Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2022, 04:03 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. I'm aware we use a lot of the same terms. But the issue is how we define those terms.
Let's talk about this without fighting. I think we can do that. In all of the points I listed, how do you think we define our terms differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 04:04 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Let's talk about this without fighting. I think we can do that. In all of the points I listed, how do you think we define our terms differently?
A big one is the relationship between the Father and the Son. The LDS church doesn't teach the Trinity, as Christianity has historically understood it.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
A big one is the relationship between the Father and the Son. The LDS church doesn't teach the Trinity, as Christianity has historically understood it.
But I didn't even mention that point in the many that I listed that you don't seem to think we have in common. Besides, Michael Way and I had a long discussion about our beliefs concerning the relationship between the Father and the Son and found that when we were willing to try to actually understand one another's perspectives, they weren't too terribly different. As you know, he's a Trinitarian. Besides, I do believe everything the Bible actually has to say about their relationship. There aren't any passages I dispute. But back to my actual post, those are all points I believe we can agree on, even if I don't accept the creedal definitions of God. I'm genuinely trying, BF. I'd be very happy to know that there are actually points of Christianity we can agree on. It just seems as if you find the idea of agreeing with a Mormon on ANYTHING to be absolutely abhorant, and that makes me really sad.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-23-2022 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-23-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
But I didn't even mention that point in the many that I listed that you don't seem to think we have in common. Besides, Michael Way and I had a long discussion about our beliefs concerning the relationship between the Father and the Son and found that when we were willing to try to actually understand one another's perspectives, they weren't too terribly different. As you know, he's a Trinitarian. Besides, I do believe everything the Bible actually has to say about their relationship. There aren't any passages I dispute. But back to my actual post, those are all points I believe we can agree on, even if I don't accept the creedal definitions of God. I'm genuinely trying, BF. I'd be very happy to know that there are actually points of Christianity we can agree on. It just seems as if you find the idea of agreeing with a Mormon on ANYTHING to be absolutely abhorant, and that makes me really sad.
I know more about your religion than you think I do. I've been studying apologetics for 30 years. If one believes that the Son is the spiritual son of the Father and his wife, that's a major issue. I cannot be in agreement with said person. I'm sorry. I don't hate you, and I don't hate Mormons. But that is a major sticking point.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I know more about your religion than you think I do. I've been studying apologetics for 30 years.
Yes, but you've been studying only one side of the issue, right? How much have you studied from the LDS perspective? Probably not much, because you don't think Mormons can be trusted to give you a "straight answer" about what they believe. Your sources say that Mormons believe [such and such]. The LDS sources will try to clarify our beliefs and you just dismiss them as if we were lying -- which we're not. We're telling you what we really do believe. You just don't believe us.

Quote:
If one believes that the Son is the spiritual son of the Father and his wife, that's a major issue. I cannot be in agreement with said person. I'm sorry. I don't hate you, and I don't hate Mormons. But that is a major sticking point.
Okay, so why can't we discuss the things we do agree on? That's what I don't get. I mentioned nineteen points that I think you would have no issue with. Why are you so hesitant to discuss them? And why are you so afraid that you'll find ANY common ground with us? Do you think you'll be judged as a heretic if we actually do have things in common?

Old 11-25-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, but you've been studying only one side of the issue, right? How much have you studied from the LDS perspective? Probably not much, because you don't think Mormons can be trusted to give you a "straight answer" about what they believe. Your sources say that Mormons believe [such and such]. The LDS sources will try to clarify our beliefs and you just dismiss them as if we were lying -- which we're not. We're telling you what we really do believe. You just don't believe us.
I've read a book that details your beliefs written by a former President of the LDS church, can't remember which one. I've also read a good part of the Book of Mormon. I can't claim to have read all of it.
Quote:
Okay, so why can't we discuss the things we do agree on? That's what I don't get. I mentioned nineteen points that I think you would have no issue with. Why are you so hesitant to discuss them? And why are you so afraid that you'll find ANY common ground with us? Do you think you'll be judged as a heretic if we actually do have things in common?
Who Jesus is IS the major point of Christianity. If we don't agree on that, we don't agree on anything. Again, no hate, no animosity. Just the way it is.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Who Jesus is IS the major point of Christianity. If we don't agree on that, we don't agree on anything. Again, no hate, no animosity. Just the way it is.
Jesus is the major point of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints, too, BF. For some reason, you think He isn't, but He is the focus of everything we do. Joseph Smith once said, "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it." I know it's a losing battle trying to get you to see me as a sister in Christ, but Jesus Christ knows I am His. I guess it's really not all that important that you don't.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:04 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Jesus is the major point of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints, too, BF. For some reason, you think He isn't, but He is the focus of everything we do. Joseph Smith once said, "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it." I know it's a losing battle trying to get you to see me as a sister in Christ, but Jesus Christ knows I am His. I guess it's really not all that important that you don't.
I admire the effort and patience you put into trying to get him to acknowledge common ground but I think you're right that it's a losing battle.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:13 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,483 times
I also really liked the episode where Jesus was with the children.

And two scenes really stuck in my mind - the one in which Jesus invites Mathew to follow him. And the one in which Nicodemus ALMOST follows Jesus. As Jesus said, "He was so close."

I am very much looking forward to Season 3.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I admire the effort and patience you put into trying to get him to acknowledge common ground but I think you're right that it's a losing battle.
It is, and I am going to give up. The only thing I will not stop doing is telling people the truth about what Mormons believe. They can believe anything they want and I can't do anything about it, but it hurts like hell to be told that you're not giving people "straight answers" when you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity