Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 07:00 AM

16,770 posts, read 15,840,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Sure it is silly maam, that is the point I am trying to make. When people realize that you cannot refute God's people who practice scripture, by scripture, then perhaps they will consider researching it more. There is quite a large number of us who came into the faith trying to prove it was wrong, myself included. I was not raised a Jehovah's witness.

You ignore the fact that many people interpret the Scriptures in different ways. You never seems to accept the fact that other interpretations might be just as good as the one you are being spoon fed.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:01 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,128,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You ignore the fact that many people interpret the Scriptures in different ways. You never seems to accept the fact that other interpretations might be just as good as the one you are being spoon fed.
Wow. Irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 07:04 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,496,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
I did, BF.

Do you, or do you not, believe that women shouldn't hold power within your church?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I would be interested in his own perception and answer, not that of hiding behind his bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
First of all, no one "holds power". The pastor does not "hold power". He's a servant. The fact that you view it in the way you do demonstrates it's a loaded question.
It's a simple question, if you have the ability to reason for yourself? Nothing loaded about it, which sounds dishonest, as you are merely deflecting, or you really can't reason for yourself? This is regarding what you think, not something that has been swallowed, hook, line, and sinker from a bible. So, "Do you, or do you not, believe that women should OR should not hold power (teach men) within your church?" YES OR NO, AND WHY OR WHY NOT?

Last edited by Jerwade; 03-25-2021 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-25-2021, 07:06 AM

16,770 posts, read 15,840,325 times
Quote:
You've certainly made your position known. You don't believe the Bible is God's word, so you are unwilling to submit to the parts you don't like. I get it.

And no, as long as you are not willing to view it as God's Inspired Inerrant Word, then no, we won't likely be able to have an academic conversation regarding it. I can quote it until I'm blue in the face, and you can tell me that I'm wrong until you're blue in the face, but with no common ground to define right/wrong it's pointless.
MQ never said that the Bible isn't God's word. You happen to believe it is God's Inspired Inerrant Word, but you fail to admit that even that requires interpretation, so people read many different things in it. You've said many thing that "that verse means ..." or "you have to understand the contest" so you know that interpretations have to be done, but then you refuse to admit it.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
It's a simple question, if you have the ability to reason for yourself? Nothing loaded about it, which sounds dishonest, as you are merely deflecting, or you really can't reason for yourself? This is regarding what you think, not something that has been swallowed, hook, line, and sinker from a bible. So, "Do you, or do you not, believe that women shouldn't hold power within your church?" YES OR NO, AND WHY?
The Bible says a pastor/elder is to be a man. A deacon is to be a man. A woman should not hold authority or teach. The Bible says that. My opinion of whether or not a woman should preach or teach has no bearing on this discussion.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
MQ never said that the Bible isn't God's word. You happen to believe it is God's Inspired Inerrant Word, but you fail to admit that even that requires interpretation, so people read many different things in it. You've said many thing that "that verse means ..." or "you have to understand the contest" so you know that interpretations have to be done, but then you refuse to admit it.
Yes. We have different ways of wording things. I get it. Thanks for reminding us all.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:15 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,623,626 times
Quote:
The Bible says a pastor/elder is to be a man. A deacon is to be a man. A woman should not hold authority or teach. The Bible says that. My opinion of whether or not a woman should preach or teach has no bearing on this discussion.
It does, however, show you lied a page or so back when you said that ""I've never suggested women are not capable of doing anything a man can do"... You just did. Just now. In the quoted post. You, just like the ancient, ignorant men who wrote the Bible, are sexist. You believe that women are not to hold any authority over men, or be able to teach anything in regard to your religion. It's sad, and pathetic, quite honestly.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:15 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,496,052 times
Quote:
It's a simple question, if you have the ability to reason for yourself? Nothing loaded about it, which sounds dishonest, as you are merely deflecting, or you really can't reason for yourself? This is regarding what you think, not something that has been swallowed, hook, line, and sinker from a bible. So, "Do you, or do you not, believe that women should OR should not hold power (teach men) within your church?" YES OR NO, AND WHY OR WHY NOT?
Quote:
Actually, it does, otherwise there is no discussion?

Old 03-25-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Actually, it does, otherwise there is no discussion?
I believe the Bible to be God's Inspired, Inerrant Word. What it says is what I believe. I will not contradict the Word of God. You disagree? ok. But my position is that I will not go against what God has said.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
It does, however, show you lied a page or so back when you said that ""I've never suggested women are not capable of doing anything a man can do"... You just did. Just now. In the quoted post. You, just like the ancient, ignorant men who wrote the Bible, are sexist. You believe that women are not to hold any authority over men, or be able to teach anything in regard to your religion. It's sad, and pathetic, quite honestly.
Being capable is not the same as being allowed or called to.

I'm sure there are plenty of women that are plenty CAPABLE of giving a speech, or run an organization. In fact, when I think of the top 2-3 managers I've had in my life, they've been women. They were excellent leaders, and very qualified in the positions they were in. But having the skills to manage and speak in public are not the only thing God wants in a pastor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity