Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,751,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
unbelievable.

Yah...a group of people are so oppressed they've been harassing and trying to destroy the business of bakeries, flower shops and chicken restaurants the last 10 years.

And they claim to be the oppressed. Only in America.
And let's not forget, they are supposedly the good moral side of the argument even though they do things like attack preachers at gay pride parades and threaten to murder the children of these business owners. Such tolerance and compassion in their camp!

Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,736,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
How do you read scripture and not even know who is being addressed and why? Treating your enemies with love is totally different than church discipline. Paul teaching on church discipline and who should be let out of the group is not even in the same category as what Jesus is teaching here.

And yes, it is all the word of God and useful. But if you think there is a dichotomy within scripture, sorry but Paul was a man and not the son of God incarnate. Will do what Jesus says to do over Paul if it boils down to a scripture vs. scripture debate. Not that I believe they are in conflict, but Paul was teaching to a narrow group in a specific place. Jesus' exhortation is much, much broader here.
you are just pretending sin isn't sin.
sin in the church and out of it is the same thing.. sin is sin..
now yes there are some gifts are called to deal with it in and out of the church.. and
not everyone has to deal with sin and thus our enemies/ demons.. a child is not called to it !
and child and a baby christians are not to confront a pack of demon filled people.... so in their walk they may never be asked or called to deal with sinners.. especially any sort of militant sinners. ..
we are only to do what we see the Father doing. Just as Jesus tells us to do as he did . he says he only did what he saw his Father doing..
Jesus didn't heal everyone or in every town..
because there was sin in the towns and unbeleif and murder.. and so he walked away.. in some of those town they were worse than evil.. they were militants. They tried to kill him.

and this..
Luk 10:9

Heal the sick, and tell them, ‘The Kingdom of God is near you now.’

Luk 10:10

But if a town refuses to welcome you, go out into its streets and say,

Luk 10:11

‘We wipe even the dust of your town from our feet to show that we have abandoned you to your fate. And know this—the Kingdom of God is near!

your making up your own rules..
Jesus has grace for all who can deal and do not have to deal with sin ! period..
it is all about the level of our faith and what the Lord is asking of them to do for him or not in that moment. !
there is no hard fast rules for sin and sinners..
obedience to his spirit and to the situation is all by his grace and the individuals level of faith .
because ignorace to his spirit can get you dead !

Act 19:15

But the evil spirit answered them, "Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?"

it is nieve to think that any one who is a militant about anything and any subject .. is without its own demons hoard.. as he goes on to curse these towns..

Luk 10:12

I assure you, even wicked Sodom will be better off than such a town on judgment day.

Luk 10:13

“What sorrow awaits you, Korazin and Bethsaida! For if the miracles I did in you had been done in wicked Tyre and Sidon, their people would have repented of their sins long ago, clothing themselves in burlap and throwing ashes on their heads to show their remorse.

Luk 10:14

Yes, Tyre and Sidon will be better off on judgment day than you.

Luk 10:15

And you people of Capernaum, will you be honored in heaven? No, you will go down to the place of the dead.[fn]”

Evil is still the enemy of God and man.. and not everyone is a soldier.
stop making up all these
new kinds of "christians laws.." because they are not there.

so if homosexuality is darn righteous.. why didn't they wipe the dust and leave the baker with a curse..
and would have left and would rather be wronged than force them to serve me.. I dont' want anyone spitting in my cake .. thank you anyway..
NO because maybe they wanted a lawsuit to rape our culture.
that gives them more whine factor and way more pitty parties.
and that is as good as blackmail..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 06-13-2019 at 10:04 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,401,549 times
Quote:
unbelievable.

Yah...a group of people are so oppressed they've been harassing and trying to destroy the business of bakeries, flower shops and chicken restaurants the last 10 years.

Do you know much about the history of Christianism?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:57 PM

63,914 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Correction, it is merely your baseless opinion that Satan is a fictional character. Your replies sound like throwing spaghetti against a wall, hoping any of them will stick and make you somehow look superior. You are only going to end up frustrated engaging with me because I'll expose those smoke and mirrors right to the bone.
I am pleased to find an expert on Satan because I have never been able to understand the rationale for his existence and what he gets from it given what his ultimate fate is. I mean, what's the point given his ultimate fate?

Old 06-13-2019, 10:13 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,927,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40
Are we really going back to this tired argument again? That either homosexuality did not exist back then or the Bible authors couldn't have possibly been talking about it simply because a LABEL didn't exist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They argue homosexuality didn't exist until they invented the word, but why would anyone invent a word to describe something which didn't exist
Are you just playing 'simple' or are you for real, Finn? Every kind of human personality, trait, gender preference, etc. etc. has likely existed within the human species since human beings first inhabited the earth. No one is arguing against that as you well know. As for the 'homosexual label' as per Jeff's post ...apparently, the earliest recorded use of the terms 'homosexuality' and 'heterosexuality' were contained in a letter written by Austrian-born writer Karl Maria Kertbeny on May 6, 1868, to fellow 'gay' activist Karl Heinrich Ulrichs ...thanks to Google for that info.

Paul (some 1800 years earlier) may or may not have encountered 'gay' people in his travels. And, who knows? Paul may even have been gay himself as has been suggested by some theologians. There is no way that we can know this ...but there are hints. Paul would certainly not have had access to items that did not exist at that time (i.e. TV, newspapers, magazines, etc.) as we do today that tell us so much about people, what is going on elsewhere in our communities, the world, etc. Therefore, his experience, either personal or gleaned, pertaining to human characteristics would have been extremely limited. He would have also been steeped in the traditions and the norms prevalent to his own culture. If Paul ran into 'gay' people at all I don't doubt that he would have referred to them as 'unnatural' or 'against nature' if he feels that way about long hair on males, females praying or prophesying without head covering or daring to usurp the authority of a man by speaking in church. THIS is the Paul that we're dealing with here!

Apparently, Paul never married and he never gives any hint that he was ever intimate with a female. Which is fine. However, is such a man the one we would go to for marital advice? Would we go to such a man to advise us about sexual issues? How about asking what he thinks about us having made plans to fly from Jerusalem to New York? Surely, he would disapprove since flying, even with the aid of a machine, would be viewed as being 'against nature'. As with the 'natural' symbol of authority on a woman's head, reminiscent of angels (1 Corinthians 11-10), or a head covering of her own hair (1 Corinthians 11-15) it would be 'unnatural' to fly in the sky like a bird.

Just think of ALL the examples we could give Paul to receive a 'that's against nature' response!

And yet, Paul is used as a mentor by many conservative Christians. The biggest error ever made by 'Christianity' (I believe) was having made Paul the mouthpiece for God or Jesus. Actually, it goes beyond that. Paul is seen by many of these folks as being the equivalent of God! SO, the letters that Paul wrote to the various churches dealing with their specific issues (that are NOT our present-day issues in the year 2019!) have been enshrined within a 'bubble of divinity' by many conservative Christians, SO, they say, don't you DARE argue against ...the word of God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They worship "logic" as god, but never actually utilize it.
Was that a mistype or did you really mean that piece of nonsense?

That said, it would appear that Paul either witnessed or was told by others in letter form about the activities that were being performed in pagan establishments in Rome. Paul was especially irate with those who once claimed to know the TRUE God but had now forsaken God and begun to worship pagan idols. This was totally against the 1st commandment of the Big Ten. Paul tells us (with an element of ambiguity or, perhaps, coyness) that these pagan practices involved sexual rituals with temple prostitutes. Both males and females it would seem. There is nothing to suggest 'homosexuality' here as WE today define the term. Sure, WE today see male with male sex practices as being 'homosexual' but the sexual rituals that were performed in pagan temples had nothing to do with one's gender preference. These were reports of WORSHIP practices attributed to the idols and, in all likelihood, these 'sodomites' (shrine temple prostitutes) and their 'clients' were married heterosexual men!

I'm getting weary.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
unbelievable.

Oh hi, BF.

I'm sorry you're still so bent out of shape about gay people getting the same rights as white Protestant heterosexual males.

Have you tried praying to your god-thing for help in accepting reality?

Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,736,647 times
the cake story kind of reminded me of a video I just saw.. where two drunk girls I know got thrown out of a gay bar for swimming topless in the pool.. and to think they didnt' want real boobs.. in their bar! and some folks dont' want to see men kissing men or women kissing women.. as those also are acts of sex.... of sexuality..... it just is>> or should those ladies have sued those men for their hate crimes?
obviously, those men dressed up like women.. are biggots and hate real women.. right?
they like only fake women!
maybe they should still sue someone..
the ladies of course were not christians .. so the gay bar should have gotten sued don't you all think that if it is cakes or drinks, they were still refused service.. .. it was same thing!
or do they have the right to not see real boobs?
and do bakers have the right to not get confronted with men kissing men?
that is all sexual things..
militant sexuality is the real issue.. militant sexuality is like war zone and you can't escape the bombs..
I don't even watch tv anymore because of the sexuality bombs in nearly every commercial.. very sad what is happening in this society.
I get booted from this site for way way way less..
and we are said to be here to talk about such issues.. but we can't actually talk about it.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A fictional parasite like that of Satan and eternal damnation does not usually kill the host it inhabits, as it is critically dependent on it for survival. Instead, it feeds off it and changes its behavior in ways that benefit its own existence.
Quote:
Correction, it is merely your baseless opinion that Satan is a fictional character. Your replies sound like throwing spaghetti against a wall, hoping any of them will stick and make you somehow look superior. You are only going to end up frustrated engaging with me because I'll expose those smoke and mirrors right to the bone.
Be careful not to cut yourself on that mirror of fire and brimstone.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
And let's not forget, they are supposedly the good moral side of the argument even though they do things like attack preachers at gay pride parades and threaten to murder the children of these business owners. Such tolerance and compassion in their camp!
So, you believe that harassment is acceptable, except for when it come to ordering a cake from religious fanatics?

Old 06-14-2019, 12:20 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,728,352 times
Quote:
And I never got an answer to my question. Would Jesus have built a bed or aiding in the prostitute gaining more business? It is a gross perversion of the gospel to suggest that this passage means we should assist in helping people sin because they asked for help. If a bank robber asked for your car, would you give him not only one getaway car, but two? See how silly your argument really is.
So now you equate same sex marriage with bank robbery? My what an inventive bigot you are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.