Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 11:27 AM

18,516 posts, read 9,198,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The voice of the Spirit tearing down the temple of fundamentalism brick by brick.
Not to pick on pcamps, but this is what I mean by "The Spirit" as one of those Christian buzzwords. Some liberal Christians seem to refer to The Spirit as a kind of authority, in a similar manner as how the conservative Christians refer to "God's Word".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:06 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Not to pick on pcamps, but this is what I mean by "The Spirit" as one of those Christian buzzwords. Some liberal Christians seem to refer to The Spirit as a kind of authority, in a similar manner as how the conservative Christians refer to "God's Word".
Freak, I am fair game to be picked on ... No problem. What I mean by the spirit can mean a few things, such as entering into the feeling or mood of something, you are then in the spirit of it. When I read the scriptures for instance, I try to read it by the spirit it is written in and not the literal letter of it. I am sure you have heard as well the term "that's the right spirit". So nothing happening as far as I am concerned with my use of it. So in reference to "voice of the spirit" warden is speaking in something that possesses the feeling of all that is right to me, it envelopes all that is of my own convictions.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM

63,951 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
No, all bible fundamentalists without fail have their focus on the bible over Christ. It is more important to you to think you have all the right beliefs about it in order, over pursuing the greatest thing it teaches which is Christ is in you. You also believe the kingdom is among us rather than in us, so where do you seek it among us, in the bible You believe all things are discovered through the bible only and nothing can be discovered in Christ. Your litmus test is not whether it resonates with Christ in you but whether it resonates from your biases and prejudices you have construed from bible. Jesus Christ would say to you today that you search the bible because you think eternal life is in believing it is inerrant and infallible, but I would have you believe on me the one it testifies of and be open and learn of me, for I am in the very place you do not believe I am in...........in you.
Bravo! Amen!! Well said, pcamps!

Old 01-12-2016, 03:20 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,384,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Do you or do you not hold Scripture to be the infallible and inerrant Word of God? Not a long diatribe, a simply "Yes, I do," or "No, I do not" will suffice. Further, it will be very lucid, something that is not normal in most your posts.

So you won't claim I dodge the question, I hold Scripture to be "inspired" in the same sense as a good sermon or a terrific hymn. It is the witness of people about what they believed about God. So, no, it is neither infallible nor inerrant as fundamentalists view it.

Your turn.
Yay! Someone who mostly agrees with me on how scripture scripture should be understood! I like to think scripture is exactly what God wanted us to have and that our understanding of it was meant to evolve...which it has even for fundamantalists to some degree whether they want to admit it or not. I take scripture as literally as I think it was meant to be taken given the context.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,733,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Yay! Someone who mostly agrees with me on how scripture scripture should be understood! I like to think scripture is exactly what God wanted us to have and that our understanding of it was meant to evolve...which it has even for fundamantalists to some degree whether they want to admit it or not. I take scripture as literally as I think it was meant to be taken given the context.
I wasn't that easy for my view to evolve. I was a Fundamentalist, capital F. When I began to get a biblical education outside of fundie Sunday School, I saw many of the things I valued just didn't hold up to biblical scholarship. Not only was it personally difficult, it as socially as well. I had a fundie mentor prior to college who told me he saw my heart growing cold. Coming from a man I admired, it cut to the quick.

But once one has their interest peaked it can't be stopped. My new "knowledge" was that I had no knowledge at all. The transformation wasn't complete until a personal tragedy took place, but once it did it was freedom in Christ because I knew if God could save me, He could save anyone.

Now the only sinfulness which for me remains outside the realm of relatively easy transformation, is the sin of fundamentalism. I think it would be easier to get a Muslim about to behead me to see the power of God's love than it is to get Christian fundamentalist to understand how far they are from what God wants from us, and how He expects us to treat others.

Some believe I denigrate Scripture. I see it for what it is---a personal, sometimes flawed, testimony to God's love for that flawed humanity.

Caution: buzz term to follow----God bless.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
...snip...

Caution: buzz term to follow----God bless.
That one has never bothered me. I know it generally comes from a sincere place. Nothing wrong with being wished well.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:51 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,270,539 times
Quote:
Bible believer.....doesn't impress me.
That one really bugs me. This means the person claims to take the Bible literally, yet they take the anti-gay passages of Leviticus literally while ignoring the rest of them. It's a "dog whistle" to let you know the like their Christianity to be politically conservative, controlling, and anti-gay.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:34 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That one really bugs me. This means the person claims to take the Bible literally, yet they take the anti-gay passages of Leviticus literally while ignoring the rest of them. It's a "dog whistle" to let you know the like their Christianity to be politically conservative, controlling, and anti-gay.
It also means you cannot teach me anything because I already believe everything correctly because I believe all the bible. Not once is such a buzz word used in the scriptures, again proof that the fundamentalist claim of only believing what is in the bible is not true, they believe was is not in there too, but they are in far to deep to accept their error, the cost is to high for them to acknowledge this. Take away the bible, heaven and hell and what fundamentalists are left with is hay and stubble that will easily go up in flames

Old 01-13-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It also means you cannot teach me anything because I already believe everything correctly because I believe all the bible. Not once is such a buzz word used in the scriptures, again proof that the fundamentalist claim of only believing what is in the bible is not true, they believe was is not in there too, but they are in far to deep to accept their error, the cost is to high for them to acknowledge this. Take away the bible, heaven and hell and what fundamentalists are left with is hay and stubble that will easily go up in flames
As Theologian/philosopher Soren Kierkegaard once said, "What Christianity needs to do is burn all the Bibles."

Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm interested in seeing how he'll duck, dodge or deflect this time.
Finn dodged by not returning to the thread. I think every time I see him post, I'll ask again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity