Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,918,299 times

Advertisements

I grew up going to a Southern Baptist church where I remember hearing the stories about Jesus, and the songs about him. I knew the basics of his life. I really loved him.

But then when I was about 12 I heard the "good news" from a family member. They told me that it wasn't enough just to love God and love Jesus. You had to pray to receive Jesus "into your heart". That confused me. It worried me. What did it even mean?

Ever since that time I sort of lost that special love that I had for Jesus. He became something threatening and confusing.

Can anyone else relate to this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 01:28 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,033,407 times
I wasn't told that "it wasn't enough".

I was told, "there's more".

At the time I was ok with 'more'. It's only as I got older and learned, the hard way, about control (i.e. hierarchical, non-servant-based power), that I had to start forming my own views.

I do understand the threatening and confusing aspect though - ours was a Pentecostal church, and we'd have visiting preachers, and people would be 'slain' in the spirit every now and again. That was frightening. I'm quite sure when I went for prayer once I was pushed, and then it was the expectation you'd need (and want) to speak in tongues because 'its what you needed to get through life, beat the devil, and not backslide'. It all seems like a well trodden, somewhat inorganic / manufactured path when I look back now. But perhaps there was a deposit of the Holy Spirit that was greater than I'd have otherwise had in my teenage years - hard to say.

I prefer spirituality and knowing God being less thrust or 'worked' onto people. A conversation with mutual seekers or to discuss exploration / opportunities is fine of course, and that's the way I will take with my kids - i don't want them to feel forced or indoctrinated. The best is Father Himself - if he wants to give people an experience, He's the best one to do it, and in His time.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:42 AM

8 posts, read 4,232 times
I’m confused

Old 05-05-2018, 01:48 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,033,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbook View Post
I’m confused
About what?

Old 05-05-2018, 03:15 AM

9,700 posts, read 10,067,141 times
Heard this once in the spirit through works of God which is called ``slacker `` which people put off what they could do today

Old 05-05-2018, 06:47 AM

4,765 posts, read 2,004,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I grew up going to a Southern Baptist church where I remember hearing the stories about Jesus, and the songs about him. I knew the basics of his life. I really loved him.

But then when I was about 12 I heard the "good news" from a family member. They told me that it wasn't enough just to love God and love Jesus. You had to pray to receive Jesus "into your heart". That confused me. It worried me. What did it even mean?

Ever since that time I sort of lost that special love that I had for Jesus. He became something threatening and confusing.

Can anyone else relate to this experience?
Your problem is listening to man's theology instead of to God's theology. There is no Scripture that says to become a Christian we must ask Jesus to come into our heart.

IMO what we must do is said in Rom 10:9. Have you confessed Jesus as Lord and do you believe God raised Him from the dead?

It may even be simpler than that. Paul's Jailer was told "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved(ACTS 16:31).

IMO that believing includes truly believing all the Bible says about Jesus.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:51 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,398,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Your problem is listening to man's theology instead of to God's theology. There is no Scripture that says to become a Christian we must ask Jesus to come into our heart.

IMO what we must do is said in Rom 10:9. Have you confessed Jesus as Lord and do you believe God raised Him from the dead?

It may even be simpler than that. Paul's Jailer was told "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved(ACTS 16:31).

What does it mean to you that Christ is raised from the dead?

Old 05-05-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Heard this once in the spirit through works of God which is called ``slacker `` which people put off what they could do today
"Works"? What does this mean? Are you referring to believing in miracles and the possible supernatural aspects of God? Because to me, that does not qualify as either a work or an act of love.

We can love others and love God without believing those things.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post

Right away there is a discrepancy. Back in those days people believed in either Caesar or the new Jesus as their Lord. I would have believed in Jesus over Caesar. Yes, I would have chosen the new lord Jesus given that choice. Both religious groups claimed that their particular lord had died and was now ruling from heaven. But those people who wanted to follow Jesus over Caesar didn't have a New Testament to believe in. They died without hearing any of the things in the New Testament.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 05-05-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 05-05-2018, 08:38 AM

1,196 posts, read 758,044 times
true we have to love Jesus and his Father Jehovah God...from the heart. by doing so, we prove that we want to... do the "WILL" of Jesus Father, as Jesus had said ,(Matt. 7:21 Not every one that say unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that do the will of my Father which is in heaven). which means OBEY his words. and to follow Jesus examples of how we should walk ,(1Pet.2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps).

but that's not what Jesus said was referring to concerning the "Good News". when Jesus spoke of the "Good News", he was referring to his Father. his Father's kingdom that will soon to be on Earth, and peace which will soon come. he taught us to pray for it ,(Matt. 6:10 "Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven"), see also (Matt. 5:5). i was more confused on whether Jesus had a Father or NOT, more so then him. because MANY said Jesus was the Father and God, even though he told us the had one.

I love Jesus and his Father Jehovah God from the Heart. so much that i try hard to live in a way that's pleasing to them. confusion didn't make me love them any less. it just made me want to learn more about them. it can give us life ,(1Tim. 2:3,4 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth). peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity