Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:22 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

JUST PREPARING FOR THE REAL THING

by Zalman Baruch Melamed

At First Glance

It sometimes appears that we see certain processes taking place, in the spiritual realm, that are harmful and offensive to Jewish belief. On deeper thought, however, we know that G-d"s actions are more elevated and more sublime than ours - as are His "thoughts" from ours. When we look more closely at these "harmful" processes, we see that in fact, the same events that appear to be damaging - are precisely those that prepare the way for the revelation of the G-d of Israel in the world in a more perfect and complete way.

Christianity, for instance. At first glance, it appears that Christianity brought tragedy and catastrophe upon Israel, and that its entire essence has been only bad. Maimonides, however, says that Christianity and Islam came to the world in order to prepare the way for the true Messiah, the King of Israel from the House of David.

- http://www.jcrelations.net/From+Maim...399.0.html?L=3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 09:18 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Herod wasn't a Jew...
As the story goes, the Sanhedrin conducted the trial, condemned Jesus, and had to get permission from Pilate to impose the death penalty they desired. At a minimum, the Sanhedrin and Pilate were both complicit. Only the gospel of Luke mentioned Jesus also being sent from Pilate to Herod and back again.

It has been argued ever since who was more to blame. Herod was said to have not found Jesus worthy of death, although he had him mocked and scourged. Pilate argued his innocence, but ultimately caved to the Sanhedrin's insistence that he be crucified. It is pretty clear that according to the gospel accounts, the Sanhedrin was the only one of the three authorities agitating for Jesus to be crucified.

Of course the gospels are the only account of the matter, and you would have to accept the gospels as a reliable source of information in the first place. Which I don't anymore. I doubt the historicity of the whole thing, personally. Of late I've even come to doubt that there was an historical, much less a Biblical, Jesus. I think he's either a composite character or an outright invention.

But that's a topic for another thread, and probably not in this forum.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:30 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As the story goes, the Sanhedrin conducted the trial, condemned Jesus, and had to get permission from Pilate to impose the death penalty they desired. At a minimum, the Sanhedrin and Pilate were both complicit. Only the gospel of Luke mentioned Jesus also being sent from Pilate to Herod and back again.

It has been argued ever since who was more to blame. Herod was said to have not found Jesus worthy of death, although he had him mocked and scourged. Pilate argued his innocence, but ultimately caved to the Sanhedrin's insistence that he be crucified. It is pretty clear that according to the gospel accounts, the Sanhedrin was the only one of the three authorities agitating for Jesus to be crucified.

Of course the gospels are the only account of the matter, and you would have to accept the gospels as a reliable source of information in the first place. Which I don't anymore. I doubt the historicity of the whole thing, personally. Of late I've even come to doubt that there was an historical, much less a Biblical, Jesus. I think he's either a composite character or an outright invention.

But that's a topic for another thread, and probably not in this forum.
The Sanhedrin weren't Jews either...

Old 08-17-2015, 05:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
The Sanhedrin weren't Jews either...
they weren't? how did they get on there?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
they weren't? how did they get on there?
Herod had some of his goons on the Sanhedrin.
I don't think we know how many were not Jewish, but
it's probably close to half. or even more.

anyway, I shouldn't be posting here anymore, and from the likes
of what I've read, those who believe in the equality of truths and
opinions seem to like that.
My thread was an effort to stay away from the constant bickering,
and fallacious opinions of others.
It is only out of posting ethical boundaries that I cannot say
what I truly think concerning some of the posters in this place.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:29 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Where did he say this?...
MT 24:14 And this Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

MK 16:15 And He said unto them, Go you into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:37 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
When did Israel reject Jesus?...And send him to his death?...
When they had him arrested and tried him the first night, breaking the law of 7 days to build a defense--they never broke law,( except on Jesus account) but their hatred was immense for jesus--they sent him to the romans to be killed. Every thing they were teaching about Jesus to the flock were 100% lies--they said he got his power from satan, they also said he was making himself equal with God, but he never did that.
They were in error in their thinking, they were expecting a mighty king to stand right then and wipe the romans out--they were wrong, then a mere carpenters son was telling them their errors and their hatred grew immensely.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:36 PM

350 posts, read 569,984 times
Mathew 12: verses 15 - 21 seem to prove you wrong on this assumption. Jesus may have been sent for the Jews, but the Gentiles also benefit from his teachings and sacrifice.

Jesus, aware of this, withdrew from there. And many followed him, and he healed them all and ordered them not to make him known. This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah:

“Behold, my servant whom I have chosen,
my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased.
I will put my Spirit upon him,
and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.
He will not quarrel or cry aloud,
nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets;
a bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not quench,
until he brings justice to victory;
and in his name the Gentiles will hope.”

Old 08-17-2015, 04:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Mt 26:28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Lk 24:46 He told them, “This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,Lk 24:47 and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

OP Since you're not very well educated, I'll illuminate a small point for you. Many or "the Many" is a Hebrew expression or slang, which is a reference to all. This can easily be seen because Jesus sometimes uses the expression "the Many or Many" and sometimes he says all, or everyone etc.

Paul also uses this term in his writings and in fact in Romans 5, he uses it interchangably, indicating The Many=All.

Ro 5:15 But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many!

But then in verse 18
Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.

Keep studying. Maybe some day by God's grace, you'll find the truth.
But the way you're going about it, its not very likely. You have to understand that part of the point of the Gospels is to prove and testify, that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God and therefore God almighty himself. God does not contradict himself. All the Bible is God's word, so trying to play Paul off against Jesus is just plain silly. Even in if Jesus isn't directly quoted in the Gospels, whether its Paul or Peter or John, its all God's word.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:44 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
It is only out of posting ethical boundaries that I cannot say
what I truly think concerning some of the posters in this place.
I can understand having such feelings about the posts of some on here . . . but why do you attach your animus to the posters??? Are we as people not separable from our opinions? Are you so enamored with your opinions and beliefs that you cannot stand any who differ from you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity