Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2023, 07:35 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I'm definitely not ok with the Book of Mormon. But I'm still on board. The Chosen is having an impact.
The thing is, when it shows Jesus saying "I am the Law", that goes completely opposite of what Scripture says. Scripture says Jesus is our rest. We rest in him. It's through faith in him that we enter the "rest", or "peace" of God. The opposite is true of the Law. Scripture tells us no one is saved through the Law -- because it only condemns. It points out sin, making us aware of our shortcomings.

Now, we can say, "So what?, it's only this one thing...." But is it? How many other things are just a bit off? How many other things are just not quite true? They add up. And the fact is, many Christians do not actually read their Bibles, but watching this show is all the Bible they're likely to get in a given week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 08:16 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The thing is, when it shows Jesus saying "I am the Law", that goes completely opposite of what Scripture says. Scripture says Jesus is our rest. We rest in him. It's through faith in him that we enter the "rest", or "peace" of God. The opposite is true of the Law. Scripture tells us no one is saved through the Law -- because it only condemns. It points out sin, making us aware of our shortcomings.
Where do you think the Law of Moses came from? Moses? If you say it came from God, then it came from Jesus because Jesus is the Word and has been God since the beginning. The Father and the Son are one, remember? You're getting all huffy over nothing.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:22 AM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Where do you think the Law of Moses came from? Moses?
That line does seem to upset people.

The Law of Moses came from God. If Jesus is God then he is the Law of Moses.
That is how I interpreted it. He is affirming that he is God without saying he is God.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:25 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

That is how I interpreted it. He is affirming that he is God without saying he is God.
Exactly. (I was in the middle of changing my post to reflect what you just said when I noticed you beat me to the punch.)

Old 03-14-2023, 08:33 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:
I think the actor portraying Jesus is the best I've ever seen, and I've probably seen just about every "Jesus movie" there is.
Jonathan Roumie gave a fun interview/conversation here:

-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyT3tiPxlPE

Old 03-14-2023, 09:04 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Where do you think the Law of Moses came from? Moses? If you say it came from God, then it came from Jesus because Jesus is the Word and has been God since the beginning. The Father and the Son are one, remember? You're getting all huffy over nothing.
Saying it came FROM him is not the same as saying he IS the Law. And no, I'm not "getting all huffy", but I'm calmly explaining my position. It's just not doctrinally correct to say the Messiah, God himself, in whom we find peace and rest from our work "is the Law".

I get it. You like it, and find it entertaining, as do a lot of people. I'm sure it is an entertaining and inspiring show, along with being doctrinally incorrect.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:48 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
My concern is that they contradict it. I have no problem with them portraying Jesus using dialogue that doesn't appear in Scripture, as long as it doesn't go against what is written.
Good morning. I'm late to respond to your comment from yesterday (slept in this morning too ). I understand what you're saying here and as I said, Dallas and the writers take creative liberties with the script. He's also stated that several times over the past few years when something in an episode upsets others. Here is his explanation of why that line in written the way it was in the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjvHjjUJJow

Quote:
Where do you think the Law of Moses came from? Moses? If you say it came from God, then it came from Jesus because Jesus is the Word and has been God since the beginning. The Father and the Son are one, remember?
Yes. I believe that is exactly what Dallas meant when they wrote the line in that episode.

Quote:

I interpreted it the same as you, TMSRetired. I took no offense to it because I know there are plenty of moments in the show that cause me to raise an eyebrow but I know that, at its core, the show isn't about spelling out the entire gospel for people. It's meant to pique their curiosity. To ask questions. To want to know more about God. That's all. As siameseifyoupls stated earlier in a post, The Chosen is having an impact.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Good morning. I'm late to respond to your comment from yesterday (slept in this morning too ). I understand what you're saying here and as I said, Dallas and the writers take creative liberties with the script. He's also stated that several times over the past few years when something in an episode upsets others. Here is his explanation of why that line in written the way it was in the episode.

Yes. I believe that is exactly what Dallas meant when they wrote the line in that episode.

I interpreted it the same as you, TMSRetired. I took no offense to it because I know there are plenty of moments in the show that cause me to raise an eyebrow but I know that, at its core, the show isn't about spelling out the entire gospel for people. It's meant to pique their curiosity. To ask questions. To want to know more about God. That's all. As siameseifyoupls stated earlier in a post, The Chosen is having an impact.
That is also how the Bible is written IMHO.
It encourages you to think deeper.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:49 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
That is also how the Bible is written IMHO.
It encourages you to think deeper.
Yes And Dallas has stated as much over the past few years.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Saying it came FROM him is not the same as saying he IS the Law. And no, I'm not "getting all huffy", but I'm calmly explaining my position. It's just not doctrinally correct to say the Messiah, God himself, in whom we find peace and rest from our work "is the Law".

I get it. You like it, and find it entertaining, as do a lot of people. I'm sure it is an entertaining and inspiring show, along with being doctrinally incorrect.
Maybe because you are taking it literally and not figuratively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity