Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:18 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Honoring Mary is one thing. Thinking that she, like God himself, can hear prayers is another matter entirely. A person would have to be divine to hear the words of someone here on earth after he or she had died and was no longer here themselves.

I believe the dead (Mary and everybody else) continue to be cognizant spirits prior to the resurrection of their bodies. When I'm thinking of my parents, who are both deceased), I sometimes ask God to give them my love and my thanks for being such extraordinary parents. I believe He can hear me, and if He so chooses, that He can convey my love and gratitude to them. I don't believe, however, that I can ask them to pray for me. They aren't divine. God is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Honoring Mary is one thing. Thinking that she, like God himself, can hear prayers is another matter entirely. A person would have to be divine to hear the words of someone here on earth after he or she had died and was no longer here themselves.

I believe the dead (Mary and everybody else) continue to be cognizant spirits prior to the resurrection of their bodies. When I'm thinking of my parents, who are both deceased), I sometimes ask God to give them my love and my thanks for being such extraordinary parents. I believe He can hear me, and if He so chooses, that He can convey my love and gratitude to them. I don't believe, however, that I can ask them to pray for me. They aren't divine. God is.
I find it unusual that you think spirits can be cognizant (a thought I share) yet you don't think they can pray. Or that your God would hear them.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:32 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Default Here is a whole page on Catholic Answers explaining praying to the saints

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...saints+bibical

Old 11-02-2017, 03:38 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Janelle, in all sincerity.
Do you believe this articles account?

Old 11-02-2017, 03:40 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Janelle, in all sincerity.
Do you believe this articles account?
Yes, I do.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I find it unusual that you think spirits can be cognizant (a thought I share) yet you don't think they can pray. Or that your God would hear them.
I do think they can pray, and I do think that God can hear them. What I don't think is that they can hear us ask them to pray for us.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I do think they can pray, and I do think that God can hear them. What I don't think is that they can hear us ask them to pray for us.
Ah, ok.

I still disagree.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ah, ok.

I still disagree.
Okay, well let me ask you this... How good are you at mental telepathy? If you wanted to hear from an old friend, would you just think of him and wish he'd get in touch and expect it to happen? Or would you feel like, in order to really make a connection, you'd have to phone, e-mail or text him?

Old 11-03-2017, 03:36 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Maybe being female, in a war torn state, with anti female types above you, for 8 hrs, with machine guns, ak-47's most likley, with a penchant to use them on any infidel, let alone female, just might make anyone a believer too?

Most importantly, it's probably safe to say that prayer only goes so far, opening your heart to god in earnest goes further? Can't imagine they could have felt more earnest, hearts more open, and beliefs more dear than at that precise 8 hour ordeal to get your message out.

That or those soldiers were so laser focused on survival they never noticed. Bullets whizzing by might have kept their attention for awhile so....there's.....that.

Whether you believe in God, Mary's importance in scripture or the power of the AK-47 or not, I believe this might be anecdotal evidence that SOMEONE up above was listening and felt it important enough to help spare them.

But, we are all only guessing, why not interview those who actually endured it, front row seat no less and hear more of what they say?

8 hours with guns blazing on and off?

Amen, and may God Bless them and their families, in-laws, outaws whatever......maybe Netflix can make another "made for Netflix" specials....I've been watching Escobar and all the spinoffs of surviving, enduring, the man, the myth, you name it for weeks.....

This might be a nice break in the cartel glory on the big home screen venues as of late....

Old 11-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Okay, well let me ask you this... How good are you at mental telepathy? If you wanted to hear from an old friend, would you just think of him and wish he'd get in touch and expect it to happen? Or would you feel like, in order to really make a connection, you'd have to phone, e-mail or text him?
Definitely one of the latter three, if s/he's still on the planet.

Because that's where I am and I'm not a spirit. If I was a spirit, perhaps without bodily limitations, I would also find myself without mental ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity