Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2021, 04:35 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times

Advertisements

So on the testing demons thread, I learned of "trickster Satan". This lead to an interesting Google search that has more to do with this thread than the other. I don't get everything they are saying but it leads to some really interesting conclusions about the divinity of Jesus prior to the 40 days fast. 40 as a symbol of transformation.

https://progressivechristianity.org/...nterpretation/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 04:55 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So on the testing demons thread, I learned of "trickster Satan". This lead to an interesting Google search that has more to do with this thread than the other. I don't get everything they are saying but it leads to some really interesting conclusions about the divinity of Jesus prior to the 40 days fast. 40 as a symbol of transformation.

Very interesting! thanks

Too soon

I don’t agree with the conclusion of Elaine Pagels at the end about Johns gospel is an after-thought though,

It is the gospel that links the beginning/Genesis to the end Revelation

Matthew, Mark, Luke all have their own places, as well as the Acts of the Apostles, the epistles and the various letters and we need to take all into consideration

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-29-2021 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 04:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

I hope others read this as well, before playing make believe and/or the blame game.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:19 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

That the number 40 is often used symbolically in the Bible is hardly news. But that doesn't mean that Jesus' trial in the desert didn't happen. And it doesn't mean that Jesus wasn't/isn't God.

Here is a list of the usage of the number 40 in the Bible.

https://jesusalive.cc/number-forty-s...ance-in-bible/

Old 09-29-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
That the number 40 is often used symbolically in the Bible is hardly news. But that doesn't mean that Jesus' trial in the desert didn't happen. And it doesn't mean that Jesus wasn't/isn't God.

Here is a list of the usage of the number 40 in the Bible.

https://jesusalive.cc/number-forty-s...ance-in-bible/
How did He go 40 days without water in the desert if He was fully human as well as fully divine? It seems to me it would be more symbolic.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Very interesting! thanks

Too soon

I don’t agree with the conclusion of Elaine Pagels at the end about Johns gospel is an after-thought though,

It is the gospel that links the beginning/Genesis to the end Revelation

Matthew, Mark, Luke all have their own places, as well as the Acts of the Apostles, the epistles and the various letters and we need to take all into consideration
I didn't understand this:

As T.S. Eliot wrote: “The last temptation is the greatest treason, to do the right thing for the wrong reason.”

What right thing for the wrong reasons is being referred to?

Edit: ooohhhh maybe serve God for a reward. Serving God would be the right thing but doing it for personal gain would be the wrong reasons.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:37 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
How did He go 40 days without water in the desert if He was fully human as well as fully divine? It seems to me it would be more symbolic.
That's what I said. The number 40 is often used symbolically in the Bible. You don't need to understand Matthew 4:2 literally. Apparently the number 40, among other ways, is associated with trial, testing, judgment. It could just be understood as denoting a long period of time.

Then again, I just looked and it doesn't say that Jesus didn't drink water but only that he fasted. A person can go 30-40 days without eating. Jesus could have had access to water if there were sources available.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:

As T.S. Eliot wrote: “The last temptation is the greatest treason, to do the right thing for the wrong reason.”

It comes from the play by TS Elliot, murder in the cathedral

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_in_the_Cathedral

Quote:
A herald announces Becket’s arrival. Becket is immediately reflective about his coming martyrdom, which he embraces, and which is understood to be a sign of his own selfishness—his fatal weakness. The tempters arrive, three of whom parallel the Temptations of Christ.
The first tempter offers the prospect of physical safety.
Take a friend's advice. Leave well alone,
Or your goose may be cooked and eaten to the bone.
The second offers power, riches, and fame in serving the King.
To set down the great, protect the poor,
Beneath the throne of God can man do more?
The third tempter suggests a coalition with the barons and a chance to resist the King.
For us, Church favour would be an advantage,
Blessing of Pope powerful protection
In the fight for liberty. You, my Lord,
In being with us, would fight a good stroke
Finally, a fourth tempter urges him to seek the glory of martyrdom.
You hold the keys of heaven and hell.
Power to bind and loose: bind, Thomas, bind,
King and bishop under your heel.
King, emperor, bishop, baron, king:
Becket responds to all of the tempters and specifically addresses the immoral suggestions of the fourth tempter at the end of the first act:
Now is my way clear, now is the meaning plain:
Temptation shall not come in this kind again.
The last temptation is the greatest treason:
To do the right deed for the wrong reason.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Edit: ooohhhh maybe serve God for a reward. Serving God would be the right thing but doing it for personal gain would be the wrong reasons.
Yes

Its what underlies the flaw inherent in the Protestant Revolution because Jesus never protested but suffered to the death under the Romans/Jews

His own people were to do the same, not to invest too heavily in the “riches” of this earthly denominational kingdom

They are to be under whatever rulers there are and be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-29-2021 at 05:55 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The NT is extremely symbolic

There is a lot of symbolism and problems happen if you try to be too literal minded

We are to believe and have faith and not try to disprove or cut the Scriptures up into pieces, or upset others faith, I believe if we are responding to the “call” we are to understand the greater, broader, deeper meaning while also keeping our own simple childlike faith in the narratives that we initially got from our religious father/mothers, and our own original, personal belief/faith

That is being a Christian, not veering to the left or right, but keeping “balanced”

God's Wrath on Unrighteousness
Rom 1:18**for revealed is the wrath of God from Heaven on all impiety and unrighteousness of men, holding down the truth in unrighteousness.
Rom 1:19**Because that which is known of God is revealed among them, for God revealed [it] to them,
Rom 1:20**for the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world, by the things made being understood, are plainly seen, both His eternal power and Godhead—to their being inexcusable;
Rom 1:21**because, having known God they did not glorify [Him] as God, nor gave thanks, but were made vain in their reasonings, and their unintelligent heart was darkened,
Rom 1:22**professing to be wise, they were made fools,
Rom 1:23**and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into the likeness of an image of corruptible man, and of birds, and of quadrupeds, and of reptiles.
Rom 1:24**For this reason also God gave them up, in the desires of their hearts, to uncleanness, to dishonor their bodies among themselves;
Rom 1:25**who changed the truth of God into the lie, and honored and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for all ages. Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity