Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 11:02 AM

9,899 posts, read 1,280,373 times

Advertisements

I have heard many say that baptism is a “work.” How is something Jesus commanded a work? How can it be considered “works based salvation?” Can someone give Scriptural support for this teaching? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 11:43 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,038,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I have heard many say that baptism is a “work.” How is something Jesus commanded a work? How can it be considered “works based salvation?” Can someone give Scriptural support for this teaching? Thanks in advance.
Seems pretty simple. If you have to do anything, how do you know you've done enough?

Old 10-20-2021, 11:47 AM

11,902 posts, read 3,713,655 times
I believe baptism is an outward display of the internal commitment

It is not a work as such, it is symbolic

Old 10-20-2021, 12:10 PM

3,834 posts, read 1,388,107 times
Quote:
Excellent point there (bolded), MissKate! Welcome to the Forum!
I recommending sticking with what Jesus commands and loving Him - John 14:23!
Most seem to miss this, and likewise miss boarding the Ark!

Old 10-20-2021, 12:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Seems pretty simple. If you have to do anything, how do you know you've done enough?
According to your logic, you would not even have to believe.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:01 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
It's not. We are expected to be obedient to God's commandments. In John 14:15, we read, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

We are reminded twice in Matthew that we much do the will of the Father and will be rewarded for doing do. That is not "works-based salvation," and because we have been commanded to be baptized, keeping that commandment is merely obedience.

Matthew 7:21 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:03 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
I would think someone would know if he were fully committed to Jesus. I know I am, and it wasn't a complicated process at all.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:06 PM

13,642 posts, read 7,963,467 times
Quote:
Because Christ has told us what He requires of us.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:29 PM

33,283 posts, read 26,487,831 times
Water baptism was commanded by Jesus but not as a condition for eternal salvation. It is simply a ritual which expresses a commitment as well as being a teaching aid which demonstrates what happens when you believe in Christ. When you go under the water you are being symbolically identified with Jesus in his death and burial. Then when you come up out of the water you are being symbolically identified with Jesus in the renewal of life- resurrection life.

Water baptism demonstrates what actually happened with the real baptism of the Holy Spirit which takes place the moment you first place your faith in Christ Jesus. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is a real baptism while water baptism is a symbolic baptism.

However, if a person mistakenly thinks that he must be baptized in water in order to be eternally saved, then for that person it becomes work based salvation which is false theology. Anything a person adds to salvation by grace through faith in Christ Jesus is works based salvation.

Old 10-20-2021, 03:24 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,038,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Because Christ has told us what He requires of us.
Have you done enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity