Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

Personally I consider myself a follower of Jesus Christ, but I have strong objections to the idea of an "official" canon of books which are considered to be "inspired".

Because if you accept the Roman church's official canon, or the Protestant canon, then you are actually putting your faith in a human organization.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 05:42 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Personally I consider myself a follower of Jesus Christ, but I have strong objections to the idea of an "official" canon of books which are considered to be "inspired".

Because if you accept the Roman church's official canon, or the Protestant canon, then you are actually putting your faith in a human organization.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Yes, I do.

Christians need to be aware of the ever-present potential of organized religion to divert or corrupt the core directive. The canon is useful, but one must always be cognizant of its human origin.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:23 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I do.

Christians need to be aware of the ever-present potential of organized religion to divert or corrupt the core directive. The canon is useful, but one must always be cognizant of its human origin.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Yes, it is a good thing to be aware of the history of both the canon and of the early church to see what influences had bearing on the two (not entirely distinct) developments.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
You’re more than welcome to examine all the other books written about Jesus and determine for yourself which ones you believe to be inspired. Or you can trust the judgement of thousands of theologians who spent most of their lives researching the matter. I prefer the latter. I can’t imagine what nefarious intention they would have of trying to mislead me.

The books chosen for the bible (among the many available) were determined to have some connection with the apostles, either written by an apostle or someone close to the apostles. Paul was considered chosen by Christ after the Resurection. The Catholic Church is an apostolic church, following Christ theough the teachings of the apostles.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:18 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Still not quite sure what a canon is. But I picked up the Lost Books of the Bible over the weekend. I have not started reading it in full. For some reason I feel weird about reading the lost books before the regular Bible books. But my overview of what I read tells me this stuff should def be a part of the Bible. Lots of info about Jesus (that I haven't yet read). Might answer some of the non-believers questions about his story. The book about Mary definitely coincides with what's in the Quran. Funny enough...it supports my theory that she was from Levi and Jesus was NOT from Judah. I had no idea these books even exited prior to this past weekend. See how God answers questions?? Read the scriptures, folks.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You’re more than welcome to examine all the other books written about Jesus and determine for yourself which ones you believe to be inspired. Or you can trust the judgement of thousands of theologians who spent most of their lives researching the matter. I prefer the latter. I can’t imagine what nefarious intention they would have of trying to mislead me.

The books chosen for the bible (among the many available) were determined to have some connection with the apostles, either written by an apostle or someone close to the apostles. Paul was considered chosen by Christ after the Resurection. The Catholic Church is an apostolic church, following Christ theough the teachings of the apostles.
...who were all part of human organizations.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
...who were all part of human organizations.
And your point is? You expect angels to come down from heaven to tell you which books to read?

Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
A biased view is not necessarily criminal or wicked, but it can be misleading.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Is there a canon of scripture for followers of Jesus Christ?

The rule or measuring stick should be one of love and compassion for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity