Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2019, 09:42 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post

I may be radically changing the topic. But for me it was an earthquake of a paradigm shift that perhaps scares fundentalsists, namely, the Bible is not absolutely right about everything. Or we are not right in how we have understood the Bible. For people who love the Bible and make it their absolute authority ( despite all the competing denominational interpretations and individual ones ) they take solace in it. I love the Bible, believe it's the inspired Word of God. Believe it is useful in teaching about God and morality. I believe it transmits the message of God perfectly. Yet, I don't believe every statement in it is 100 percent correct in the sense that many hold. So perhaps when we assert what we assert that people are single out one group of sinners for sharper rebuke over other sinners, it shatters their worldview. Maybe Christians are not being merciful and bringing grace to others with their attitudes. That news needs to be denied . Fanatacism is just overcompensated doubt
You could not have said that any better .

Old 10-05-2019, 10:33 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
God is not punishing you, your body has changed over thousands of years and now this is what you are.

A thousand years ago, you married somebody and had a new you, and it has evolved each time there was a new you, it's humanity, the human condition, fact is, you are dying, we are all dying.
Well, thanks. No wonder I am am so tired, lol.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:46 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Saintmark, you are a very reasonable minded man and a great asset to this forum.
And the moment he did not support homosexuality, you would be saying the opposite about him. The back patting and high fiving here is so transparent.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:01 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And the moment he did not support homosexuality, you would be saying the opposite about him. The back patting and high fiving here is so transparent.
Poor, sad, jealous fundie.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:13 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:

I may be radically changing the topic. But for me it was an earthquake of a paradigm shift that perhaps scares fundentalsists, namely, the Bible is not absolutely right about everything. Or we are not right in how we have understood the Bible. For people who love the Bible and make it their absolute authority ( despite all the competing denominational interpretations and individual ones ) they take solace in it. I love the Bible, believe it's the inspired Word of God. Believe it is useful in teaching about God and morality. I believe it transmits the message of God perfectly. Yet, I don't believe every statement in it is 100 percent correct in the sense that many hold. So perhaps when we assert what we assert that people are single out one group of sinners for sharper rebuke over other sinners, it shatters their worldview. Maybe Christians are not being merciful and bringing grace to others with their attitudes. That news needs to be denied . Fanatacism is just overcompensated doubt
I have no problem holding to the complete authenticity of the bible in that God is big enough to have the bible He wants me to have in my hands. However, the supreme one whom the bible points us to existed in his fullness before a single scripture was carved in a tablet or written on a scroll. He is supreme over the scripture.

The scripture is deeper than our human minds can comprehend. I hold its truth in extreme awe and revere it, but I do not worship it. I cannot begin to understand its complexity in full, but I can know the one whom it points to. The gospel is in the whole book from start to finish, whether it is documenting an ancient people and their foibles or prophesying what is to come. I know God can speak to me through any of it. I can go online and see dozens and dozens of different translations to strain gnats if need be.

My main beef with Christians and the bible is formulating a doctrine first and then finding proof texts to back that up. I continually work to divorce my own prejudice from what it is saying. It is a lifetime exercise and should be for all.

The problem is man and his interpretation of it. That is definitely NOT infallible. Why the scripture in the hand of one not led by the Spirit can bludgeon. At the very heart of why we are here on this thread discussing.

Great post once again, glad you are here.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 10-05-2019 at 11:21 AM..

Old 10-05-2019, 11:25 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I have no problem holding to the complete authenticity of the bible in that God is big enough to have the bible He wants me to have in my hands. However, the supreme one whom the bible points us to existed in his fullness before a single scripture was carved in a tablet or written on a scroll. He is supreme over the scripture.

The scripture is deeper than our human minds can comprehend. I hold its truth in extreme awe and revere it, but I do not worship it. I cannot begin to understand its complexity in full, but I can know the one whom it points to. The gospel is in the whole book from start to finish, whether it is documenting an ancient people and their foibles or prophesying what is to come. I know God can speak to me through any of it. I can go online and see dozens and dozens of different translations to strain gnats if need be.

My main beef with Christians and the bible is formulating a doctrine first and then finding proof texts to back that up. I continually work to divorce my own prejudice from what it is saying. It is a lifetime exercise and should be for all.

The problem is man and his interpretation of it. That is definitely NOT infallible. Why the scripture in the hand of one not led by the Spirit can bludgeon. At the very heart of why we are here on this thread discussing.

Great post once again, glad you are here.
Thanks. Fundamentalist have it backwards. They think the Bible came first and then the Church and then doctrine. When the Church then liturgy then the Bible. That is there error and the beginning of holding the bible as their absolute authority.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:57 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Thanks. Fundamentalist have it backwards. They think the Bible came first and then the Church and then doctrine. When the Church then liturgy then the Bible. That is there error and the beginning of holding the bible as their absolute authority.
Who believes that? I don't know anyone that thinks that.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
They do? I am beginning to think I have never actually met a fundamantalist, except the atheist type (like some here).

Old 10-05-2019, 12:08 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They do? I am beginning to think I have never actually met a fundamantalist, except the atheist type, like some here.
I think they've made up this class they call "Fundie". It has nothing to do with reality. I think they're like unicorns, or the tooth fairy. Just figments of their imagination.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:10 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Who believes that? I don't know anyone that thinks that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They do? I am beginning to think I have never actually met a fundamantalist, except the atheist type, like some here.
Here is your big flaw guys. Again taking literally when the meaning is clear in a word picture. He obviously meant in importance, what one weighs as most important, then secondary to that, then third, etc. Not on a chronological timeline, but comparing the weight you give each to a chronological timeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity