Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 11:47 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Saying it came FROM him is not the same as saying he IS the Law. And no, I'm not "getting all huffy", but I'm calmly explaining my position. It's just not doctrinally correct to say the Messiah, God himself, in whom we find peace and rest from our work "is the Law".
Jesus said "I am the resurrection and the life," too. Technically speaking, He "is" neither of those things. Both of them came about as a result of His Atonement. Surely you are familiar with metaphors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Good morning. I'm late to respond to your comment from yesterday (slept in this morning too ). I understand what you're saying here and as I said, Dallas and the writers take creative liberties with the script. He's also stated that several times over the past few years when something in an episode upsets others. Here is his explanation of why that line in written the way it was in the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjvHjjUJJow

Yes. I believe that is exactly what Dallas meant when they wrote the line in that episode.

I interpreted it the same as you, TMSRetired. I took no offense to it because I know there are plenty of moments in the show that cause me to raise an eyebrow but I know that, at its core, the show isn't about spelling out the entire gospel for people. It's meant to pique their curiosity. To ask questions. To want to know more about God. That's all. As siameseifyoupls stated earlier in a post, The Chosen is having an impact.
Is that an interview with Dallas Jenkins? Man, that is a lo-o-o-o-ng interview. I'd like to listen to it when I have a couple of free hours, though. I'm really interested in hearing what he has to say.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:55 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Is that an interview with Dallas Jenkins? Man, that is a lo-o-o-o-ng interview. I'd like to listen to it when I have a couple of free hours, though. I'm really interested in hearing what he has to say.
Not a long one. Little over two minutes. A quick response to the "I am the Law of Moses" comment.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Not a long one. Little over two minutes. A quick response to the "I am the Law of Moses" comment.
Duh. I read 2:23 and thought 2 hours and 23 minutes.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:36 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,278 times
While, of course, we don't want incorrect theology, I thought I would share the impact The Chosen has had on two people I personally know - the woman who does my hair and her husband.

I have known her for years, and we have had discussions about Christianity - she was raised Catholic, but it was clear to me that she was not that interested beyond the tradition. A few months ago she mentioned that she was watching The Chosen, and that opened up a whole world of discussion to us.

She and her husband love the show. He was not raised in church at all. In fact, he heard people reciting The Lord's Prayer together, and he asked her what that was. He didn't even know what The Lord's Prayer was!
He is now reading the Bible. She is in a Bible study and is hungry, hungry, hungry. The light has gone on for them.

So while we are concerned about correct theology - and, of course, it should be correct, I doubt that either of them remembers Jesus saying He is the law. Or if they do remember, they thought nothing of it - it won't matter to them. What does matter is that they are pursuing God big time. And they seem to be doing it in the right places. Holy Spirit has done His work, and they are hooked.

That's why I say I am still on board. I know these people personally, and their lives have been changed.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:01 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
While, of course, we don't want incorrect theology, I thought I would share the impact The Chosen has had on two people I personally know - the woman who does my hair and her husband.

I have known her for years, and we have had discussions about Christianity - she was raised Catholic, but it was clear to me that she was not that interested beyond the tradition. A few months ago she mentioned that she was watching The Chosen, and that opened up a whole world of discussion to us.

She and her husband love the show. He was not raised in church at all. In fact, he heard people reciting The Lord's Prayer together, and he asked her what that was. He didn't even know what The Lord's Prayer was!
He is now reading the Bible. She is in a Bible study and is hungry, hungry, hungry. The light has gone on for them.

So while we are concerned about correct theology - and, of course, it should be correct, I doubt that either of them remembers Jesus saying He is the law. Or if they do remember, they thought nothing of it - it won't matter to them. What does matter is that they are pursuing God big time. And they seem to be doing it in the right places. Holy Spirit has done His work, and they are hooked.

That's why I say I am still on board. I know these people personally, and their lives have been changed.
That is great!

Old 03-14-2023, 03:02 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Maybe because you are taking it literally and not figuratively.
But would it be so terrible to actually have a tv show about Jesus that gets it right?

Old 03-14-2023, 03:54 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
But would it be so terrible to actually have a tv show about Jesus that gets it right?
I think it's fine. And I guess millions of others do too because they have 3 seasons under their belt and are filming the fourth all by donations.
In fact they went out of their way to call John the Baptist John the Baptizer so people would not get confused with the Baptist denomination.

Maybe you should think about why that show bothers you so much.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:27 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I think it's fine. And I guess millions of others do too because they have 3 seasons under their belt and are filming the fourth all by donations.
In fact they went out of their way to call John the Baptist John the Baptizer so people would not get confused with the Baptist denomination.
I didn't know that. Pretty interesting. I grew up saying John the Baptist but never really connected that title to the denomination.

I've enjoyed the first three seasons very much. I look forward to the other four but, then again, not really because I know how the story ends.

Can you believe the amount of money they've raised through crowd funding? They were able to build the entire filming set in Texas. Even through the pandemic. The cinematography is outstanding. Rivals anything coming out of Hollywood. It's a great show.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
If you based such a show strictly on what the gospels have to say, it probably would not hold people's interest since you can read the exact same words in a book. The Chosen brings the New Testament to life in a captivating way. For instance, you mentioned the fact that Matthew is depicted as being on the autism spectrum when the Bible gives us no indication that he was. The Chosen makes his disability real and shows how the other apostles acted towards him and how Jesus did. It contains a powerful lesson even though it's not exactly "by the book." I think the bottom line is that if you are looking to find fault with something (this movie or anything, really), you will be given ample opportunity to be successful. If you are looking to be uplifted by it, you will be. And I don't believe Jesus is the slightest bit upset by the artistic license that has been taken with His life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity