitive cultures that are doing good and seem to know about the existence of some spiritual entity they recognize as "god."
Tell me ( what I asked before) from what other source does one learn about Jesus Christ.
Not god or goodness or anything else...just the man called Jesus Christ.
The rest of your reply has nothing to do with that specific question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
For me, the point you and jimmiej seem to be missing is that the Bible is a tool of the Spirit in reaching the hearts of people and is not to be regarded as anytrhing more than a tool. Exalting the Bible and making it an authority in its own right or responsible for any transformations is a gross distortion of what it is.
Neither jimmie or I said that the Bible should be regarded as anything but a tool.
Again, a reply that did not address the question.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:12 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
There are books not included in the bible that talk about Jesus, so the bible is not absolutely necessary.

But, as for me, I think your question is dependent on thinking that believing on Jesus (or believing on Christ) means believing that the Jesus narrative is literally true, rather than "spiritually" true. As I see it, many people believe some of the things that the Jesus narrative may communicate symbolically, who don't believe (or may not even be aware of) the Jesus narrative, or they may believe some of the teachings attributed to Jesus by the bible, without ever knowing the name Jesus, because they are universal truths.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Neither jimmie or I said that the Bible should be regarded as anything but a tool.
Again, a reply that did not address the question.
I have never known a bible inerrantist who claimed the bible was "just a tool". To them it is the Word of God, the infallible revelation from God to humankind, and, as such, has the authority OF God. That, for all intents and purposes, makes the bible equivalent to God, and not "just a tool".

Old 07-03-2015, 09:20 AM

15 posts, read 24,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
One answer. My faith does not allow me to discriminate against my brothers and sisters.

It does not matter what others think of the matter. My faith is strong enough to stand to every challenge.

I have no concern for others who disagree. It is their right, as long as they do not discriminate and make laws which deny civil rights to my brothers and sisters in the community.
Excellent answer! Discrimination shouldn't be a part of any worldview, religion, or philosophy in my opinion.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
There are books not included in the bible that talk about Jesus, so the bible is not absolutely necessary.
I wasn't aware of that .
What would some/any of those books be?
For the purpose of this discussion, I certainly assume you wouldn't include books with information derived from the Bible.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I wasn't aware of that .
What would some/any of those books be?
For the purpose of this discussion, I certainly assume you wouldn't include books with information derived from the Bible.
Some of these:

10 Books Not Included in the New Testament - Listverse

Old 07-03-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Oh, yeah. I should have guessed you would come up with books considered for inclusion in the Bible but left out for one reason or another.
I'll concede on a technicality even though I would have a very hard time believing that anybody would ever have even learned of those writings if not already familiar with the Bible itself.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:45 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
I doesn't appear ironic that you're using words from the Bible in order to dismiss that you learned from the Bible?
What I find ironic is that you seem to think that anything but acknowledging supreme authority of the Bible is dismissing it. Shades of Finn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity