Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 12:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Not like that. "Kecharitomene" is only used once in Scripture; and it's used as a proper title, not a descriptor.
You're reading into it. Making a bigger deal out of it than should be.
Quote:

You don't think it's "particularly special" to be asked to bear and raise God Incarnate?
Where was she asked? She was told.
Quote:
How many other women have had God for a son?
She was blessed. No one is denying that.
Quote:
As I explained above, the title given to her was indeed unique and is used nowhere else in Scripture.
It wasn't a title.
Quote:

I'm confused. You asked me for:

I just showed you the Apostle Peter praying to a dead person. He talked to her when she was dead. What more do you want?

He didn't just raise her, he talked to her! What do you think "praying" is other than communicating?

Does my definition of "prayer" not match with yours?
When I say "I pray thee....show me...." Am I praying to you? Or talking?

He talked to her. He didn't pray to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 12:48 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You're reading into it. Making a bigger deal out of it than should be.
What's the "big deal" I'm making out of it? I'm just stating the obvious, that Mary was indeed special.

Quote:
It wasn't a title.
Bible scholars and theologians disagree with you.

Quote:
When I say "I pray thee....show me...." Am I praying to you? Or talking?
You're communicating. The word "prayer" has developed a religious connotation to the point that we don't generally use it anymore when describing face to face conversation; but that's a semantic issue. The way you used the word "I pray thee" is an archaic way of speaking, in which "to pray" could definitely include face to face conversation.

Quote:
He talked to her. He didn't pray to her.
In Catholic parlance, it's the same thing.

Not only did Peter pray to a dead woman, but Paul prayed for a dead man in 2 Timothy 1:18, "may the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day!" The "he" prayed for by Paul is Onesiphorus who had already died.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:16 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,323,729 times
Quote:
What's the "big deal" I'm making out of it? I'm just stating the obvious, that Mary was indeed special.

Bible scholars and theologians disagree with you.

You're communicating. The word "prayer" has developed a religious connotation to the point that we don't generally use it anymore when describing face to face conversation; but that's a semantic issue. The way you used the word "I pray thee" is an archaic way of speaking, in which "to pray" could definitely include face to face conversation.

In Catholic parlance, it's the same thing.

Not only did Peter pray to a dead woman, but Paul prayed for a dead man in 2 Timothy 1:18, "may the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day!" The "he" prayed for by Paul is Onesiphorus who had already died.
Mike, this man Onesiphorus was a born-again Christian who helped Paul many times to get the Gospel out.

The mercy Paul was asking for was not a prayer of salvation, for the righteous have no sin in the sight of God with Christ being the propitiation for any sin.

Paul was asking for mercy at the Judgement Seat of Christ where the rewards are given or not given for what we have done. Paul was just reminding the Lord of what he had done for him and wanted him to receive all the rewards he was worthy of!

As far as Mary, she would tell us the same she told the servants at the wedding party. "Whatever He says, do it!"

Old 08-27-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Mike, this man Onesiphorus was a born-again Christian who helped Paul many times to get the Gospel out.

The mercy Paul was asking for was not a prayer of salvation, for the righteous have no sin in the sight of God with Christ being the propitiation for any sin.

Paul was asking for mercy at the Judgement Seat of Christ where the rewards are given or not given for what we have done. Paul was just reminding the Lord of what he had done for him and wanted him to receive all the rewards he was worthy of!
So we are in agreement that Paul prayed for a dead man.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I wanted to clarify that wish and prayer of Paul was not for salvation, that's all!

If you agree with this, doubtful, then we are in agreeance!

Old 08-27-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I wanted to clarify that wish and prayer of Paul was not for salvation, that's all!

If you agree with this, doubtful, then we are in agreeance!
I agree with you, as a man's eternal fate is sealed at the moment of their death.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:29 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Since the 'dead know nothing', nothing but ' sleep ' -> John 11:11-14; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5 <- then there would be No reason for Paul to pray for a dead person - Romans 6:7,23.
Rather, Paul would look forward to the future resurrection as Luke wrote about at Acts 24:15 that 'there is going to be' (future) a resurrection........

Old 08-27-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
...then there would be No reason for Paul to pray for a dead person -
but he did tho...

Old 08-27-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
but he did tho...
Now we're floating around in that Catholic limbo thing!

I knew you wouldn't agree, even after reading the praise Paul had for this man in his faithfulness.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Now we're floating around in that Catholic limbo thing!

I knew you wouldn't agree, even after reading the praise Paul had for this man in his faithfulness.
I thought we were in agreement that Paul did pray for Onesiphorus...

Now I'm confused...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity