Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 01:18 PM

63,970 posts, read 40,253,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Then you should have no difficulty doing so for your lgbtq family. All you need to do is realize your prejudice is wrong.

Quote:
I think he is trying to argue that evil people use the Bible to support their evil ideas and actions.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:22 PM

952 posts, read 325,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And yet, 66% of all prison inmates in the US of A identify as Christians.
The pattern continues.
The metro Chicago area being the murder capitol of the country as well as being a progressive and anti-fundie stronghold draws it's local prison population from the overwhelmingly progressive non-theist Chicago area.
The result for local minority LGBTQ prisoner population is much the same as it is in that other bastion of northern progressive theology NYC , brutal & deadly as former inmate Gabriel Guzman can attest to :

https://progressive.org/dispatches/&...es-tell-of-ab/

The need to institute a fundie prisoner exchange program , importing bible thumping fundie prisoners
from the southern bible belt prisons were the remarkable " 66%" fundie prison population greatly reduces the violence against the LGBTQ prison population to the progressive northern prisons where violence and death to the LGBTQ prisoners is an everyday occurrence at the hands of the violent majority Non-theist progressive type northern prisoners .
Lets hope they start a program soon .
Good lookin out , Trout Dude , pcamps , Wardendresden, Mighty Queen !

Old 09-01-2019, 01:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I will never cheer for my sister, brother, mother, father, or anyone to engage in a behavior that is wrong, immoral, or damaging to them or anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It is not up to you to decide, nor for you to pass-out your so called moral judgments. What you are being asked to do is accept people for the way they are born, especially, if it is not harming them or anyone else. And, give them the same right or benefits that you (yourself) want. The laws are predicated on equality, not on your religious convictions, so stop trying to convict other people, while hiding behind the bible and your own moral stance and that of discriminating against those not born the same way you were. And saying this does not make me a hateful person, but many of your replies are just ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That statement there is a moral statement. I reject your subjective morality.

But for the record, I will correct your malicious lying statement and say, for the record, that I do not approve of anyone being mistreated or discriminated against. Why do you have to be so intolerant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Let me ask you a question - is it objectively true that lying is always immoral?
If so, then telling the truth would be the moral thing to do - is that correct?
What say you, Baptist?

Old 09-01-2019, 01:49 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Quote:
I think he is trying to argue that evil people use the Bible to support their evil ideas and actions.
No idea how you got that from a post which said nothing about evil people. Well, it looks like no one knows what the heck he is talking about. It happens when you invent stuff like "worshipping the bible".

Old 09-01-2019, 04:24 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,611,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Probably more then 66% identify as Christian, but such 'identification" can be meaningless because in many cases is nothing more than a cultural thing, and they'll be the first to admit it.
Would you believe them if they said they were Muslim or Jewish?

Old 09-01-2019, 04:31 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,758,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The more I think about it and the more I read from the other side, here are the reasons for Christians to not be welcoming of those within the LGBTQ community.

~ Latent homosexuality. A latent thing going on that must be tightly controlled by stoking up fear that an absolute angry God will smote anyone that dallies in this direction. Fear within their own mind is not enough. Others must share it. Seeing Christians that don't have a problem with homosexuality and are accepting become the worst of enemies, worse than non believers. They chip away at the tightly constructed defensive wall and that must be guarded at all costs.
Really, we are going there again? It's one of the most ridiculous arguments. Rewind back to the 1990s and there was overwhelming support for the Defense of Marriage Act. You really going to claim that the vast majority of Americans back there were closet gay people? Even today, I am quite confident that if you polled business owners in America, most of them would say they would feel uncomfortable with same sex couples kissing and being affectionate in their business. It has nothing to do with latent homosexuality.

Quote:

~ Fear of what others think. They are around enough people with power or position or sway in their lives or communities that think like those I mention above that they fear the wrath and rejection of not toeing the line. Many times this subset is conflicted as they love and care for people and have true empathy, but the thought of going against the hierarchy within their religious world is too scary to follow thru with what the heart says. Side note: independent groups often have the most rigid hierarchy.

Well there is a fear of consequences if you don't accept homosexuality.

Quote:

~ Control of their offspring. The idea that children can go outside the established family culture is something all parents deal with. This crosses the line into race, creed, education, professions, i.e., but is heightened here because a heterosexual couple needs to have heterosexual children that produce heterosexual grandchildren. This subset can be like those above, have a heart to love and accept no matter what, but fear of those that hold power and being accepted in the group can cloud that inner love that is from God.

I understand it cause I walked in a less legalistic circle than this, but still on this subject, the thoughts were often the same. I always had a heart to accept but the party line said don't. How freeing to know both the Spirit of God and even the scriptures themselves (that had previously been used as the hammer to prove the above mindset) are the foundation of why I can let that discriminatory thinking go.

How freeing is the Word and the Spirit!

There is no freedom in sin. What good can come from light fellow shipping with the darkness? NONE. The Bible is crystal clear that homosexuality is sin and against nature. The fact that the pro-gay people are just so offended and angry if we dare not support their immoral behavior only serves to prove even more that it is sin! Darkness hates the light. It is the exact reaction expected when you tell someone that they are living in sin and they have no desire to change.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I think he is trying to argue the Bible is evil.
Quote:
Quote:
No idea how you got that from a post which said nothing about evil people. Well, it looks like no one knows what the heck he is talking about. It happens when you invent stuff like "worshiping the bible".
The bible is harmless, so it only stands to reason that it is about people.
It would be ridiculous to believe it was about papyrus (paper and ink)?

Old 09-01-2019, 04:40 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,611,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Really, we are going there again? It's one of the most ridiculous arguments. Rewind back to the 1990s and there was overwhelming support for the Defense of Marriage Act. You really going to claim that the vast majority of Americans back there were closet gay people? Even today, I am quite confident that if you polled business owners in America, most of them would say they would feel uncomfortable with same sex couples kissing and being affectionate in their business. It has nothing to do with latent homosexuality.
What does a business owner being uncomfortable with a same-sex couple kissing in their business have to do with rights? What does it matter if a Southern business owner was uncomfortable with a black couple even coming into their store 40 years ago?

All that matters is human rights. Period. Your discomfort, or my discomfort, or a business owner's discomfort is irrelevant.

Quote:
There is no freedom in sin. What good can come from light fellow shipping with the darkness? NONE. The Bible is crystal clear that homosexuality is sin and against nature. The fact that the pro-gay people are just so offended and angry if we dare not support their immoral behavior only serves to prove even more that it is sin! Darkness hates the light. It is the exact reaction expected when you tell someone that they are living in sin and they have no desire to change.
The bible better tell all those homosexual animal pairs how "unnatrual" they are. I suspect the bible just was not that clear on that.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Well there is a fear of consequences if you don't accept homosexuality.

So, it boils down to public displays of affection and what you consider as acceptable?
It sounds like you are the one who is angry, after all, you are the one that's offended.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:02 PM

846 posts, read 611,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I would like to thank Kjoe once again for demonstrating the moral vacuity and absence of intellect which characterizes the American Christian fundie.
Many on this forum spread false Christian information. And the only reason that I visit this cesspool of thought and philosophy on this board is that there may be just one person who gives pause. They may realize that perhaps that the Lord is not ok with their sin and serious repercussions may be waiting for them after their death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity