Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 08:13 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,788 times

Advertisements

Exactly what is "accommodating" about living with the concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation as the focus?

Try it for yourself and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 08:14 AM

598 posts, read 360,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post

Fix Christianity? Really? You're looking for the Jesus with no dirt under his fingernails, hair like a shampoo model and a lamb across his shoulders. He was crucified. The Jesus that is coming back, the same one mind you, is bringing a sword. What will you say on that day? Lord, Lord, I loved my neighbor? Your Word was a bunch of meany talk, but I believe because I am so polite to my neighbors.... as long as they don't place any faith in your trustworthy and prophetic Word!

Repent. Believe the Gospel, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.
Yes really !!!

There is a reason why Jesus said he would cast out demons for two days but in the third day He would be perfected

Jesus was always perfect but what is not anywhere near perfect is His Body on earth, and the reason why is all of the false doctrines being taught that did not start with the message of the lovebirds

Their "only love matters" advocates are teaching a false gospel but at least their gospel deters sinful conduct while the ones preaching eternal torment for others while they live in mansions behind gates of giant pearls and on streets made of gold are preaching a doctrine that encourages sin to thrive and responsible minds to turn away from God.

What the big difference is with the third day we are now at the dawn of is; for the first time in nearly 2000 years there will be people on earth with the truth of Christ in their hearts and worshipping God accordingly……….. something the rapture ready crowd (also believing Jesus is going to come back and kill millions of evil persons trying to capture Jerusalem) will not accomplish until they too are cleansed of all of the unclean false doctrines they continue to teach

The worst thing that has happened to the church is all of the seminaries and Bible colleges who still need to be taught how to first discern the truth before anyone can ever apprehend it………. all the love crowd is doing is swinging on a pendulum that is going in the opposite direction from the fundies when neither have a clue to the truth.

Whether it is getting out of Egypt or Babylon it does not matter as both are in captivity to false worship

Old 01-14-2016, 08:27 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,574,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Electron, let me guess. Brethren?
Christian. I attend a Southern Baptist Church.
Other labels that may also apply to me:
Reformed/Calvinist-- though very new and still studying.
Amilleniallist since 2013
Sinner saved by grace
and don't forget mean ol fundie.. or is it fundy???

Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,316,388 times
Quote:
Christian. I attend a Southern Baptist Church.
Other labels that may also apply to me:
Reformed/Calvinist-- though very new and still studying.
Amilleniallist since 2013
Sinner saved by grace
and don't forget mean ol fundie.. or is it fundy???
Fundie is the more socially acceptable non-vulgar term most christians us.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:42 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,441,384 times
Quote:
Hey look, all y'all... If I have come across as someone who hates his miserable self and is just waiting to be thrown into the lake of fire, I apologize. Reading Pleroo's post above, as a response to one of mine, I can see where I may have come across as doom and gloom... Let me see if I can clarify...

I posted it above, but Colossians 1:15-23 is where I am basing these statements. When I refer to man deserving hell, it's from that passage, Romans 1, and Hebrews 1. Christ is supreme. Man is the villain. The Gospel is God centered, Christ centered, and cross centered. I stand on the foundation that Christ died, once for all, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us back to God. The biblical worldview narrative is this: Creation, by God. Fall, from God. Redemption, to God, and consummation, through and with God. The OT Israelites sacrificed bulls, goats, birds, and lambs to pay for their sin. God loves you and I yes, but as it is written, without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin. Therefore Christ, the Word of God in the flesh, spotless, sinless, perfect, was crucified as payment for the sin of the world. He was then raised three days later, because death had no right to hold him. So yes, I say that only by God's mercy did I wake this morning, because no one is righteous, not even one. But I don't dwell on that. I dwell, well, I try to dwell, on the goodness and thankfulness and yes even love that I have for my Father in heaven and for his son, my savior. How does one repay Christ for that? He can't, but offering himself as a living sacrifice is a pretty good start, and loving one's neighbor is the beginning of that.
In other words, you've been told that you deserve to be sentenced to unending torment, you don't even deserve to live. If you truly understand what a vile creature you are, then you are grateful that God even allows you to keep breathing. And if you choose not to offer yourself to this God, to love this God, to believe the right things about this God, then it's your fault when this God beats you for eternity.

But hey, God loves you.

The things evangelical Christianity teaches is the equivalent of this:

"Abusers are expert manipulators with a knack for getting you to believe that the way you are being treated is your fault. These people know that everyone has insecurities, and they use those insecurities against you. Abusers can convince you that you do not deserve better treatment or that they are treating you this way to “help” you. "

It's sad how evangelical Christianity's teachings make God out to be so much like an abusive husband:

Psychological abuse can look like:
  1. Humiliating or embarrassing you.
  2. Constant put-downs.
  3. Hypercriticism.
  4. Refusing to communicate.
  5. Ignoring or excluding you.
  6. Unreasonable jealousy.
  7. Extreme moodiness.
  8. Saying “I love you but…”
  9. Saying things like “If you don’t _____, I will_____.”
  10. Domination and control.
  11. Withdrawal of affection.
  12. Guilt trips.
  13. Making everything your fault.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:47 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,286,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
In other words, you've been told that you deserve to be sentenced to unending torment, you don't even deserve to live. If you truly understand what a vile creature you are, then you are grateful that God even allows you to keep breathing. And if you choose not to offer yourself to this God, to love this God, to believe the right things about this God, then it's your fault when this God beats you for eternity.

But hey, God loves you.

The things evangelical Christianity teaches is the equivalent of this:

"Abusers are expert manipulators with a knack for getting you to believe that the way you are being treated is your fault. These people know that everyone has insecurities, and they use those insecurities against you. Abusers can convince you that you do not deserve better treatment or that they are treating you this way to “help” you. "

It's sad how that evangelical Christianity's teachings make God out to be so much like an abusive husband:

Psychological abuse can look like:
  1. Humiliating or embarrassing you.
  2. Constant put-downs.
  3. Hypercriticism.
  4. Refusing to communicate.
  5. Ignoring or excluding you.
  6. Unreasonable jealousy.
  7. Extreme moodiness.
  8. Saying “I love you but…”
  9. Saying things like “If you don’t _____, I will_____.”
  10. Domination and control.
  11. Withdrawal of affection.
  12. Guilt trips.
  13. Making everything your fault.

Nice try, Pleroo.

But it'll just bounce off their Fundashields.

Determined ignorance is tough to dent.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,801,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Nice try, Pleroo. But it'll just bounce off their Fundashields.
Absolutely. Anyone who tells happy people they are not happy are only trying to project their own feelings on others. It will bounce right off. I don't need people to tell me I am being abused when I know I am actually on the loving palm of Christ.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-14-2016 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 09:05 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,286,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Absolutely. Anyone who tells happy people they are not happy are only trying to project their own feelings on others.
Sure, Finn.

You are just a bundle of joy. You light up CD daily with your bright, happy, cheerful, uplifting observations. You are an inspiration to us all.

"Oh look!" the happy posters cry, "a new post from Finn! Yay! I'm going to read it and make a great day even better!! Praise Finn!!"

Old 01-14-2016, 09:05 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,441,384 times
You say this:
Quote:
Suffice to say, I got the exact answer I was expecting. <snip>
And then you say this, which proves that you didn't actually comprehend the answer you received
Quote:
The Gospel is NOT loving God and loving your neighbor. The Gospel is NOT the moral teachings of Jesus. The Gospel is NOT a get out of Hell free card. The Gospel is NOT a self esteem booster. <snip>

because I didn't say any of those things are the gospel. This is what I actually said the good news is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
God is not holding your sins against you, and you are only separated from God in your mind, not in reality. Period.

The people of Jesus' time really needed to hear that, I'd say. And so do those of us in this day and age who've been under the burden put on us by evangelical Christianity, and any other religion or world view, that insists we've got to do something or believe certain doctrines in order for God to stop being angry with us.

Your own bible says that's the message you Christians are supposed to be taking to the world. But boy, has that message been convoluted beyond recognition.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:31 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,574,596 times
Pleroo, I only said that your answer was what I expected it to be. I have apparently done a poor job of explaining that I know that God does indeed love you, me, us. Otherwise there would have been no need for the cross. Correct, God is not holding my sin against me, IF I continue in the Gospel that I received (back to Colossians 1). Where we differ in opinion is that I believe it to be reality, not in my mind. We reap what we sow, correct? So therefore if we consciously continue in sin, how do we reap paradise at the end of the age?
Putting on Christ is not a once and done deal. Salvation is, but sanctification takes a lifetime of renewing one's mind and becoming that living sacrifice. And when we stand in judgment, the righteousness of Christ is what is seen. If one rejects Christ, then that sin is most definitely held against them. Somebody's got to pay for the transgression. God could not be love he was not just. Somebody pays, either Christ paid or we pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity