Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2014 View Post
Yes, you may.

I struggle with sin. I have tried to obtain salvation by obeying the Ten Commandments. But I couldn't. The Ten Commandments seem so simple.

I don't murder people. I don't have sex with other people's wives. I love my parents. I don't bow down to anything. So it seems so simple.

But according to the new Testament, it's so much more then just that. Being angry with a brother and/or holding grudges against people is murder. Lusting (which is a sin that I struggle with so strongly) is adultery; but it is also a form of idolatry. James said that friendship with this world is also adultery. It makes me an enemy of God. Being greedy is also idolatry. There is just so much that I am guilty of.

I have accepted Christ as my Lord 3 years ago. But I continued to sin. I just never understood what it means to trust in him.

But maybe if I really gave him my sin problems, he may take my sin from me.

According to the gospels, just because I have called him Lord, doesn't mean that I will enter his kingdom. Jesus said that not everybody who calls him Lord will enter his kingdom. This scares me a lot. Sin will still lead to death.

In Romans, Paul wrote to the believers and he tells them that if they continue to sin, they will face God's wrath. This is scary. And I don't know how to stop sinning. Stop sinning involves not just our behavior, but our thoughts as well.

So when I say that I am going to put my trust in Christ, I mean trusting him to help me to turn from my sin, which leads to hell.

My faith is still very week to be perfectly honest.
I've been down that road...I don't think you'll be able to overcome those sins until you truly repent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:35 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Thank you Jesse. I appreciate your sincerity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2014 View Post
Yes, you may.

I struggle with sin. I have tried to obtain salvation by obeying the Ten Commandments. But I couldn't. The Ten Commandments seem so simple.

I don't murder people. I don't have sex with other people's wives. I love my parents. I don't bow down to anything. So it seems so simple.

But according to the new Testament, it's so much more then just that. Being angry with a brother and/or holding grudges against people is murder. Lusting (which is a sin that I struggle with so strongly) is adultery; but it is also a form of idolatry. James said that friendship with this world is also adultery. It makes me an enemy of God. Being greedy is also idolatry. There is just so much that I am guilty of.

I have accepted Christ as my Lord 3 years ago. But I continued to sin. I just never understood what it means to trust in him.

But maybe if I really gave him my sin problems, he may take my sin from me.

According to the gospels, just because I have called him Lord, doesn't mean that I will enter his kingdom. Jesus said that not everybody who calls him Lord will enter his kingdom. This scares me a lot. Sin will still lead to death.

In Romans, Paul wrote to the believers and he tells them that if they continue to sin, they will face God's wrath. This is scary. And I don't know how to stop sinning. Stop sinning involves not just our behavior, but our thoughts as well.

So when I say that I am going to put my trust in Christ, I mean trusting him to help me to turn from my sin, which leads to hell.

My faith is still very week to be perfectly honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As long as you concentrate on your sin, it will be a struggle. Jesus asks us to be PRO-active. to LOVE and learning that love which He has given us will do what is necessary for community with Him and our fellow men.
I agree with Nate.

And it is pretty well known that we will behave in accord with how we see ourselves. So if you see yourself as someone with a "sin problem" in danger of hell, and that is what your focus is on, perhaps you may want to change your focus. "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.": God sees the end from the beginning, according to your bible, so God sees you as a person transformed by love, right now. Renew your mind by seeing yourself the way God sees you.

Also, I noticed that you say you want to trust Jesus essentially because you fear God. Have you considered that Jesus himself said you should think of God as your father and not be afraid? That you are still fearful would indicate that something that you are believing about God is out of whack.

Your Bible says that God IS LOVE. It further says, "Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love."

Just something to ponder.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That's Not Why Jesus said he was sent...
During Jesus' ministry He offered to establish the kingdom of heaven on earth at that time if the Jews accepted Him as the Messiah. They didn't and the kingdom was postponed until His second advent. But His primary purpose and reason for coming into the world was to die for the sins of the world so that whoever believes in Him can have eternal life.

In Jesus' own words,
Matthew 20:28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
That's a reference to His going to the cross to die for the sins of the world.

And as a result, in Revelation 5:8-9 the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders sing a song saying,
And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation,

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-02-2016 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Condemnation is removed when a person receives Christ as Savior. But all men are born under condemnation. That is why salvation is necessary and why Jesus came into the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That's Not Why Jesus said he was sent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
During Jesus' ministry He offered to establish the kingdom of heaven on earth at that time if the Jews accepted Him as the Messiah. They didn't and the kingdom was postponed until His second advent. But His primary purpose and reason for coming into the world was to die for the sins of the world so that whoever believes in Him can have eternal life.

In Jesus' own words,
Matthew 20:28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
That's a reference to His going to the cross to die for the sins of the world.

And as a result, in Revelation 5:8-9 the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders sing a song saying,
And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation,
A ransom is paid to whomever is holding a person hostage. You believe that God condemned people, therefore needed to have Jesus pay a ransom to Godself in order to free humanity from... God. God was/is holding people hostage to condemnation unless they believe [your teachings] about God.

If you could just step back for a moment and see that what you preach is convoluted and self-contradictory. It portrays God in such a way that it holds people hostage to being afraid of the God you tell them they should love and trust.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:41 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
A ransom is paid to whomever is holding a person hostage. You believe that God condemned people, therefore needed to have Jesus pay a ransom to Godself in order to free humanity from... God. God was/is holding people hostage to condemnation unless they believe [your teachings] about God.

If you could just step back for a moment and see that what you preach is convoluted and self-contradictory. It portrays God in such a way that it holds people hostage to being afraid of the God you tell them they should love and trust.
The ransom was paid to God's righteousness. Man owes God perfect righteousness. Sin makes perfect righteousness impossible and therefore man cannot meet God's requirement of perfect righteousness. Therefore, one of the 'Persons' of the trinity, the pre-incarnate Jesus agreed to enter into the human race via the virgin birth and therefore free from the penalty of Adam's sin. Living a perfect life free from sin He was qualified to go to the cross, and as our substitute pay the penalty for our sins.

God's righteousness demanded a penalty for sin. God's love provided the solution to man's sin problem. God did what man couldn't. He made it possible for fallen man to be right with Him by accepting His grace plan of salvation in his behalf.

There's nothing convoluted or self-contradictory about it. Motivated by His love, God in grace provided the means of salvation from the condemnation brought about as the result of sin. All anyone has to do is to trust in the finished redemptive work of Christ on the cross in his behalf.

If you in your rebellion against God's word will not believe the writers of the Bible, chosen by God to receive and communicate His word, that's your concern. As for me, I believe what God has said.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Step back, Mike.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:55 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

God had a question for such convolution as yours:
"O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified.

For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.”

Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.”...

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for usfor it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”— so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.
stop purposefully maligning the truth ... Jesus paid the ransom in order to free humanity from the curse of the law

Old 01-02-2016, 01:02 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
When we come into the knowledge of the grace of God we understand that's always been there, we just couldn't comprehend it being so because we lived out of an alienated carnal mind(that depicted a god that needed appeasing) that denied it from us.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
.... Jesus paid the ransom in order to free humanity from the curse of the law
Releasing us from the curse of the Law did not involve paying a penalty, but of discrediting Law as basis for judgement. It is nhot the strictures of the Law that determines mour community, but the condition of the heart.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:55 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
.... Jesus paid the ransom in order to free humanity from the curse of the law
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Releasing us from the curse of the Law did not involve paying a penalty, but of discrediting Law as basis for judgement. It is nhot the strictures of the Law that determines mour community, but the condition of the heart.
your choice is to not believe the truth .... however God said it, thus those with the Spirit believes.
Matthew 20:28
just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve,
and to give His life as a ransom for many."

Galatians 3:13
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming acurse for us

for it is written,
“Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”—
so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles,
so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.

Last edited by twin.spin; 01-02-2016 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity