Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If someone can't even say anything without quoting something else, then to me they have said nothing at all and they have no real mind at all. The quotes are meaningless out of their context.

In other words, they are a mindless robot.

If they can't say what they believe without using religious or biblical terms then there is no substance to what they are or what they believe.
You asked for Bible verses about asking forgiveness. I gave you one on my own and a link to a dozen others. What more did you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 09:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Look up "Stockholm Syndrome"
And "sadist."

Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. Not really. If the only reason one trusts Christ is to avoid hell they're missing the point. That's certainly part of it, but God wants to have a relationship with us that goes beyond simply not roasting us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Wow. You really do think God roasts people. Roasts them.

How do you have a "relationship" with someone who you believe threatens such a thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Look up "Stockholm Syndrome"
Stockholm Syndrome: "feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor"

Yes.

Unless BFun is one of those people who believes he was predestined and so was never in danger of "being roasted" to begin with? Then, in his mind, he's not a victim and he's just watching other victims from the sidelines. Like a Roman citizen watching people being thrown to the lions; it's entertainment?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:34 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
I actually find the first paragraph of this thread curious. You really felt that you "loved Jesus"? I can't recall ever thinking/feeling that. As a child, I found Jesus to be a stern, frightening character because of the focus on death and the teaching that I was awful just for existing and Jesus knew it and was just waiting for me to do something bad so he could get me. Hard to love that.

But even as an adult, when I returned to a better church and studied in a more intelligent environment and got it that Jesus was pointing out that God is love and love is the thing that connects and binds us, I never thought, "Gee whiz, I really LOVE Jesus."

Old 05-09-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I actually find the first paragraph of this thread curious. You really felt that you "loved Jesus"? I can't recall ever thinking/feeling that. As a child, I found Jesus to be a stern, frightening character because of the focus on death and the teaching that I was awful just for existing and Jesus knew it and was just waiting for me to do something bad so he could get me. Hard to love that.

But even as an adult, when I returned to a church and studied in a more intelligent environment and got it that Jesus was pointing out that God is love and love is the thing that connects and binds us, I never thought, "Gee whiz, I really LOVE Jesus."
And, for me, it was a belief that the reason God could even stand looking at me was because Jesus was "covering" me and God wasn't actually looking at me, but at Jesus. So, essentially, I was hidden by Jesus and if I ever came out from behind Jesus, God would have to throw me away forever: I was garbage. I guess I loved Jesus because Jesus was saving me from God.

When all the doctrines were cleared away, I began to see that Jesus was always pointing people to "the Father" who loved. You don't need saving from someone who loves you.

But, yeah, either way, Jesus isn't the focus.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:48 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,694 times
Try not to be dissuaded by the dispensationalist fundamentalist nonsense!

Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And, for me, it was a belief that the reason God could even stand looking at me was because Jesus was "covering" me and God wasn't actually looking at me, but at Jesus. So, essentially, I was hidden by Jesus and if I ever came out from behind Jesus, God would have to throw me away forever: I was garbage. I guess I loved Jesus because Jesus was saving me from God.

When all the doctrines were cleared away, I began to see that Jesus was always pointing people to "the Father" who loved. You don't need saving from someone who loves you.
Interesting, but just as sad as my own perspective.

I felt like Jesus worked for God to keep an eye on me so he could catch me when I was bad. I knew we were SUPPOSED to "love Jesus", but I figured everyone was lying to keep out of trouble. I would never have admitted that I didn't love Jesus or that I didn't feel as if Jesus loved me.

After my cousin died when I was six and I became afraid that God was going to kill me, too, I had the sensation that I was being followed by what I thought of as The Dark Thing. It wasn't quite God, but something that God allowed to follow me or was watching me on his behalf. I would turn around as fast as I could to catch it behind me, but it disappeared before I got more than a glimpse. Fortunately, I figured out that by counting to certain numbers or taking a certain number of steps (it was 18 from the living room down the hall to my bedroom, I remember) that would keep the Dark Thing from getting me. The seeds of OCD.

I'm Exhibit A of how misapplied religious belief foisted on children contributes to mental illness, and that's why it's easy for me to see it in others.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:

I felt like Jesus worked for God to keep an eye on me so he could catch me when I was bad. I knew we were SUPPOSED to "love Jesus", but I figured everyone was lying to keep out of trouble. I would never have admitted that I didn't love Jesus or that I didn't feel as if Jesus loved me.

After my cousin died when I was six and I became afraid that God was going to kill me, too, I had the sensation that I was being followed by what I thought of as The Dark Thing. It wasn't quite God, but something that God allowed to follow me or was watching me on his behalf. I would turn around as fast as I could to catch it behind me, but it disappeared before I got more than a glimpse. Fortunately, I figured out that by counting to certain numbers or taking a certain number of steps (it was 18 from the living room down the hall to my bedroom, I remember) that would keep the Dark Thing from getting me. The seeds of OCD.

I'm Exhibit A of how misapplied religious belief foisted on children contributes to mental illness, and that's why it's easy for me to see it in others.
Poor little baby girl, that must have been hard. I know I had an extremely bad childhood that led to a bad life because of being taught religion from birth, children believe what they read.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I also attribute the deep depression and suicidal thoughts that I suffered (past tense) under my whole life, from the time I was very young, in part, to my religious beliefs. I know there are people for whom their religious beliefs don't impact them in that way, so they can't understand, perhaps, how those beliefs are damaging to others. I'm so grateful to be out from under that influence now.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Poor little baby girl, that must have been hard. I know I had an extremely bad childhood that led to a bad life because of being taught religion from birth, children believe what they read.
And what they are taught by those whom they trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity