Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:56 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Proverbs 29:18 "Where there is no vision, the people perish"

I've seen people say church attendance is down....I've heard horror stories of people being rejected by Christians for trivial things or exiling people for things that no one should be exiled for...

We must have a better vision for our churches and meeting houses.

As Christians all of us represent Jesus with everything we do...and if we do things that aren't based on the love of Jesus it reflects poorly on Christianity.

We must work hard at what we do...we must seek out service opportunities...we must love all and do our best.

-Don't exile people for being LGBTQ, atheist, etc...they are God's children and loved equally by God as he loves you, period.

-If someone looks like they might need help pay for their groceries and say "Jesus would want me to"...so they see the positive connection.

-Donate time at charity and when people thank you for helping say it is Jesus calling you to do it.

-If someone insults you...try to turn the other cheek and say "God loves you and we are all one."

-Go to a retirement home and play bingo, listen to stories and wear a cross necklace...I don't have a fancy one, but I have a sentimental one that is a little wood cross on a white string.

-At your meeting house or church say all are welcome...of all types...and beliefs...say we are all one. If someone isn't welcoming them simply ask that person "What would Jesus do?"

-Avoid politics within religion and state that God loves all regardless of political affiliation.

-Let people cut you in line if you aren't in a rush and say "God bless you."

-Bake someone cookies and when you give them to them say "Jesus loves you."

-Do a missionary trip overseas...in the name of Jesus.

-When someone is down...try to brighten their day and remind them that God is still with them.

We can do better...guys we really can...! We can move forward and search our own inner hearts to see Jesus truly wants us to love all and help all.

LOVE...Jesus is LOVE....Love is caring enough to do good deeds for ALL...... We need to be more like Jesus.
1. That verse of vision you used is way out of context. The passage in the Bible actually refers to the people in the land not having a prophet of God to declare God's Law. So it's saying where people don't follow God, they perish. That's kind of a reverse to what you're actually saying in this post.

2. Did you know the first century Christians were called atheists because they didn't believe in the Greek and Roman gods? And they didn't participate in the Caesar worship? They weren't atheists, of course, but from the perspective of the non-Christians, they were.

Along that line, it's interesting when people accuse Christians of being unloving because we don't endorse the culture's sins. It really sounds empty to say that.

Having said that, I'll agree that we need to stay out of the politics. I cringe when I hear any politician mentioned in church, no matter which way he/she leans politically.

And finally, yes--there are a lot of folks that claim the name of Christ that obviously don't care what Jesus taught, nor do they care to follow him in practice. I'm sorry for that. I really am. I can't control that. This forum has explicit rules forbidding us from saying someone isn't a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 09:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Awesome, Miss Baker!!! xxoo

Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
If we really want to show love for them we need to tell them they are sinners and will go to hell with forgiveness from Jesus which is given to all who believe in Jesus. After all, in the great commission Jesus told his church to make disciples by baptizing them and teaching them all things, whatsoever Jesus had taught them. So it sounds like its more important for Christians to be teaching the New Testament.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:52 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Awesome, Miss Baker!!! xx
Ditto!

Old 08-26-2019, 06:39 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I believe that was done a long time ago, ...and there is no distinction or difference between men. But the religious mindset and hierarchy had to hold onto their doctrines of having special revelation; separating and dividing humanity in order to control the masses of the people, using fear as a motivator or stimulus.
You are incorrect.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:47 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
If we really want to show love for them we need to tell them they are sinners and will go to hell with forgiveness from Jesus which is given to all who believe in Jesus. After all, in the great commission Jesus told his church to make disciples by baptizing them and teaching them all things, whatsoever Jesus had taught them. So it sounds like its more important for Christians to be teaching the New Testament.
I don't think Scripture supports the approach that tells them who they are and where they will go. It's true what you said, but I don't think Jesus ever used it, Paul never taught others to use that as an approach to win others to Christ. In fact, the one instance I can remember Jesus highlighting sin and hell was in John 8 with the Pharisees - not exactly an evangelistic encounter.

I think the emphasis is to be on us doing good deeds and displaying the fruit of the Holy Spirit for unbelievers to pick and taste... and also to highlight the love of God and the death/resurrection of Christ which leads to faith in Jesus.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I think the emphasis is to be on us doing good deeds and displaying the fruit of the Holy Spirit for unbelievers to pick and taste... and also to highlight the love of God and the death/resurrection of Christ which leads to faith in Jesus.
Thank you for writing it out for others to see in black and white. But here, I'll put it in blue, too.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:40 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't think Scripture supports the approach that tells them who they are and where they will go. It's true what you said, but I don't think Jesus ever used it, Paul never taught others to use that as an approach to win others to Christ. In fact, the one instance I can remember Jesus highlighting sin and hell was in John 8 with the Pharisees - not exactly an evangelistic encounter.

Some people need to hear “For the wages of sin is death...” but most need to hear (see) “For God so loved the world...”.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:48 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Proverbs 29:18 "Where there is no vision, the people perish"

I've seen people say church attendance is down....I've heard horror stories of people being rejected by Christians for trivial things or exiling people for things that no one should be exiled for...

We must have a better vision for our churches and meeting houses.

As Christians all of us represent Jesus with everything we do...and if we do things that aren't based on the love of Jesus it reflects poorly on Christianity.

We must work hard at what we do...we must seek out service opportunities...we must love all and do our best.

-Don't exile people for being LGBTQ, atheist, etc...they are God's children and loved equally by God as he loves you, period.

-If someone looks like they might need help pay for their groceries and say "Jesus would want me to"...so they see the positive connection.

-Donate time at charity and when people thank you for helping say it is Jesus calling you to do it.

-If someone insults you...try to turn the other cheek and say "God loves you and we are all one."

-Go to a retirement home and play bingo, listen to stories and wear a cross necklace...I don't have a fancy one, but I have a sentimental one that is a little wood cross on a white string.

-At your meeting house or church say all are welcome...of all types...and beliefs...say we are all one. If someone isn't welcoming them simply ask that person "What would Jesus do?"

-Avoid politics within religion and state that God loves all regardless of political affiliation.

-Let people cut you in line if you aren't in a rush and say "God bless you."

-Bake someone cookies and when you give them to them say "Jesus loves you."

-Do a missionary trip overseas...in the name of Jesus.

-When someone is down...try to brighten their day and remind them that God is still with them.

We can do better...guys we really can...! We can move forward and search our own inner hearts to see Jesus truly wants us to love all and help all.

LOVE...Jesus is LOVE....Love is caring enough to do good deeds for ALL...... We need to be more like Jesus.
You have a beautiful vision, QuakerBaker!

Old 08-26-2019, 10:11 AM

11,065 posts, read 7,139,669 times
It's not a crisis in "culture"; it's a crisis with the entire foundation. Christianity doesn't even need a certain "culture".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity