Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 06:44 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So...there was nothing bad in tobacco smoke until when? When did that happen?

1970,s. Somehow they figured out by adding all those poisons it rushed the nicotine to the brain, and made it even harder to quit them. Filters were added in the 60,s-fiberglass particles. They targeted children. I started at 12 i could walk in a store and buy a pack 27 cents. They have added more and more nicotine since then as well. They made it seem cool( fool- the real spelling)

Old 07-12-2018, 07:23 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvduv View Post
I am getting back to the thread subject. In terms of classification as a cult perhaps by virtue of seeking to keep the followers within the fold, it doesn't seem that the JW are more in that situation than other groups. And of course the JW have features that resemble the Catholic Church as well (central ideological control).
Other aspects such as secrecy seemed to be more prevalent among the Mormons who have secret rituals and who don't even reveal financial records for tithing to their members.

Perhaps a better description of JW is "eccentric." That seems to me to be more appropriate. Perhaps even "very eccentric." It seems to me it would be awfully difficult to describe a sect composed of millions of people worldwide as a cult which corresponds to Branch Davidians or some Far Eastern neo-Hindu sect. Thus my tentative view is that the hostility towards the JW more than other groups is probably exaggerated and overblown, even if they are very eccentric. ;-)
If you're asking how they deal with the failed end time predictions is that The Watchtower denies making them. They claim it was the members who read too much into things they said or it is all apostate lies. Even when we use the Watchtower's own publications to show what was said we are accused of twisting words. Whenever anything changes it's called "new light" or a "refined understanding". The old understanding is discarded. Current members cannot talk critically of the governing body or they are kicked out on charges of apostasy and will be completely shunned by family and friends. They are an insular group so that often includes a person's entire social circle.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:45 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
JWs had many early teachings that were still much as the Church. Charles Taz Russell still is credited with its origin of his followers called Bible students and Russellites. His BIG interest was also Pyramidolgy (commonly called that then) linking the Pyramids with Christianity. He wrote about it and taught it. Why his followers (and it was early JWs of Watchtower Society ..... that placed a Pyramid granite memorial, across from his headstone in Pittsburgh. This was just before 1920 he passed. It has a CROSS and CROWN .... at each sided top and open bible. JWs either do not acknowledge it or claim it wasn't them or Watchtower that put it there or don't know of it.

One could go into many earlier teachings and changes and document in all by there many publications since the 1870s origin and Russell as head. After Russell's death Judge Rutherford lead. One BIG letdown expectation. Was his that the OLD TESTEMENT PROPHETS WOULD RETURN. A grand California home was built for them and still stands. Eventually Russell himself just used it as a part-time home living there and his many cars.

Lots of goings on and changes his era. The cross went and no Jesus return but a Presence of sitting on the Throne in heaven..... I believe that was 1918? The Jesus was God with us still in basic teaching.... became totally denied by the time there Bible translation was printed. One key verse changed ...... sealed that doctrine as false that Jesus was in any essence God.

People may recognize this verse:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God".

The JW version adds on letter.....

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was (a) god".

Jesus being a angel teaching also as not in any form in essence .... God with us in the man Jesus Christ.
But anyway .... the point is tat JWs merely are taught TODAY as way back..... they ALWAYS HAD THE TRUTH vs any Church. But many changes to predictions came and went. They are taught ..... ANY CHANGE WAS -- "NEW LIGHT" FROM JEHOVAH GOD. It is like God deals new or corrections in spurts.

But they merely automatically adopt and teach the new correction ... as if the old basically never was. Any comments on past teachings will only get the basic comments you get here and what they are taught to reply on all things.

You question very little and once corrected YOU CONFORM to the Collective in Kingdom Halls. They recognize NO CHURCH as every one is Christendom and in Apostasy. Basically, with Pastors deceiving them no matter how sincere they claim Faith thru Christ..... Church Christians are still basically PAGANS. There books (for them) show the god of the Church as a 3-headed deity. Not merely Trinitarians either.

You do not think independently on the Bible. You only give the teaching as taught and written. Why JWs I find do not explain things in their own words.... as if a fear of getting it wrong even. Most true Church Christens ill clearly describe Faith and eat it means to them.

If you are taught thru Watchtower and their Baptism .... you are in false religions.

I have dome JW relatives. They once gave me red embossed books that held most of there fundamental teachings. I once went to there home Bible study ... but it was a lesson booklet used. Men basically were called on to answer each question for that lessen and give the answer teaching from the book. (I got the impression they had better know it) NO questions were allowed during it. Very unlike the Church Bible study's I went to word for word out of the bible and any questions welcome. Just too longer to get thru Chapters. But you were not just expected to accept a teaching if you wondered why and another verse better not contradict it. If some did? Might be a warning sign.....

New light from God and Bible translation with subtle changes in the JW bible helps avoid some. But plenty left vs JW official teachings. But again. New Light and some other Bible versions claimed mis-interpreted it.

You as a JW who held the TRUTH of Jesus back to the Apostles day before Watchtower? All you will get is SMALL FLOCKS and no group named. They are taught early Christians an Church .... went into Apostasy early after Jesus day. Yet they adopted the Bible as Chartered and versed from its assembly into the 3rd century. A CONTRADICTION if these in the Church assembling it and the Books from Judaism in it. While the Church was in full Apostasy to them.

The JWs of today all fully reject Israel the Nation .... as having anything to do with Prophecy. No literal Nation expectation. Therefore for the Israeli Notion to them is as if Fake. The deny Jews of today as they do Church Christians. Everyone is deceived but them.

JWs teach a blood transfusion is basically .... eating the blood and therefore forbidden by the Food laws. Yet they do not follow Jews food laws. Like no eating meat of scavenger animals basically. But they link blood in a transfusion to it as the only form they do.

The only Kingdom Hall visit I did ..... was on a Passover Sunday. I saw a table set up front. I thought I'd see a Communion Last Supper memorial? But found out that basically only Watchtower elite partook and none there would be. Like a TRUE SEPRATION of the Leaders from the laity of a lessor Class. A two tiered at least system and goes into their reasoning of onlt 144,000 among them will go to heaven to rule with Jesus on his throne. Like David a earthly King .... had his throne taken up there and no Jesus return to sit in it as head of Nations on earth.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-12-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
JWs had many early teachings that were still much as the Church. Charles Taz Russell still is credited with its origin of his followers called Bible students and Russellites. His BIG interest was also Pyramidolgy (commonly called that then) linking the Pyramids with Christianity. He wrote about it and taught it. Why his followers (and it was early JWs of Watchtower Society ..... that placed a Pyramid granite memorial, across from his headstone in Pittsburgh. This was just before 1920 he passed. It has a CROSS and CROWN .... at each sided top and open bible. JWs either do not acknowledge it or claim it wasn't them or Watchtower that put it there or don't know of it.

One could go into many earlier teachings and changes and document in all by there many publications since the 1870s origin and Russell as head. After Russell's death Judge Rutherford lead. One BIG letdown expectation. Was his that the OLD TESTEMENT PROPHETS WOULD RETURN. A grand California home was built for them and still stands. Eventually Russell himself just used it as a part-time home living there and his many cars.

Lots of goings on and changes his era. The cross went and no Jesus return but a Presence of sitting on the Throne in heaven..... I believe that was 1918? The Jesus was God with us still in basic teaching.... became totally denied by the time there Bible translation was printed. One key verse changed ...... sealed that doctrine as false that Jesus was in any essence God.

People may recognize this verse:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God".

The JW version adds on letter.....

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was (a) god".

Jesus being a angel teaching also as not in any form in essence .... God with us in the man Jesus Christ.
But anyway .... the point is tat JWs merely are taught TODAY as way back..... they ALWAYS HAD THE TRUTH vs any Church. But many changes to predictions came and went. They are taught ..... ANY CHANGE WAS -- "NEW LIGHT" FROM JEHOVAH GOD. It is like God deals new or corrections in spurts.

But they merely automatically adopt and teach the new correction ... as if the old basically never was. Any comments on past teachings will only get the basic comments you get here and what they are taught to reply on all things.

You question very little and once corrected YOU CONFORM to the Collective in Kingdom Halls. They recognize NO CHURCH as every one is Christendom and in Apostasy. Basically, with Pastors deceiving them no matter how sincere they claim Faith thru Christ..... Church Christians are still basically PAGANS. There books (for them) show the god of the Church as a 3-headed deity. Not merely Trinitarians either.

You do not think independently on the Bible. You only give the teaching as taught and written. Why JWs I find do not explain things in their own words.... as if a fear of getting it wrong even. Most true Church Christens ill clearly describe Faith and eat it means to them.

If you are taught thru Watchtower and their Baptism .... you are in false religions.

I have dome JW relatives. They once gave me red embossed books that held most of there fundamental teachings. I once went to there home Bible study ... but it was a lesson booklet used. Men basically were called on to answer each question for that lessen and give the answer teaching from the book. (I got the impression they had better know it) NO questions were allowed during it. Very unlike the Church Bible study's I went to word for word out of the bible and any questions welcome. Just too longer to get thru Chapters. But you were not just expected to accept a teaching if you wondered why and another verse better not contradict it. If some did? Might be a warning sign.....

New light from God and Bible translation with subtle changes in the JW bible helps avoid some. But plenty left vs JW official teachings. But again. New Light and some other Bible versions claimed mis-interpreted it.

You as a JW who held the TRUTH of Jesus back to the Apostles day before Watchtower? All you will get is SMALL FLOCKS and no group named. They are taught early Christians an Church .... went into Apostasy early after Jesus day. Yet they adopted the Bible as Chartered and versed from its assembly into the 3rd century. A CONTRADICTION if these in the Church assembling it and the Books from Judaism in it. While the Church was in full Apostasy to them.

The JWs of today all fully reject Israel the Nation .... as having anything to do with Prophecy. No literal Nation expectation. Therefore for the Israeli Notion to them is as if Fake. The deny Jews of today as they do Church Christians. Everyone is deceived but them.

JWs teach a blood transfusion is basically .... eating the blood and therefore forbidden by the Food laws. Yet they do not follow Jews food laws. Like no eating meat of scavenger animals basically. But they link blood in a transfusion to it as the only form they do.

The only Kingdom Hall visit I did ..... was on a Passover Sunday. I saw a table set up front. I thought I'd see a Communion Last Supper memorial? But found out that basically only Watchtower elite partook and none there would be. Like a TRUE SEPRATION of the Leaders from the laity of a lessor Class. A two tiered at least system and goes into their reasoning of onlt 144,000 among them will go to heaven to rule with Jesus on his throne. Like David a earthly King .... had his throne taken up there and no Jesus return to sit in it as head of Nations on earth.

Thanks for noticing that the bible does teach 2 different promises, yet one flock-- The little flock( Luke 12:32= the bride of Christ-the anointed=144,000( Rev 14:3) are bought from the earth to heaven. Will sit on thrones alongside Jesus.
And the great multitude that no man can #--promised to stand before the throne. That does not say to heaven. Jesus made this promise to them= Matthew 5:5--Happy are the meek, for they will inherit the EARTH. They will stand before the throne, on earth. Gods kingdom will be the only ruling power in existence then( Daniel 2:44), so no matter where one stands ,they will be standing before the throne.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
1970,s. Somehow they figured out by adding all those poisons it rushed the nicotine to the brain, and made it even harder to quit them. Filters were added in the 60,s-fiberglass particles. They targeted children. I started at 12 i could walk in a store and buy a pack 27 cents. They have added more and more nicotine since then as well. They made it seem cool( fool- the real spelling)
So prior to 1970 cigarettes were healthy? Who knew??!!

Old 07-13-2018, 07:51 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Thanks for noticing that the bible does teach 2 different promises, yet one flock-- The little flock( Luke 12:32= the bride of Christ-the anointed=144,000( Rev 14:3) are bought from the earth to heaven. Will sit on thrones alongside Jesus.

And the great multitude that no man can #--promised to stand before the throne. That does not say to heaven. Jesus made this promise to them= Matthew 5:5--Happy are the meek, for they will inherit the EARTH. They will stand before the throne, on earth. Gods kingdom will be the only ruling power in existence then( Daniel 2:44), so no matter where one stands ,they will be standing before the throne.
The Jehovah Witnesses are not part of the 144,000. And nowhere close to being the great multitude?

Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
So apparently.... my post stands as accurate on JW true teachings. Thank You. You did not have to correct a thing. Yes I heard exactly what you posted as JW entirely will use exactly what they are to post on things in general.

Most Protestant Churches teach a Millennial reign of Christ to come. King David was a earthly King and so was his throne. No verse says David or his Throne especially. Was taken up to heaven. Just because Jesus is seen to literally return for HIS Millennial Reign on earth. Doesn't destroy anyone Faith through and in Christ.

*** How about Judge Rutherford era leading Watchtower and utilizing the term Jehovah Witnesses..... yet HE TAUGHT THE OLD TESTEMENT PROPHETS WOULD LITERALLY RETURN TO EARTH. That expectation was maintained with a final prediction on it .... by 1925. Then it just stopped as it WAS FALSE PROPHECY.

Once things are in GOD'S TIMING and in Heaven. Man need not claim to know every detail GOD KNÔWING THE DETAILS IS SUFFICIANT..... not teaching MAN MUST claim only 144,000 humans period .... only ever go to heaven as Watchtower teaches that.

In Faith .... our calling is to overcome evil and Satan's influence AS OUR PRIME DIRECTIVE. GOD HOLDS THE DETILS AND TIMINGS. It's MAN'S reasoning to see this 144,000 .... are the Old Testament Prophets, the Apostles to Watchtower leaders thru the decades and chosen rest from JWs .... as only they have truth (according to JW books). NOTHING TO DO WITH GODS ORIGINAL CHOSEN PEOPLE (Jews etc.)..... but JWs ARE TRUE ISRAEL TODAY and since anything of Church is APÔSTATE Christendom to JWs ..... as unworthy in Apostasy. JW books .... teach the CHURCH IS ALREADY JUDGED AND CONDEMNED. They never tell you that outright. Very subtle in the attempt at converting you.

JWs should not even be in these WÔRLDLY forums .... Watchtower declared as the internet became a standard in our lives. At first it was embraced to teach. But they soon learned.... their followers all could learn things that could corrupt them to seeing Watchtower was the ONLY TRUTH PERIOD TODAY on earth God reveals and speaks. Watchtower then FORBID THE INTERNET for JWs but for necessary documentation for school and work skills. NOT PLAY OR AMONG THE WORLD OF THINGS.

So obedient JWs ... would NEVER REVEAL being on here to others, as they are not to be on the internet among the worldly things ....

No one should believe JWs see them as FELLOW FOLLOWERS IN AND THRU CHRIST. Despite our differences. THER BOOKS ARE CLEAR.... On Jesus and Jehovah and TRUE RELIGION as they call it ... ONLY THEY ARE IN. Most Churches call it TRUE FAITH THRU JUSUS THE CHRIST and we STILL CAN UNITE IN CHRIST as there is ONE FAITH. But JWs are taught that IT ALL IS ONLY THEM TODAY.... all documented in their books for them.

No other group .... documented there own evolution and changing doctrines or numerous predictions.... as the JW Organization from origins in the 1870s to today.
There is no linage before ... but thru the Church to Christ. Small flocks.... for 1900 years before the, just isn't sufficient. Especially, since the Bible was assembled thru the early Church and books chosen for old and new testament. JWs still use.

Basically, nothing else for me to post or seen as being rude. So this is my final post on it here.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-13-2018 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 08:44 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
I'm not sure what this thread is about, but I find it funny how people diss JWs all the time when they're the religious sect that have kept Torah consistently. I think people are going to be in for a shocker in the end. If people are going to follow any religion at all, I think the JWs are your safest bet...if you really want to live according to the Bible. As I said before, I'm not a fan of organized religion, but the JWs will are the closest to the "right" path of any.

When I first read Revelation, I thought the JWs were the church at Laodicea. But I just glanced at it again, and I'm thinking the JWs are Philadelphia. "Your strength, I know, is small, yet you have observed my commands and have not disowned my name." (Revelation 3:8-9) The Hebrew letters for God are YHVH (Yod-Hey-Vav-Hey) which translates to "Jehovah" in English.

The church at Smyrna is definitely African-Americans (descendants of slaves). I haven't figured out who the others are yet.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So prior to 1970 cigarettes were healthy? Who knew??!!

If not abused probably were much better. Poisions are NEVER any good. Many claim its the Chemo that kills one-not the cancer.( paying to be poisioned when you are already sick in a way.)- There are other ways.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
So apparently.... my post stands as accurate on JW true teachings. Thank You. You did not have to correct a thing. Yes I heard exactly what you posted as JW entirely will use exactly what they are to post on things in general.

Most Protestant Churches teach a Millennial reign of Christ to come. King David was a earthly King and so was his throne. No verse says David or his Throne especially. Was taken up to heaven. Just because Jesus is seen to literally return for HIS Millennial Reign on earth. Doesn't destroy anyone Faith through and in Christ.

*** How about Judge Rutherford era leading Watchtower and utilizing the term Jehovah Witnesses..... yet HE TAUGHT THE OLD TESTEMENT PROPHETS WOULD LITERALLY RETURN TO EARTH. That expectation was maintained with a final prediction on it .... by 1925. Then it just stopped as it WAS FALSE PROPHECY.

Once things are in GOD'S TIMING and in Heaven. Man need not claim to know every detail GOD KNÔWING THE DETAILS IS SUFFICIANT..... not teaching MAN MUST claim only 144,000 humans period .... only ever go to heaven as Watchtower teaches that.

In Faith .... our calling is to overcome evil and Satan's influence AS OUR PRIME DIRECTIVE. GOD HOLDS THE DETILS AND TIMINGS. It's MAN'S reasoning to see this 144,000 .... are the Old Testament Prophets, the Apostles to Watchtower leaders thru the decades and chosen rest from JWs .... as only they have truth (according to JW books). NOTHING TO DO WITH GODS ORIGINAL CHOSEN PEOPLE (Jews etc.)..... but JWs ARE TRUE ISRAEL TODAY and since anything of Church is APÔSTATE Christendom to JWs ..... as unworthy in Apostasy. JW books .... teach the CHURCH IS ALREADY JUDGED AND CONDEMNED. They never tell you that outright. Very subtle in the attempt at converting you.

JWs should not even be in these WÔRLDLY forums .... Watchtower declared as the internet became a standard in our lives. At first it was embraced to teach. But they soon learned.... their followers all could learn things that could corrupt them to seeing Watchtower was the ONLY TRUTH PERIOD TODAY on earth God reveals and speaks. Watchtower then FORBID THE INTERNET for JWs but for necessary documentation for school and work skills. NOT PLAY OR AMONG THE WORLD OF THINGS.

So obedient JWs ... would NEVER REVEAL being on here to others, as they are not to be on the internet among the worldly things ....

No one should believe JWs see them as FELLOW FOLLOWERS IN AND THRU CHRIST. Despite our differences. THER BOOKS ARE CLEAR.... On Jesus and Jehovah and TRUE RELIGION as they call it ... ONLY THEY ARE IN. Most Churches call it TRUE FAITH THRU JUSUS THE CHRIST and we STILL CAN UNITE IN CHRIST as there is ONE FAITH. But JWs are taught that IT ALL IS ONLY THEM TODAY.... all documented in their books for them.

No other group .... documented there own evolution and changing doctrines or numerous predictions.... as the JW Organization from origins in the 1870s to today.
There is no linage before ... but thru the Church to Christ. Small flocks.... for 1900 years before the, just isn't sufficient. Especially, since the Bible was assembled thru the early Church and books chosen for old and new testament. JWs still use.

Basically, nothing else for me to post or seen as being rude. So this is my final post on it here.

Yes errors were made. There were many false teachings in place by the religion that came out of Rome and never fixed by one of its branches. Not until these last days( Daniel) 12:4- did truth come back to the earth. At the proper time( when God willed) truths were revealed through these teachers who Jesus appointed here in these last days( Matthew24:45).
In the early years-error filled trinity translations were all that was available, yes they made errors. But after years of many men studying old writings, history, languages and the bible( different ones)-- corrected the errors found teaching 2 different Gods in every trinity translation. They corrected many errors through the years, their own and the others.( At the proper time.) Facts and the teachings of Jesus show clearly-The Father is the only true God-YHVH(Jehovah)--This is the bottom line reality of it all John 4:22-24)--You speak of 100 years ago--Its 2018. The light is very bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity