Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:23 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Jehovah Witnesses are not part of the 144,000. And nowhere close to being the great multitude?

Is that from the book-Jerwade 14:7? I will believe Jesus.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Jehovah Witnesses are not part of the 144,000. And nowhere close to being the great multitude?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Is that from the book-Jerwade 14:7? I will believe Jesus.
No, it's merely a fact.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:01 PM

154 posts, read 74,824 times
Where is this thread going after the initial OP??? For example what happened with the failed predictions and how did JW deal with it, and how did the magazines Awake and Watchtower deal with them?

Old 07-16-2018, 05:13 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
Watchtower placed blame on those who "ran ahead of Jehovah's organization" and were "presumptuous" in concluding the end times would arrive by certain dates. Many JWs still believe that it was just a few rogue believers who waited on specific Armaggedon predictions. When, in fact, Watchtower/Awake literature created that expectation. After '75, the guilt tripping began.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:40 AM

But the Watchtower itself discussed the predictions over the years. How did it address Rutherford's mistaken predictions or his changes of Russell's predictions?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:47 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Watchtower placed blame on those who "ran ahead of Jehovah's organization" and were "presumptuous" in concluding the end times would arrive by certain dates. Many JWs still believe that it was just a few rogue believers who waited on specific Armaggedon predictions. When, in fact, Watchtower/Awake literature created that expectation. After '75, the guilt tripping began.

A pure lack of understanding of how God works it= Matt 24:45--Jesus appointed his -REAL- teachers here in these last days, to give food( spiritual) at the proper time( = When God wills a truth known, not before. Thus no mortal on earth knew those truths prior to Gods revealing of them, His own angels desired to know them as well( 1Peter 1:12). But God has promised because of those appointed teachers, truth would become abundant on earth here in these last days( Daniel 12:1)How??? By making corrections to false teachings handed down over the centuries( and yes they made errors as well because it wasn't the proper time.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvduv View Post
I am getting back to the thread subject. In terms of classification as a cult perhaps by virtue of seeking to keep the followers within the fold, it doesn't seem that the JW are more in that situation than other groups. And of course the JW have features that resemble the Catholic Church as well (central ideological control).
Other aspects such as secrecy seemed to be more prevalent among the Mormons who have secret rituals and who don't even reveal financial records for tithing to their members.

Perhaps a better description of JW is "eccentric." That seems to me to be more appropriate. Perhaps even "very eccentric." It seems to me it would be awfully difficult to describe a sect composed of millions of people worldwide as a cult which corresponds to Branch Davidians or some Far Eastern neo-Hindu sect. Thus my tentative view is that the hostility towards the JW more than other groups is probably exaggerated and overblown, even if they are very eccentric. ;-)

As a former Catholic and now a JW I was familiar with the objections and preconceived ideas that people have about JWs. I would advise people to be wary about the information that is out there. Misrepresentations can have a measure of truth. But in the end misrepresentations are just that, misrepresentations. In like manner, a lie may contain a measure of truth but in the end it's a lie.

JWs are not a cult. In fact, my family has benefited from a commitment to teachings that eschew what many would consider acceptable behavior. The result has been avoiding teen pregnancies,avoiding drug use, moderate alcohol consumption, honesty at work and keeping away from divisive politics and social controversies of the day.

There are no secret rituals. As a former Catholic accustomed to the pageantry, rituals and opulent churches that evoked an emotional response, I initially found the meetings ordinary. The places of worship clean but plain and devoid of idols, statues, etc. However, I found it extremely refreshing to be taught directly from the Bible among people who on the whole made you feel welcome.

As a JW there is an expectation that one actively participate and take one's commitments seriously and apply those commitments in all aspects of life. Before you reach the point of baptism each individual is made fully aware of what the expectations are and what is the Biblical basis for the various teachings that JWs adhere to.

Part of the challenge for JWs is how to live life as one believes is right while attempting to peacefully coexist in a modern world which increasingly has the thinking that if you don't support us or our views then you must be against us or you must be extreme or eccentric.

Last edited by hd4me; 07-17-2018 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: .

Old 07-17-2018, 11:18 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Part of the challenge for JWs is how to live life as one believes is right while attempting to peacefully coexist in a modern world which increasingly has the thinking that if you don't support us or our views then you must be against us or you must be extreme or eccentric.

Your whole post was great, but this part really resonated. I have JWs in my family, and while they aren't perfect, they definitely behave better than the Protestants. People think disfellowship is mean, but it comes straight from Torah. God didn't want his people mixing outside their group because they'd be in danger of adopting the ways of secular society. It wasn't about shunning - it was about keeping the laws and customs and not allowing "unclean" people in the ranks who'd pull you off the path. It was basically tough love. Not something to be done out of malice.

JWs get such a bad rep, which is crazy because they are very peaceful. But I think that's partly because they are more upright than others. It's a form of persecution.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:53 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Why would I ever want to hear their side of the story? Do we need to go through thousands of religions listening to different opinions to know the Truth?

Truth is absolute. Two differing conclusions about Jesus cannot both be right. If you are wrong about Him, it doesn’t matter what you are right about

I agree. Two differing conclusion about Jesus cannot both be right

Jesus taught truths about himself regardless of what others teach about him:

John 14:28, "You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away, and I am coming to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I.

John 20:17, "Jesus said to her, “Do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

What's interesting is Jesus was addressing Jews (no Christians at this time) in these Scriptures.

Jews believed in One Almighty God (Deuteronomy 6:4) and to this day believe in the One God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jews also had a name for him YHWH (Psalm 83:18) transliterated into English as Yahweh or Jehovah.

Now if Jesus was telling his fellow Jews that God was greater than him yet witholding or keeping secret that he was in fact God it would nullify what is written in 1 Peter 2:22, "“He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:41 AM

But don't JW also have to address the fact of the changing beliefs and failed predictions that have existed and are the basis of their religion?
And by eccentric I was thinking of some of the aspects such as opposition to transfusions that emerged out if nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.