Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:38 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,108,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The Israelite teachers were teaching Jesus received his power from satan, they turned their hearts to hatred to him and lied and said he was making himself equal with God and sent him to his death. Such a hatred that they even broke the law and tried him the first night he was arrested, a man had 7 days to build a defense under jewish law back then, they were sticklers for the law, but their hatred for Jesus was greater.
They as well lacked love--they looked down on the flock calling them Amharets--( means giving table scraps to the dogs( these were spiritual table scraps though)
When did Israel reject Jesus?...And send him to his death?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:41 PM

20,118 posts, read 13,574,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
When did Israel reject Jesus?...
I'm not making that claim, I am relating what the fundamentalist Christian theology I grew up in teaches.

It goes something like this: Jesus wept over Jerusalem and said, "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those I send to you ... how often I would have gathered you to myself, as a hen gathers her chicks, but you would not ... behold, your place is left unto you desolate". I'm going by memory, but I think it's pretty close.

From the Christian viewpoint, the religious authorities of the day, representing Judaism, conspired to crucify Christ, therefore, god offered his grace to the Gentiles, for the present age.

Again ... not my thinking, I'm just the messenger here.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm not making that claim, I am relating what the fundamentalist Christian theology I grew up in teaches.

It goes something like this: Jesus wept over Jerusalem and said, "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those I send to you ... how often I would have gathered you to myself, as a hen gathers her chicks, but you would not ... behold, your place is left unto you desolate". I'm going by memory, but I think it's pretty close.

From the Christian viewpoint, the religious authorities of the day, representing Judaism, conspired to crucify Christ, therefore, god offered his grace to the Gentiles, for the present age.

Again ... not my thinking, I'm just the messenger here.
The ruling class weren't Jews...And that is talking about Jerusalem not Israel...

Old 08-16-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
By the known characteristics of the Spirit. Murder is not consistent with that.
Isn't it? The Holy Spirit is god. God has murdered people throughout history, according to the Bible. Of course God was exercising his prerogative to act as judge, jury, and executioner ... and maybe that's not a privilege his followers should take upon themselves ... but they've been known to do it, in the name of god.

Even when I was a believer, I was cautioned repeatedly to stick to the Bible and avoid personal experience as any sort of guide, as it can be deceptive.

I have known very judgmental, controlling people who claim to be filled with the spirit of god, and sweet, loving people. I think it's a highly questionable claim, because even the judgmental, unkind types see themselves as sweet and loving. And ironically the sweet loving people often doubt their own goodness.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The ruling class weren't Jews...And that is talking about Jerusalem not Israel...
If you say so. I have no skin in this game, so argue it with a fundamentalist Christian.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,958,132 times
Quote:
Isn't it? The Holy Spirit is god. God has murdered people throughout history, according to the Bible. Of course God was exercising his prerogative to act as judge, jury, and executioner ... and maybe that's not a privilege his followers should take upon themselves ... but they've been known to do it, in the name of god.

Even when I was a believer, I was cautioned repeatedly to stick to the Bible and avoid personal experience as any sort of guide, as it can be deceptive.

I have known very judgmental, controlling people who claim to be filled with the spirit of god, and sweet, loving people. I think it's a highly questionable claim, because even the judgmental, unkind types see themselves as sweet and loving. And ironically the sweet loving people often doubt their own goodness.
And we have mentioned in passing that "God is love" was revealed by Jesus after the history of the development of the concepts of God recorded in the Old Testament reached that point. Prior perceptions about the nature of God are not under consideration in Christ.

Let's not confuse Jesus with Joshua, ok?

Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
as usual, I stand by everything I said in my post in this thread,
and I'm just plain tired of the repetition involved in having to constantly
type out and "disprove" against those who counterdict what I say.
We're talking about some very basic Christian truths that are not
up for argument. I've just had it "up to here" with this place.
If you don't want people to "counterdict" (or even contradict) what you say, then you should not enter into discussions with them. Because anytime you discuss something ... horrors! ... the other person might not agree with you.

I know it's annoying for you to have to substantiate claims you make, or rationally justify your position, or to acknowledge that people of good conscience disagree with your interpretation of scripture or dogma, or maybe don't even share your beliefs ... and might have the temerity to discuss those differing interpretations or beliefs.

It would be ever so much simpler if such people would all disappear and you could enjoy an echo chamber of your own ideas. Alas and alack ... the world is a much bigger place than the space in between your ears.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:58 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,958,132 times
Quote:
If you don't want people to "counterdict" (or even contradict) what you say, then you should not enter into discussions with them. Because anytime you discuss something ... horrors! ... the other person might not agree with you.

I know it's annoying for you to have to substantiate claims you make, or rationally justify your position, or to acknowledge that people of good conscience disagree with your interpretation of scripture or dogma, or maybe don't even share your beliefs ... and might have the temerity to discuss those differing interpretations or beliefs.

It would be ever so much simpler if such people would all disappear and you could enjoy an echo chamber of your own ideas. Alas and alack ... the world is a much bigger place than the space in between your ears.
Don't sweat it, Mordant, it's just another fundamentalist mind set that cann't demonstrate the validity of the doctrines held so dear and so they blame everyone else instead of their doctrines, shout "true doctrine has left the building" and run away.

By me, the door should not hit them....

The fundamentalist mindset will be with us always, if not one, a new one.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:09 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,979,783 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7
I've just had it "up to here" with this place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
'bye

Don't let the door..........never mind.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
If you say so. I have no skin in this game, so argue it with a fundamentalist Christian.
Herod wasn't a Jew...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity