Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 03:10 PM

1,764 posts, read 765,977 times

Advertisements

Proverbs 29:18 "Where there is no vision, the people perish"

I've seen people say church attendance is down....I've heard horror stories of people being rejected by Christians for trivial things or exiling people for things that no one should be exiled for...

We must have a better vision for our churches and meeting houses.

As Christians all of us represent Jesus with everything we do...and if we do things that aren't based on the love of Jesus it reflects poorly on Christianity.

We must work hard at what we do...we must seek out service opportunities...we must love all and do our best.

-Don't exile people for being LGBTQ, atheist, etc...they are God's children and loved equally by God as he loves you, period.

-If someone looks like they might need help pay for their groceries and say "Jesus would want me to"...so they see the positive connection.

-Donate time at charity and when people thank you for helping say it is Jesus calling you to do it.

-If someone insults you...try to turn the other cheek and say "God loves you and we are all one."

-Go to a retirement home and play bingo, listen to stories and wear a cross necklace...I don't have a fancy one, but I have a sentimental one that is a little wood cross on a white string.

-At your meeting house or church say all are welcome...of all types...and beliefs...say we are all one. If someone isn't welcoming them simply ask that person "What would Jesus do?"

-Avoid politics within religion and state that God loves all regardless of political affiliation.

-Let people cut you in line if you aren't in a rush and say "God bless you."

-Bake someone cookies and when you give them to them say "Jesus loves you."

-Do a missionary trip overseas...in the name of Jesus.

-When someone is down...try to brighten their day and remind them that God is still with them.

We can do better...guys we really can...! We can move forward and search our own inner hearts to see Jesus truly wants us to love all and help all.

LOVE...Jesus is LOVE....Love is caring enough to do good deeds for ALL...... We need to be more like Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:39 PM

10,506 posts, read 7,080,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

I've seen people say church attendance is down....I've heard horror stories of people being rejected by Christians for trivial things or exiling people for things that no one should be exiled for...

We must have a better vision for our churches and meeting houses.

As Christians all of us represent Jesus with everything we do...and if we do things that aren't based on the love of Jesus it reflects poorly on Christianity.

We must work hard at what we do...we must seek out service opportunities...we must love all and do our best.

-Don't exile people for being LGBTQ, atheist, etc...they are God's children and loved equally by God as he loves you, period.

-If someone looks like they might need help pay for their groceries and say "Jesus would want me to"...so they see the positive connection.

-Donate time at charity and when people thank you for helping say it is Jesus calling you to do it.

-If someone insults you...try to turn the other cheek and say "God loves you and we are all one."

-Go to a retirement home and play bingo, listen to stories and wear a cross necklace...I don't have a fancy one, but I have a sentimental one that is a little wood cross on a white string.

-At your meeting house or church say all are welcome...of all types...and beliefs...say we are all one. If someone isn't welcoming them simply ask that person "What would Jesus do?"

-Avoid politics within religion and state that God loves all regardless of political affiliation.

-Let people cut you in line if you aren't in a rush and say "God bless you."

-Bake someone cookies and when you give them to them say "Jesus loves you."

-Do a missionary trip overseas...in the name of Jesus.

-When someone is down...try to brighten their day and remind them that God is still with them.

We can do better...guys we really can...! We can move forward and search our own inner hearts to see Jesus truly wants us to love all and help all.

LOVE...Jesus is LOVE....Love is caring enough to do good deeds for ALL...... We need to be more like Jesus.

You're absolutely right. I agree with you on just about everything you've written with the sole exception of mission trips. Not that we shouldn't spread the Word of God out in the world. Instead, mission trips have come under legitimate question as being actually harmful. Better to do good in your own city than to travel somewhere else where one does not know the language, culture, or anything else.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:09 PM

952 posts, read 325,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

[/b]
How do you know they are "Christians" ?

Old 08-25-2019, 04:10 PM

45,724 posts, read 27,340,900 times
Titus 3 is a good section on how we should interact in the world. It gives us 4 things to remember and one main thing to avoid.

Remember your duty - submit to human authorities (in most cases), do good deeds, malign no one, be peaceable. (1-2)
Remember your past - we are just like them except for God revealing Himself to us. (3)
Remember your salvation - recognizing what God did for us (not what we did for Him). (4-7)
Remember your mission - saving souls for eternity. (8)

Avoid those who are contentious and seek to deceive (9-11)

Old 08-25-2019, 04:27 PM

11,921 posts, read 3,744,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You're absolutely right. I agree with you on just about everything you've written with the sole exception of mission trips. Not that we shouldn't spread the Word of God out in the world. Instead, mission trips have come under legitimate question as being actually harmful. Better to do good in your own city than to travel somewhere else where one does not know the language, culture, or anything else.
I agree in essence but it all depends on the motivation, where people are turned off to religion is that the “God bless you†becomes trite and people know when it does not reflect the heart of the denomination or person saying it.

I believe that hypocrisy can be a big problem with Christian culture, and fundamentalists of all the religions are clashing, and are reacting to prior injustices that have been done by the Christian “system†that thought they were to Christianise the entire planet by whatever means it took and their influence is what we see, there are a lot of seeds that were sown in the past that are being reaped now

Old 08-25-2019, 04:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,338,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Titus 3 is a good section on how we should interact in the world. It gives us 4 things to remember and one main thing to avoid.

Remember your duty - submit to human authorities (in most cases), do good deeds, malign no one, be peaceable. (1-2)
Remember your past - we are just like them except for God revealing Himself to us. (3)
Remember your salvation - recognizing what God did for us (not what we did for Him). (4-7)

well said. think Christianity has most always been in crisis of some sort somewhere and at some time since the beginning. persecutions by the state, disagreements and outright wars among Christians on matters of belief, wars, plagues, and perhaps more obviously in recent times simply the ignorance, apathy, or hostility of societies and cultures that see little or no use for the teachings and practice of Christianity or for that matter any religion. sadly, more than a little of this may be due to the failure of Christians either individually or corporately to really act Christian (showing kindness, mercy, and love) and so not always being especially good examples of the benefits of being Christian to others. that said, likely Christians (even whey they strive earnestly to live a Christian life) should not expect to be admired or appreciated---St. John said to NOT be surprised if "the world hates you..." as Christians we are charged and expected to return evil with good and pray for those who are against us--so perhaps we should consider these times a great opportunity to be faithful to God and loving and forgiving our neighbor even as we have been loved and forgiven--most especially when the times get tough.

in the peace of Christ.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,252,379 times
You have a good heart QB, and the zeal of youth.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:

The deception is in the "us" and "them" mentality.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:39 PM

45,724 posts, read 27,340,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
... in that you attempt to remove the distinction.

There are in those in the family of God by faith, and those who are not. God wants to bring people from the "them" category into the "us" category through faith in Christ.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
... in that you attempt to remove the distinction.

There are in those in the family of God by faith, and those who are not. God wants to bring people from the "them" category into the "us" category through faith in Christ.
I believe that was done a long time ago, ...and there is no distinction or difference between men. But the religious mindset and hierarchy had to hold onto their doctrines of having special revelation; separating and dividing humanity in order to control the masses of the people, using fear as a motivator or stimulus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity