Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 04:30 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Who is the proper authority according to the Scriptures?
According to Paul, it's "prophets and apostles," and he said they should continue to exist "till we all come in the unity of the faith."

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-27-2021 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 05:00 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
According to Paul, it's "prophets and apostles," and he said they should continue to exist "till we all come in the unity of the faith."
Yep

And there is an order/numbering associated with that as well

1Co 12:28**And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

1Co 12:18**But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

Also in the resurrection of the dead there is Succession and order too

1Co 15:22**For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
1Co 15:23**But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

G5001***(Strong)
τάγμα
tagma
tag'-mah
From G5021; something orderly in arrangement (a troop), that is, (figuratively) a series or succession: - order.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 10-27-2021 at 05:10 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 05:20 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
And this ties into Baptism in this passage

Eph 4:3**Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Eph 4:4**There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5**One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6**One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Eph 4:7**But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

Each part of the church has a measure given to them, a gift, suitable for their own administrative duties

G3358***(Strong)
μέτρον
metron
met'-ron
An apparently primary word; a measure (“metre”), literally or figuratively; by implication a limited portion (degree): - measure.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Happy to hear you attend a Bible study. Me too. How much do you study in depth on your own?
I go through periods when I study more or study less. Right now I'm sort of studying more - but I also do a lot of volunteer work and have to prepare for that as well (I teach a class on job skills to underprivileged women with a Christian ministry). So between the volunteer work and preparation for the class, and the preparation for the bible study, and just general reading on my own, and then the other volunteer work I do for the St. Vincent dePaul Society (weekly) I figure I'm doing about all I can do. I feel really good about it all by the way - it's very fulfilling spiritually.

How about you? How much do you study in depth on your own? Also, do you think it's important to study "on one's own" and if so, why?

Old 10-28-2021, 07:19 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
"until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ,"
unity of 1Cor14 and 1Cor15.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:35 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
"until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ,"
unity of 1Cor14 and 1Cor15.
That's not happening on this earth...

Old 10-28-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
not really, not too many understand Paul.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:21 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No it's not. Ephesians 4:11-14 states: And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive

I honestly can't even see why it's debatable. Paul states that Jesus Christ organized His church and appointed apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers. He explained what their purpose was and that this same organization should exist forever. He also said that if it didn't, the Church would run the risk of being torn apart into various factions, with various groups teaching different doctrines, and that many would be deceived. And yet 99% of Christians see no need for this basic organizational structure and the authority that was associated with these specific roles/callings. That's why I believe we have come to the point we're at now.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
No it's not. Ephesians 4:11-14 states: And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive

I honestly can't even see why it's debatable. Paul states that Jesus Christ organized His church and appointed apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers. He explained what their purpose was and that this same organization should exist forever. He also said that if it didn't, the Church would run the risk of being torn apart into various factions, with various groups teaching different doctrines, and that many would be deceived. And yet 99% of Christians see no need for this basic organizational structure and the authority that was associated with these specific roles/callings. That's why I believe we have come to the point we're at now.
the problem is that whoever was appointed for one life time are long gone. Paul maintained that system and those are gone too. Eventually spiritless people took over the church, Paul had hand picked teachers running churches. A few years after his death it was all gone and mostly still is.
37"If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord."
Hand picked people capable "acknowledge" (epiginōsketō) to know exactly, to recognize) were required.
Short time after Paul's death those people were persecuted by the church.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:03 PM

63,841 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
the problem is that whoever was appointed for one life time are long gone. Paul maintained that system and those are gone too. Eventually spiritless people took over the church, Paul had hand picked teachers running churches. A few years after his death it was all gone and mostly still is.
37"If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord."
Hand picked people capable "acknowledge" (epiginōsketō) to know exactly, to recognize) were required.
Short time after Paul's death those people were persecuted by the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity