Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 12:26 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why should I be content with inaccurate representation of my Lord?
The Chose is NOT a documentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 01:06 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
which is the season/episode that Jesus said I am, and they took Jesus to a high place and were going to throw him over? But Jesus said, its not time now.
That is found in S3 Ep3, entitled Physician, Heal Yourself.

Old 03-21-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
You may be taking the show too literally, sir. As TMSRetired stated, this show is not a documentary. There are a number of inaccuracies or conjectures in the show. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Matthew was autistic, either but fans of the show enjoy that the writers made his character that way. Nowhere in the Bible does it infer that Matthew had a crush on Mary Magdalene but the show suggests it.

Taking every story line in the show as gospel is distracting. Over and over, Dallas has said that The Chosen is not intended to be a replacement for the Bible. It's merely a vehicle to perhaps point people in that direction while being entertaining. And they've achieved that.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:09 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You may be taking the show too literally, sir. As TMSRetired stated, this show is not a documentary. There are a number of inaccuracies or conjectures in the show. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Matthew was autistic, either but fans of the show enjoy that the writers made his character that way. Nowhere in the Bible does it infer that Matthew had a crush on Mary Magdalene but the show suggests it.

Taking every story line in the show as gospel is distracting. Over and over, Dallas has said that The Chosen is not intended to be a replacement for the Bible. It's merely a vehicle to perhaps point people in that direction while being entertaining. And they've achieved that.
Yes, and BF is not the intended target of the series

His type of religious affiliation sets up a very natural reaction within him against it

I would say that he would find it personally distracting to watch it when it clashes with his theological understanding and perception of Scripture

Old 03-21-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Yes, and BF is not the intended target of the series

His type of religious affiliation sets up a very natural reaction within him against it
There are a lot of viewers like him who've gotten very upset with what they've watched. Makes me question why they're watching in the first place. If they want accuracy to hold up their belief, stick with what they know. Watching The Chosen isn't for them. I'm pretty old now and what I've learned in life when it comes to religion or, well, anything is that some people are just wound too tight and react to every little thing. You can't have internal peace if that's how you live life.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:25 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
There are a lot of viewers like him who've gotten very upset with what they've watched. Makes me question why they're watching in the first place. If they want accuracy to hold up their belief, stick with what they know. Watching The Chosen isn't for them. I'm pretty old now and what I've learned in life when it comes to religion or, well, anything is that some people are just wound too tight and react to every little thing. You can't have internal peace if that's how you live life.

Oh yeah

It has to do with the paradox that is brought up in various Scriptures regarding the personal/lesser and the public/greater and how they work together in society

It seems to be that the more seriously people take their religion, themselves and it’s observances the further away they can get from the meaning contained within both Scripture and the organisations built up to distribute it

The higher up you go the further there is to fall

Old 03-21-2023, 02:32 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Because the show is not a documentary. It doesn't even pretend to be. Have you noticed that of all the people who have been posting on this thread, you are the only one who is so bothered by the minutia? "The Chosen" is a powerful show, but as long as you are focused on finding fault with it, you might as well not waste your time even posting, because everybody is just going to keep telling you that it's not intended to be an exact replica of what the Bible says. If you can't enjoy it for what it is, then just give it a rest.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
The way I understand the character of Jesus who said "I am the law". Firstly, Jesus said "I am" which was one of the names of God in the Old Testament.

Then for Jesus to say "I am the law", it means like this - if you have an authority figure who is hearing someone who is disgruntled aobut something, the disgruntled person says 'I'm going to report you to the law" and the authoritative person says "I am the law".

So the character of Jesus was saying HE is the TOTAL FINAL AUTHORITY over all the stuff the Pharasees were claiming.

Its same as when people say "THE boss of ABC Company".

And thank you to the person who provided the episode that i want to see. When i heard the trailor for the Season 3, and i heard the character of Jesus say "I AM the law" it was a powerful, ownership statement that I loved hearing. Jesus is THE Authority, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!!! THE God.. THE Son of God. THE One!

Old 03-21-2023, 03:56 PM

Excellent way of looking at it, ChicagoMeO

Old 03-23-2023, 02:26 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Excellent way of looking at it, ChicagoMeO
Ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity