Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 10:04 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
We (as in all) each have our own personal studies both denominationally and independently and each have our public sharing

I also look at where things were said, not just the why it was said - and am drawn to the symbolism, timing, layering, relationships etc within Scripture and how it relates to the time that they were in, and also about the foretelling and fulfilling that was to happen/is to happen

Like the sermon on the mount, the sea, the temple, etc

I think we have the same type of curiosity, .... maybe we are better to see how things develop in the threads as we have different perspectives and my “style” is to follow what is brought up and then to relate it to my interest and how it fits into what I have studied and what I have to offer
Sounds good to me. We will see where we go. It seems like we simply have a different approach, but we both have a curious mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Are we? Then why are there tens of thousands of denominations?
We absolutely are capable of understanding, and with prayer and patience we will. There are a variety of reasons for so many denominations. I think the biggest is lack of personal study. Case in point: I have a dear family member who is Roman Catholic. Her idea of Bible study is to read a little publication with Scriptures and how to apply them, rather than study the Bible for herself. She needs to look at all God has to say on any given topic. Instead, she is allowing someone else to lead her in her thinking. The second biggest reason is that it goes against our psyche to admit we are wrong. It’s called cognitive dissonance. It’s easier to hold on to a false teaching than to deal with being wrong. Many have been taught falsely their whole lives, and their parents whom they love and trust, have handed down their beliefs to them. It’s very hard to go against our loved ones. I find it’s getting worse with denominations. They are moving further and further from the truth. They’re content to follow the teachings of men. It’s easier.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:28 AM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
We absolutely are capable of understanding, and with prayer and patience we will.
Sure, I agree with that; provided we place ourselves under the proper Authority that Christ has appointed.

Quote:
There are a variety of reasons for so many denominations. I think the biggest is lack of personal study.
I think it's pride - an unwillingness to submit to Authority.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:29 AM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Sounds good to me. We will see where we go. It seems like we simply have a different approach, but we both have a curious mind.
Yep

Old 10-27-2021, 12:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
We absolutely are capable of understanding, and with prayer and patience we will. There are a variety of reasons for so many denominations. I think the biggest is lack of personal study. Case in point: I have a dear family member who is Roman Catholic. Her idea of Bible study is to read a little publication with Scriptures and how to apply them, rather than study the Bible for herself. She needs to look at all God has to say on any given topic. Instead, she is allowing someone else to lead her in her thinking. The second biggest reason is that it goes against our psyche to admit we are wrong. It’s called cognitive dissonance. It’s easier to hold on to a false teaching than to deal with being wrong. Many have been taught falsely their whole lives, and their parents whom they love and trust, have handed down their beliefs to them. It’s very hard to go against our loved ones. I find it’s getting worse with denominations. They are moving further and further from the truth. They’re content to follow the teachings of men. It’s easier.
Interesting. I go to a very well attended bible study in our parish (I'm Roman Catholic) and we study different books in the bible in a very in depth manner, which takes at least an hour and usually more than an hour of study every week. We have a very large group - I'd say 70 or so women - and then we break into smaller groups to go more in depth. Right now we're studying Mark and then we will do Amos.

I can also choose from a wide variety of different sorts of services to attend, from very casual at 5:30 on Saturdays to formal, what I'd call "high church" at 10 am on Sundays, to a Latin Mass at 1:30 on Sundays, or any of the various local parish churches that are scattered across the diocese, which hold services at all different times, in several different languages and styles. I can go every day if I like. Just as an example of the flexibility.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. I go to a very well attended bible study in our parish (I'm Roman Catholic) and we study different books in the bible in a very in depth manner, which takes at least an hour and usually more than an hour of study every week. We have a very large group - I'd say 70 or so women - and then we break into smaller groups to go more in depth. Right now we're studying Mark and then we will do Amos.

I can also choose from a wide variety of different sorts of services to attend, from very casual at 5:30 on Saturdays to formal, what I'd call "high church" at 10 am on Sundays, to a Latin Mass at 1:30 on Sundays, or any of the various local parish churches that are scattered across the diocese, which hold services at all different times, in several different languages and styles. I can go every day if I like. Just as an example of the flexibility.
Happy to hear you attend a Bible study. Me too. How much do you study in depth on your own?

Old 10-27-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Sure, I agree with that; provided we place ourselves under the proper Authority that Christ has appointed.

I think it's pride - an unwillingness to submit to Authority.
I agree with you about pride. Who is the proper authority according to the Scriptures?

Old 10-27-2021, 02:41 PM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
I agree with you about pride. Who is the proper authority according to the Scriptures?
Christ told the apostles in Luke 10:16 "whoever hears you, hears Me". The Authority resides with the Apostles and their successors.

Christ handed the keys of the kingdom to Peter (Matthew 16:19). The successors to the Apostles must be in communion with the successor to Peter.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:54 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
If she attends mass regularly, she will hear a great part of the whole bible read to her over a 3-year course cycle (liturgy of the Word - https://catholic-resources.org/Lectionary/),
and she can attend mass anywhere in the world, and hear the same readings.
A mature Catholic (who attends regularly) will have 'heard' the whole bible a dozen or more times over their lifetime.
Certainly not a 'replacement' for personal study and contemplation, as very many do like Kathryn mentioned.
As a Catholic also, my family was involved, and then even lead a 'family apostolate' group, where we would meet regularly - entire families - to study scripture, and pray together. This was of course in addition to regular mass attendance.
Our parishes also have woman's, men's, young adult, and even youth bible study groups.
And then we spend the rest of the day, living our faith.
I agree with what you say (bolded above) - that's why I turned the tv off 35 years ago!

Last edited by CCCyou; 10-27-2021 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 04:03 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
The one and only proper authority about God is Jesus Christ the Word of God, NOT the Bible. There is a reason Bible scholars exist and there was wisdom in the Catholic Church's early retention of Latin as the language of the Bible and the discouragement of individual undirected Bible reading.

Unfortunately, the scholars and the so-called successors to the Apostles were beyond negligent and irresponsible in retaining our ancestors' primitive interpretations of God's nature and motives without revision by rejecting as heresy ANY divergent interpretations. That is not how spiritual understanding evolves with increased knowledge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The scriptures were written using our ancestors' primitive mindset wherein all negative consequences in life no matter their actual origins were considered the wrath of God. This completely obscured and rendered impotent Jesus Christ's powerful sacrifice and demonstration of God's True Nature and Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness on the Cross. It has been completely misinterpreted to be the result of the wrath of God which has perpetuated our ancestors' erroneous beliefs about the nature and motives of God.

Despite the advance of knowledge and understanding that should eventually have brought enlightenment and corrected that misunderstanding, it has been retained as a sign of faith in God. Truly heroic efforts of rationalization by theologians have endeavored without success to put lipstick on that pig of primitive misunderstanding with created jargon and twisted logic to explain it away. Failure to address it directly will never achieve the unity desired, IMO, Meerkat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity