Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 06:18 PM

88,734 posts, read 85,100,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Ya, well He's still watching and listening.

"Whoever persevers to the end will be saved. "
LOL, poor you.

Fortunately, I learned that isn't what God is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 06:20 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
I Loved the good news then the good news they taught me is you are saved from eternal hell. Being the gullible fundy i accepted this false fact they held tol with no scriptural basis whatsoever How the **** did this ever happen?

Old 05-05-2018, 06:21 PM

3,220 posts, read 929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, poor you.

Fortunately, I learned that isn't what God is.
You didn't learn from His word, the law and the prophets.

Poor you.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:34 PM

15,898 posts, read 6,366,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I grew up going to a Southern Baptist church where I remember hearing the stories about Jesus, and the songs about him. I knew the basics of his life. I really loved him.

But then when I was about 12 I heard the "good news" from a family member. They told me that it wasn't enough just to love God and love Jesus. You had to pray to receive Jesus "into your heart". That confused me. It worried me. What did it even mean?

Ever since that time I sort of lost that special love that I had for Jesus. He became something threatening and confusing.

Can anyone else relate to this experience?
My sect is like that too but they don't instruct children differently then adults so I was 4 or 5 when I was told about the "good news" that Jehovah was about to destroy "the wicked"(my mom was the only JW so that meant everyone else I knew). Some churches use age appropriate teachings for children but in my world a toddler was expected to sit still and listen to endless hours of spiritual nourishment right along of an adult. So I don't remember ever not believing by best was not going to be good enough. It's a little better to get hit with it at 12 than 4 but it's still damaging. What that means is that you are responsible for your salvation while calling it a free gift and telling a person to trust in God. It's deliberately designed not to make sense so it can keep your thinking off balanced and keep you believing the problem lies with you. Who is the author of confusion again?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind

1 Corinthians 14:33 King James Version (KJV)
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:52 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I grew up going to a Southern Baptist church where I remember hearing the stories about Jesus, and the songs about him. I knew the basics of his life. I really loved him.

But then when I was about 12 I heard the "good news" from a family member. They told me that it wasn't enough just to love God and love Jesus. You had to pray to receive Jesus "into your heart". That confused me. It worried me. What did it even mean?

Ever since that time I sort of lost that special love that I had for Jesus. He became something threatening and confusing.

Can anyone else relate to this experience?
I just find it odd that you just took what someone else told you so seriously. I'd have just brushed such a silly comment off and continued to love Jesus. But that's me. I never base my beliefs on what other people tell me.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:07 PM

15,898 posts, read 6,366,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just find it odd that you just took what someone else told you so seriously. I'd have just brushed such a silly comment off and continued to love Jesus. But that's me. I never base my beliefs on what other people tell me.
You have a pretty cool dad that taught you to think for yourself. Some of us had parents that were only concerned that we did what we told.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You have a pretty cool dad that taught you to think for yourself. Some of us had parents that were only concerned that we did what we told.
Thank you. And I'm really sorry that you didn't have the same experience.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:12 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,897,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

That's kind of difficult to do when you are confronted with this message and have no way of confirming it unless you were to attempt to read a gargantuan book like the Bible, and not knowing if you would even be able to comprehend it if you tried. There was no internet back then like we have today.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:12 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times
In the end the only one offering eternal life is Jesus I I were you would take the offer
I have been slow on that one but I just turned 70

Old 05-06-2018, 08:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
In the end the only one offering eternal life is Jesus I I were you would take the offer
I have been slow on that one but I just turned 70
I guess that's what it boils down to for most believers - put your faith in the god(s) with the best offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity