Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 05:44 AM

525 posts, read 348,655 times

Advertisements

CCCyou,
re: "kecharitōmenē ? , and you conclude 'the Messiah's attitude' would be different from God the Fathers'?"

I was merely pointing out what scripture indicates the Messiah's attitude was with regard to Mary. And why do you suppose that none of the New Testament epistle writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit to mention her if she is intended to be such a vital part of the Roman/Latin Rite Catholic religion? And even John's gospel never mentions her when it mentions Mary of Bethany 9 times and Mary Magdalene 5 times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 07:00 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
What's the "big deal" I'm making out of it? I'm just stating the obvious, that Mary was indeed special.

Bible scholars and theologians disagree with you.
Look hard enough and you'll even find ones that think that we have to be forgiven of sins by a priest.
Quote:

You're communicating. The word "prayer" has developed a religious connotation to the point that we don't generally use it anymore when describing face to face conversation; but that's a semantic issue. The way you used the word "I pray thee" is an archaic way of speaking, in which "to pray" could definitely include face to face conversation.
I agree. And that's my point.
Quote:

In Catholic parlance, it's the same thing.
Nonsense.
Quote:
Not only did Peter pray to a dead woman, but Paul prayed for a dead man in 2 Timothy 1:18, "may the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day!" The "he" prayed for by Paul is Onesiphorus who had already died.
No. He did not. He was expressing a hope. Just as a Baptist pastor might say the same thing of any dear departed saint.

You're reading into it.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:39 PM

BaptistFundie,
re: "You're reading into it.

Just like those who read the Sabbath into Romans 14.

Old 08-28-2021, 01:43 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
re: "kecharitōmenē ? , and you conclude 'the Messiah's attitude' would be different from God the Fathers'?"
I was merely pointing out what scripture indicates the Messiah's attitude was with regard to Mary. And why do you suppose that none of the New Testament epistle writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit to mention her if she is intended to be such a vital part of the Roman/Latin Rite Catholic religion? And even John's gospel never mentions her when it mentions Mary of Bethany 9 times and Mary Magdalene 5 times?
Plus, after Jesus was baptized he referred to Mary as ' woman ' - John 2:4; John 19:26 B

Old 08-28-2021, 02:53 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
I was merely pointing out what scripture indicates the Messiah's attitude was with regard to Mary.
Actually the scriptures reveal that Mary is very much Alive in Christ!, as we are called to be.
Your interpretation of the scriptures must be severely flawed if you conclude that Jesus's 'attitude with regard to Mary' differs from God the Father's!

Quote:
And why do you suppose that none of the New Testament epistle writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit to mention her if she is intended to be such a vital part of the Roman/Latin Rite Catholic religion? And even John's gospel never mentions her when it mentions Mary of Bethany 9 times and Mary Magdalene 5 times?
Huh?
Scriptures tells that 'all generations shall call her Blessed'!! ,
and that 'her soul magnifies! (Μεγαλύνει ) The Lord'!!
How could you have possibly missed that??

Old 08-28-2021, 08:34 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Actually the scriptures reveal that Mary is very much Alive in Christ!, as we are called to be.
Your interpretation of the scriptures must be severely flawed if you conclude that Jesus's 'attitude with regard to Mary' differs from God the Father's!

Huh?
Scriptures tells that 'all generations shall call her Blessed'!! ,
That is not in the epistles, to which the poster you quoted specifically referred and which supposedly form the basis of the Church.

The Magnificat is found in the gospel of Luke.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
God thinks enough of Mary that thru her Our Savior is made visible/knowable....
and you conclude 'the Messiah's attitude' would be different from God the Fathers'?

Of course not - at least not in this instance. He simply found a maiden who met His requirements for functioning as a gestation vehicle for His son.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:58 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Of course not - at least not in this instance. He simply found a maiden who met His requirements for functioning as a gestation vehicle for His son.
Yes, sadly that is the position on Mary taught and swallowed whole by Fundies these days.
Not even the Reformers themselves stooped to those lows - see Martin Luther, Calvin, Zwingly... ** below.

This video does a good job of separating Fundie Fiction from Bible Fact on Mary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4tYV6j_k1g

Zwingli: "I esteem immensely the Mother of God" and "The more the honor and love of Christ increases among men, so much the esteem and honor given to Mary should grow".
Martin Luther: "The veneration of Mary is inscribed in the very depths of the human heart."
Calvin: "To this day we cannot enjoy the blessing brought to us in Christ without thinking at the same time of that which God gave as adornment and honour to Mary, in willing her to be the mother of his only-begotten Son."
and dozens more of their quotes at:
https://servantofchrist.tripod.com/b...ther/id20.html
https://preachersinstitute.com/2012/...inity-of-mary/
or a short video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLjvYS2Tekc

Old 11-25-2021, 09:41 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I read the book, then I gave it to my friend (who, by the way, is the person I know who walks the Christian walk more than any other person I've ever met).
You're not the first person I've heard say this or something similar about a Catholic. I'd have to say as well that the most Christ-like people I've ever known have been Catholics.

It's almost like there's something inherent to the Catholic Faith that more profoundly enables one to live a holy life

Old 11-25-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou

Huh?
Scriptures tells that '[I
all generations shall call her Blessed[/i]'!! ,

"

I was referring to the epistle writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity