Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 08:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have one more thought about "I am the Law".. Jesus is referred in the New Testament as "The Word". We call the Bible "the Word of God".. soooooooo I'm thinking this is comparable to each other.

What about my theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 08:30 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi everyone! I have one more thought about "I am the Law".. Jesus is referred in the New Testament as "The Word". We call the Bible "the Word of God".. soooooooo I'm thinking this is comparable to each other.

What about my theory?
Maybe the controversy over that one statement in the show wouldn't have occurred if the line had been "I am the Word," because that's how the book of John begins and it's also the closing scene of Season 2 Ep 1.

In the beginning was the Word
and the Word was with God
and the Word was God

Anyone that saw that episode remembers how it ended and what John said.

All things were made
through Him,
"and without Him
was not anything made
that was made

https://youtu.be/hmU-kPHApVU

How much clearer can it be? Changing one word has caused such a controversy when throughout the show and in the Bible (as the source of this show) the Word was/is God so essentially, He is the Law. Maybe the confusion is with using I am the Law of Moses. I don't know. I just think people get too emotional about words, terms, events in the show that don't appear in the Bible or are different.

I've said before, the show is not a documentary. It is biblically inspired entertainment, and should be taken as such.

For me and what I believe, there is only one God, not a god but one God. I take my reference from the Judeo-Christian teaching of the first Commandment; Thou shalt have no other gods before me. So, in my mind and my heart, there is only one God. That's just me, though. I won't argue or try to influence anyone to believe the way I believe. My hope is that people who are still on the fence about what they believe will find their answer and go with that and not try to belittle or insult or attack anyone who believes otherwise.

I don't think The Chosen is trying to do that, either. Although, considering all the articles I've read by people who call this show blasphemy and condemn it, it only proves that not everyone is on the same page. You either like it, don't like it, are lukewarm about it or something else which means you can either watch it or don't watch it. It is not mandatory viewing. Simply a choice.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:47 AM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
There are people that take the Bible literally and were expecting something other than what The Chosen has presented.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:10 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Maybe the controversy over that one statement in the show wouldn't have occurred if the line had been "I am the Word," because that's how the book of John begins and it's also the closing scene of Season 2 Ep 1.

In the beginning was the Word
and the Word was with God
and the Word was God

Anyone that saw that episode remembers how it ended and what John said.

All things were made
through Him,
"and without Him
was not anything made
that was made

https://youtu.be/hmU-kPHApVU

How much clearer can it be? Changing one word has caused such a controversy when throughout the show and in the Bible (as the source of this show) the Word was/is God so essentially, He is the Law. Maybe the confusion is with using I am the Law of Moses. I don't know. I just think people get too emotional about words, terms, events in the show that don't appear in the Bible or are different.

I've said before, the show is not a documentary. It is biblically inspired entertainment, and should be taken as such.

For me and what I believe, there is only one God, not a god but one God. I take my reference from the Judeo-Christian teaching of the first Commandment; Thou shalt have no other gods before me. So, in my mind and my heart, there is only one God. That's just me, though. I won't argue or try to influence anyone to believe the way I believe. My hope is that people who are still on the fence about what they believe will find their answer and go with that and not try to belittle or insult or attack anyone who believes otherwise.

I don't think The Chosen is trying to do that, either. Although, considering all the articles I've read by people who call this show blasphemy and condemn it, it only proves that not everyone is on the same page. You either like it, don't like it, are lukewarm about it or something else which means you can either watch it or don't watch it. It is not mandatory viewing. Simply a choice.
Very nice post

I have tried a couple of times to watch it but it is just not for me

I am more much more into detective series, romantic comedy and science fiction/fantasy for pure entertainment and I think that is more about where my mind can switch off and not be analysing and comparing

Last edited by Meerkat2; 03-25-2023 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-31-2023, 07:41 PM

4,858 posts, read 451,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I’ve never been able to bring myself to watch The Passion for the very reason you stated. Just singing hymns and sharing the Lord’s Supper brings me to tears. I’d be a mess watching The Passion. It would be very emotional for me.
I watched that one, the Mel Gibson thing. I agree with you. The script was all over the place, mixing and matching the gospels. It certainly was vivid and brought me to tears.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:24 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
I just watched the most recent episode (I think it came out yesterday), and it was the best one so far, in my opinion. Apparently there's going to be a "Chosen marathon" next weekend. I don't know exactly what that means, but it's probably going to involve the release of at least two more new episodes.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:43 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,483 times
Season 4 will probably air in January 2024.

Old 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
There's a lot that's happened in the last month. Crew members with pride flags and a step back from Dallas Jenkins - coupled with the controversy of Little James' character not healed (totally unscriptural).

A lot of people have cut the proverbial cord.

Old 07-30-2023, 03:45 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
I loved too many episodes to pick one — but I was especially moved by that secret meeting of Jesus with Nicodemus and his ongoing struggle.

The fellow who played Jesus, clearly KNOWS JESUS — he got him perfectly — I don’t think you could portray him so well (the humor, the depth of compassion and wisdom, the love and profound spiritual maturity) without having a deep relationship with Him on that level.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:49 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I can respect your opinion, BF. I'd just like to say that the LDS writer is only one of several who contributed to the show. I haven't seen anything on the series yet that was uniquely identifiable as LDS. You might want to watch a couple of episodes before dismissing the show as being contrary to your beliefs. It seems pretty mainline Christian to me. I don't think the non-LDS writers would have been willing to include any LDS doctrines about Jesus. You know, despite our differences, there are a great many beliefs about Jesus that are common to LDS, Evangelical Christians, Traditional Protestants and Catholics. Sometimes it is worthwhile to find common ground instead of always focusing on our differences.
Your last sentence is so important. We are to be in harmony.

Some find certain " notes " to be dissonant.

But I maintain we all have plenty of other notes in which to harmonize.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-03-2023 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity