Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2021, 06:15 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
1."Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me;"(Jn 14:11)
That's significantly more than just 'purpose' - but I see you don't believe Him.
Plus, the scripture doesn't say 'in purpose'. See how easily you just put that in!!

2.Jesus is not 'a god'; There IS only ONE God! NWT adds an 'a' that doesn't exist in any original scripture creating two gods - the confusion & insertion, again, is yours, own it.

3. No, Jesus IS the image of the invisible God, not 'was'.

It as well doesnt say he is God when saying they are one.
Their own translating in the greek proves their error. The one true God is called-HoTheos( greek) in the 2nd line. Just plain Theos is in the last line. = a god. Not The God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 06:19 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
1."Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me;"(Jn 14:11)
That's significantly more than just 'purpose' - but I see you don't believe Him.
Plus, the scripture doesn't say 'in purpose'. See how easily you just put that in!!

2.Jesus is not 'a god'; There IS only ONE God! NWT adds an 'a' that doesn't exist in any original scripture creating two gods - the confusion & insertion, again, is yours, own it.

3. No, Jesus IS the image of the invisible God, not 'was'.
Yes, Jesus is the image. An image is never the real thing. At Collosians 1:15-calling Jesus Gods image also teaches-Jesus is the FIRSTBORN of all creation= created. All creation happened thousands of years before he was here as a mortal.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:22 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Quote:
“ I and the Father are one.” John 10:30
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1
“ …Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. …” John 14:9
Indeed.

My hand is "one with me." And when it does my will, I am well pleased.
But my hand is not all of me.
Neither was Jesus 'all of the Father.'
Nor those who also could become "one with the Father."
John 17:21 (KJV) That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:22 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The NT is extremely symbolic

There is a lot of symbolism and problems happen if you try to be too literal minded

We are to believe and have faith and not try to disprove or cut the Scriptures up into pieces, or upset others faith, I believe if we are responding to the “call” we are to understand the greater, broader, deeper meaning while also keeping our own simple childlike faith in the narratives that we initially got from our religious father/mothers, and our own original, personal belief/faith

That is being a Christian, not veering to the left or right, but keeping “balanced”

God's Wrath on Unrighteousness
Rom 1:18**for revealed is the wrath of God from Heaven on all impiety and unrighteousness of men, holding down the truth in unrighteousness.
Rom 1:19**Because that which is known of God is revealed among them, for God revealed [it] to them,
Rom 1:20**for the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world, by the things made being understood, are plainly seen, both His eternal power and Godhead—to their being inexcusable;
Rom 1:21**because, having known God they did not glorify [Him] as God, nor gave thanks, but were made vain in their reasonings, and their unintelligent heart was darkened,
Rom 1:22**professing to be wise, they were made fools,
Rom 1:23**and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into the likeness of an image of corruptible man, and of birds, and of quadrupeds, and of reptiles.
Rom 1:24**For this reason also God gave them up, in the desires of their hearts, to uncleanness, to dishonor their bodies among themselves;
Rom 1:25**who changed the truth of God into the lie, and honored and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for all ages. Amen.
Thanks for all the information especially the TS Elliot reference. I don't have a lot of education because growing up it was Watchtower 24/7 then I worked beyond full time trying to survive after leaving. I just discovered Walt Witman at 50 years of age. I'm starting to think what I missed out on was the greater loss than what I was subjected to.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:30 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So on the testing demons thread, I learned of "trickster Satan". This lead to an interesting Google search that has more to do with this thread than the other. I don't get everything they are saying but it leads to some really interesting conclusions about the divinity of Jesus prior to the 40 days fast. 40 as a symbol of transformation.

https://progressivechristianity.org/...nterpretation/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I hope others read this as well, before playing make believe and/or the blame game.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:30 PM

270 posts, read 193,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Yes, Jesus is the image. An image is never the real thing. At Collosians 1:15-calling Jesus Gods image also teaches-Jesus is the FIRSTBORN of all creation= created. All creation happened thousands of years before he was here as a mortal.
Not so: "one New Testament passage seems to imply that Jesus was begotten of the Holy Ghost (Matt. 1:18-20), dozens of other passages clearly indicate that Jesus is the Son of God the Father, rather than the son of the Holy Ghost. Luke 1:35 clarifies that the Holy Ghost's role was to prepare Mary to receive the power of the "Highest"--God the Father. Note carefully the entire verse: "The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest, shall overshadow thee: therefore also that Holy thing which shall he born of thee shall he called the Son of God."
Moreover Jesus is coeternal with God's other aspects, Father, Son (Jesus) and Holy Spirt. Most Christians speak of 'the persons' of God, yet God is one and we cannot say God is three persons, but one God who is beyond our imagination.
People need their words and imagination so they speak about God as three persons.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:37 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the information especially the TS Elliot reference. I don't have a lot of education because growing up it was Watchtower 24/7 then I worked beyond full time trying to survive after leaving. I just discovered Walt Witman at 50 years of age. I'm starting to think what I missed out on was the greater loss than what I was subjected to.
Don’t let it worry you, we are where we need to be,

Timing is not up to us, we respond as we are able - I have had very similar thoughts and anxiety

Just a comment on the loss that you are feeling, I felt that too (repeatedly) and it has brought me to a place of trust in my connection at that felt level I had as a child, I am now in my 60’s and didn’t “wake” til about 12 years ago, and the learning I do is not for my benefit but for His benefit and I also get a personal satisfaction and reward as well

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-29-2021 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 07:03 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Don’t let it worry you, we are where we need to be,

Timing is not up to us, we respond as we are able - I have had very similar thoughts and anxiety

Just a comment on the loss that you are feeling, I felt that too (repeatedly) and it has brought me to a place of trust in my connection at that felt level I had as a child, I am now in my 60’s and didn’t “wake” til about 12 years ago, and the learning I do is not for my benefit but for His benefit and I also get a personal satisfaction and reward as well
Thanks. It bothered me to type it out and then about a minute afterward. Soon after that feeling of awe came in about how near impossible me being here right now even is. That always bothered me about the group I was raised in. They don't believe this life has any value and are always waiting on Jehovah to come and give them everything they've ever dreamed of. This IS the gift.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:14 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Thanks. It bothered me to type it out and then about a minute afterward. Soon after that feeling of awe came in about how near impossible me being here right now even is. That always bothered me about the group I was raised in. They don't believe this life has any value and are always waiting on Jehovah to come and give them everything they've ever dreamed of. This IS the gift.
Absolutely!

The more sensitive you are are.......the more damage can be/is done......the more healing is required ...... the more thankful you are

It’s all there in the Scriptures but it will only be understood by those that it has affected in that way, because not all is at the same level or layer or receptivity

My “nemesis” was the Pentecostal’s .... not personally but doctrinally where I just could not accept individual, finite humans being infinitely tormented and it caused many years of that “wilderness” type experience

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-29-2021 at 07:32 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 07:26 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
It as well doesnt say he is God when saying they are one.
Their own translating in the greek proves their error. The one true God is called-HoTheos( greek) in the 2nd line. Just plain Theos is in the last line. = a god. Not The God.
Ok, Name the translators for the NWT so that we may consult them, verify their credentials, and that they may testify/provide witness to their work?

Last edited by CCCyou; 09-29-2021 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity