Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 07:27 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
The term is commonly understood to refer to those who engage in unnatural sex.

ALL the people of the five cities of the kingdom of Sodom were destroyed for their sin. There were not so many as ten people in those five cities who DID NOT participate in unrighteousness. Read the Bible.

That Houston has not been destroyed is testimony to the fact there are at least ten righteous souls living there.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
No, the term NOW is used to refer to people who have anal sex. I'm not sure what the word meant (other than a resident of Sodom) in 1611 when the KJV was created. The word "homosexual" didn't appear in any Bible until a 1946 translation.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:45 PM

3,061 posts, read 913,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You posted a whole wall of text citing a bunch of verses with the word "Sodomite." That word can be easily interpreted in all of those verses to mean a resident of the city of Sodom, just like "Houstonite" refers to a resident of Houston.

Your posts would be a lot easier to read if you'd use the Quote function correctly.
From post #1043.

THE ANOINTED……… The men of Canaan are Canaanites, the men of Israel are Israelites, the men of Moab are Moabites, the men of Dan are Danites, the men of Sodom are Sodomites, etc, etc, etc. And BTW, I have family members whom I dearly love, who are gay, and I for one would not attempt to condemn them. But here, we are debating that which the bible says, not what I think.

RomulusXXV ………You mean ‘the people of Sodom, right? A ‘sodomite’ was a male temple prostitute and his/their specific nationality is not given in the Bible as far as I know.

THE ANOINTED …….. A Sodomite was also a man from the city of Sodom, whether or not he was Homosexual.

And now, in your post #1048, you confirm what I had said, by saying; ""Sodomite." That word can be easily interpreted in all of those verses to mean a resident of the city of Sodom, just like "Houstonite" refers to a resident of Houston." Thank you for your support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 07:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
A Sodomite was also a man from the city of Sodom, whether or not he was Homosexual.
But the issue is that a Sodomite does not mean a homosexual.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 2,823 times
church bible study? What affiliation was this church? seems like a rather bizarre study to have in the first place....As soon as I heard about 'clearing your mind' I figured this was one of THOSE churches....

Old 10-27-2019, 08:19 PM

3,061 posts, read 913,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But the issue is that a Sodomite does not mean a homosexual.
A Sodomite does not mean a Homosexual, but a homosexual who commits Sodomy is a Sodomite.

Universal Dictionary.... "Homosexual"...… Of or pertain to sexual relations between persons of the same sex.

Universal Dictionary.... "Sodomite".... 'A person who indulges in Sodomy.'

A man who prefers anal sex with a woman, who enjoys being sodomized, would be classified as a Sodomite, but not as a Homosexual.

Two married men, whose first preference are women, but who occasionally meet to have anal sex with each other, according to the Universal Dictionary, are Sodomites committing acts of Homosexuality.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:23 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,903,071 times
WE seem to be somewhat at odds with the term 'sodomite'. While it's true that 'we' would naturally refer to the people of Sodom as 'Sodomites' due to our habit of adding 'ite' to the area one is from, this is NOT what the Bible writers did in this case, even though, as I say, it would be quite natural to think that this is what they did. The people of Sodom are never referred to as 'Sodomites' by the Bible authors. And, it IS the Bible we are discussing here with regard to this particular topic and not the usage of terms that we prefer to use. A 'sodomite' was not an inhabitant of Sodom but rather a male temple prostitute who came from 'wherever'. His nationality was of no importance but his occupation, apparently, was. Below is Strong's Concordance definition of the term 'sodomite':

qadesh: a temple prostitute
Original Word: ??????
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: qadesh
Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-dashe')
Definition: a temple prostitute

Also: The NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from the same as qodesh
Definition
a temple prostitute
NASB Translation
cult prostitute (2), cult prostitutes (2), male cult prostitutes (2), sodomites (1), temple prostitute (3), temple prostitutes (1).

And more stuff from Google: Englishman's Concordance
Deuteronomy 23:17
HEB: ??????? ???????? ??????? ????????? ???????????
NAS: of Israel shall be a cult prostitute, nor
KJV: of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons
INT: nor shall be a cult of the sons of Israel

1 Kings 14:24
HEB: ?????? ??????? ?????? ????????
NAS: There were also male cult prostitutes in the land.
KJV: And there were also sodomites in the land:
INT: were also male become the land

1 Kings 15:12
HEB: ??????????? ????????????? ???? ????????
NAS: He also put away the male cult prostitutes from the land
KJV: And he took away the sodomites out of the land,
INT: put the male from the land

1 Kings 22:46
HEB: ????????? ?????????? ??????? ?????????
NAS: The remnant of the sodomites who
KJV: And the remnant of the sodomites, which remained
INT: the remnant of the sodomites who remained

2 Kings 23:7
HEB: ???? ???????? ????????????? ??????? ????????
NAS: the houses of the [male] cult prostitutes which
KJV: the houses of the sodomites, that [were] by the house
INT: broke the houses of the cult which the house

Job 36:14
HEB: ????????? ???????????? ???????????????
NAS: And their life [perishes] among the cult prostitutes.
KJV: and their life [is] among the unclean.
INT: They and their life the cult

6 Occurrences

Strong's Hebrew 6945
6 Occurrences

baq·q?·?ê·šîm — 1 Occ.
haq·q?·?êš — 1 Occ.
haq·q?·?ê·šîm — 2 Occ.
q?·?êš — 2 Occ.

Please note that nowhere has the term 'sodomite' any connection to the city of Sodom. The problem with our usage of the term 'sodomite' is that it has become equated to 'homosexual' and is used very effectively by many anti-gay pastors with which to demean gay people. So, the very mention of 'Sodomite' in connection with the city of Sodom - which ALSO has been erroneously equated with 'homosexuality' - is most damaging to gay people. Ignorance is no excuse. We need to stop encouraging this kind of thing by educating ourselves on the subject matter!

Old 10-27-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
A Sodomite does not mean a Homosexual, but a homosexual who commits Sodomy is a Sodomite.

Universal Dictionary.... "Homosexual"...… Of or pertain to sexual relations between persons of the same sex.

A man who prefers anal sex with a woman, who enjoys being sodomized, would be classified as a Sodomite, but not as a Homosexual.

Two married men, whose first preference are women, but who occasionally meet to have anal sex with each other, according to the Universal Dictionary, are Sodomites committing acts of Homosexuality.
Absolute piffle! It's this kind of thing that needs to be ignored and the presenter of such rubbish taken to task for having the ignorant gall for having done so. You, O Anointed One, have claimed several times that it's THE BIBLE that you wish to discuss but yet you use a dictionary, of all things, to offer a man-made definition of a man-made term used erroneously for 'homosexual'.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairchair77 View Post
church bible study?
Well, it was a Bible study conducted by maybe a half-dozen members of a church rather than a 'church project' as such. Those participating were simply human beings with reasonable intelligence and a desire to learn.

Quote:
What affiliation was this church?
Well, the half-dozen participants (who met at the home of one of the participants probably twice a month) were from the Townsville City Seventh-Day Adventist Church. However, they could have been the members of ANY Christian Church since the meetings had nothing to do with church affiliation but rather with a study of scripture. Understand?

Quote:
seems like a rather bizarre study to have in the first place....
Those such as yourself, it would seem, would find actual 'study' of scripture to be a rather taboo thing to do when (probably) your message of scripture is typically spoon-fed to you from the pulpit. Fortunately, we were not like you and so the studying of actual scripture for ourselves seemed right for us. A good thing too ...we found out that people such as yourself were being fed lies from the pulpit ...lies that had been taught and received and soaked up from sponge-minds such as yours for decades. Thank God for personal Bible study that just might sort out the fake from the genuine. You should try it. It worked for me. That's why I initiated this thread to expose the lies that have been handed down to the mindless puppets who sit smugly in church pews every week. Understand?

Quote:
As soon as I heard about 'clearing your mind' I figured this was one of THOSE churches....
Yes, I'm sure you did think that, yet (<sigh>) another 'fundie' it would seem. You were wrong. Understand?

Old 10-27-2019, 09:32 PM

Incidentally, I have no idea why all of those question marks follow the Hebrew definition of the term 'sodomite' in my Post #1056. Here is the link that I got the item from:

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/6945.htm

Old 10-27-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
According to todays terminology, a Sodomite is one who commits Sodomy, the men of Sodom were Sodomites as explained in my earlier post, which is as follows.

Universal Dictionary.... "Homosexual"...… Of or pertaining to sexual relations between persons of the same sex.

You DO realize that NONE of what you state above has ANY connection to the Bible, do you not? It WAS the Bible that you wanted to discuss, was it not?

Quote:
According to the scriptures, the men of Sodom, in todays terminology, were Sodomites who committed acts of Homosexuality.

Moreover, I have a horrible feeling that the rubbish above will get a from Rbbi1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity