Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 04:53 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I was replying to Nateswift, but since you want to butt in, you DON'T believe Jesus and the apostles, and you don't know the true nature of God. You reject everything in the Bible which you don't like and claim that the Holy Spirit is guiding you to the truth. You are far, far from the truth and are deeply deluded. Nor do you demonstrate any of the ''characteristics of the Holy Spirit'' in your posts on this forum.

Furthermore, your made up criteria for deciding what is true in the Bible and what is not by whether it contradicts the Spirit is a crock. If you believed what the apostles wrote you would have believed John who stated clearly that the revelation he was given was ''The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw.'' (Revelation 1:1-2).

I have no doubt that you personally are utterly incapable of understanding the book of Revelation. To understand it you must understand the Old Testament which you don't. The book of Revelation is full of prophecy which according to your false standard for determining what is true in the Bible ''is inconsistent with the Holy Spirit of agape. . . described by Jesus and His Apostles.'' Yet Jesus gave the Revelation to John and it is quite clear about the judgments which are to come on this world. You reject what it says because you refuse to believe that what it says is consistent with God's character.

Too soon to rep....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
With why most self righteous people hate the Bible:
John 3:16
" For God so loved the world [how?] that he gave his one and only son" ~ Jesus
For what purpose that he gave Jesus?
Isaiah 53:10
Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
Mark 9:12
Jesus replied, "... Why then is it written that the Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected?

Careful....that's too much truth in one post. Chips are falling. Peace

Old 10-25-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Of course I believe in God's indwelling Holy Spirit in believers. But, the Holy Spirit is not the author of confusion and does not contradict the revealed and recorded teachings of God and Christ ... with the vain philosophies and private thoughts of men. One does as the Bereans and other Christians down through history have always done: Compare their thoughts and what people say and believe with Bible truth.

How else does one know the Words of God and Christ, except through the Bible? --- which records truths such as, "The Word that I have spoken will judge you on the last day" (John 12:48); "The Word of God divides Spirit and flesh and joint and marrow ...." (Heb. 4:12); “Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. (Prov. 30:5); "But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water." (2 Pet. 3:5), etc., etc.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, you're running into the chief problem of the bibliolaters. Pull a single thread out of the tapestry that is the Bible, and the entire thing falls apart in their eyes. That's not very strong faith.

So they have to fight tooth and nail even the most evident contradictions. And there are a lot of them. For example, Adam and Eve had two children. Cain murders Abel and flees to the land of Nod, where he marries his wife and builds a city. Where did this wife come from? And where did the people come from to inhabit the city he built?

So those of us who take a more nuanced approach to scholarship are Bible haters. It's a standard lazy argument they use in order to not use the brains that God gave them in the first place.

In all your getting, get understanding. When He created Adam he was a many membered body just as Christ is a many membered body. He called THEIR name Adam. There are NO discrepancies that can't be explained. Peace

Old 10-25-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
So I ask you what I do every Bible idolotor----Do you believe Jesus would be happy to smash the heads of infants against rocks as is recorded by the psalmist in Psalm 137:9?

Do you understand Jesus intentionally left out the earth to Heaven commandments when He told the rich young ruler what commandments He should obey in order to get to Heaven? That Jesus mentioned only the six HUMAN relational commandments?

Do you understand that in Matthew Jesus six times stated OT Law as practiced by Jews were inadequate or flat out wrong?

A rule book mentality leads to much misinterpretation of Scripture and has resulted in justification for slavery and suppression of women, let alone the killing of witches and homosexuals.

If Jesus didn't result in a change of mind as well as heart, one hasn't met Him.

From the forward to the book SINNERS IN THE HANDS OF AN ANGRY GOD: THE SCANDALOUS TRUTH OF THE VERY GOOD NEWS:
---------------
If transformation is by the renewal of the mind and I have never changed my mind, then be assured I am actively resisting the work of the Holy Spirit in my life. Everyone who grows, changes. But it is hard work to change, to be open, to take the risk of trust.

Change always involves death and resurrection, and both are uncomfortable. Death because it involves letting go of old ways of seeing, of abandoning sometimes precious prejudices. It means having to ask for forgiveness and humble ourselves.

And resurrection is no easy process either; having to take risks of trust that were not required when everything seemed certain, agreeing with the new ways of seeing while not obliterating the people around you, some who told you what they thought was true but isn’t after all. Transformation is not easy; ask any butterfly.
----------
—WM. PAUL YOUNG, author of The Shack, Cross Roads, Eve, and Lies We Believe About God.

The important note here is that those who have met Jesus know nothing is certain, and things change for us just as they did for Peter:

“You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean” (Acts 10: 28).

Peter's understanding of OT Scripture CHANGED in that critical moment.

The measure of “right” interpretation is not based primarily on evaluating whether the text has been properly understood (the question of proper exegesis), but on evaluating the results when it is applied in our lives—observing whether it results in bringing about life or death, flourishing or harm. If I wish to read the Bible with that same aim, the question I need to ask is therefore not so much “Have I read this right?” but more importantly “Does this reading lead to life?”

Peter's understanding of the scripture did NOT change, the OT said that and meant that. What changed was the addition of the gentiles into the covenant. Big difference. Peace

Old 10-25-2017, 07:10 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
"Of course I believe in God's indwelling Holy Spirit in believers. But...."

Old 10-25-2017, 08:23 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Really? So you have been compared to Son of Sam on here, have you? No? Well, I have. Perhaps you need to read more of the posts on here to get a real clear picture at what's leveled at the fundys on a daily basis? But I wouldn't want to fall into the roll of "feeling persecuted" or anything. Peace
You live for the feeling of being persecuted. Then you can parade your psychic crown of thorns and garner pity from others who are equally spiritually twisted.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You live for the feeling of being persecuted. Then you can parade your psychic crown of thorns and garner pity from others who are equally spiritually twisted.

You live FOR persecuting and offer nothing but insults to posters on every thread on here. It's such an accomplishment; you must be very proud. Peace

Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You live FOR persecuting and offer nothing but insults to posters on every thread on here. It's such an accomplishment; you must be very proud. Peace
Does your particular god not mind that you lie?

That must comfort you.

A lot.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Does your particular god not mind that you lie?

That must comfort you.

A lot.

I just gleaned these from the last 2 pages of your posts. Now which one of us is a liar? Peace

"Maybe if you cut down on your sinning, you'd feel a smidge better."

"Fortunately, your opinion and a fart in a windstorm have equal merit."

"Everybody knows what you are. And those that matter, know what I am."

"But I have. It's not that difficult. I'm sorry you don't possess the strength of character required to stop hurting your god."

"If truth mattered to fundamentalists, there wouldn't be any."

"I don't understand why you just don't stop sinning if it tends to upset your god."

"LOL. You're a funny, sad little man."

"Fundies follow their heart by worshiping a god who hates. Hate resonates with them."

""Helping people to realize" a lie is not helping anyone except the liar. "

"No, I don't believe in any of the bible gods. Or in Satan. Makes for better sleep. "

"You live for the feeling of being persecuted. Then you can parade your psychic crown of thorns and garner pity from others who are equally spiritually twisted."

"It's plain to see those who worship a god because he scares the **** out of them. How sad. "

"You do indeed. But keep in mind that it's fundamentalists we're dealing with here. Most do not have either the intellect or education to add shades of grey to their black and white world. Nuance... "

"Book-burners are the last to lecture anyone about what constitutes spirituality, or morality - or really anything at all. That's like pigs defining haute cuisine."

"If navel-gazing is your thing, go for it. But finding lint doesn't hold my interest."

"Son of Sam heard voices too."

"The fact they're so unhesitant to expose their ignorance only hastens their extinction. Keep singin' it Rbbi1!! "

"Two poster children for the harm that can be inflicted on certain mindsets simply by reading and believing the bible. I hope the lurkers realize the importance of common sense and a high school education."

"Only not valid to a blinkered fundie."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity