Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2022, 04:13 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I watch it on Pureflix.

Thanks for your opinion. I liked the series, though I must confess, I was very tuned in to what was truly Scriptural and what was not. I understood their reasoning behind the back story on the characters. One thing i did not like was how they portrayed Mary Magdalene. There isn’t a Scripture anywhere that tells us she was a prostitute. She was demon possessed, but not a prostitute.

My overall thoughts of The Chosen are that if the episodes can bring one soul to Christ, it will have been worth it. I’ve enjoyed watching. This is my second go around. Looking forward to more seasons. I have to say, the actor who is supposed to be Jesus is outstanding, and I, too, liked the episode with the children. It’s easy to imagine Jesus being that way with little kids.
There were YouTube links in the other thread. All I found there were people discussing it. Finally found it on Prime.

The fictions within this story bother me. I think it needs a disclaimer before each episode that the story is an adaption of the NT and is not a depiction of the Gospel truth.

Like BaptistFundie I have my own theological issues with this show. In spite of that I hope it can somehow be a force for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 10:08 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
My husband and I went to see episodes 1 and 2 of Season 3 last night. They were really good. So glad we can start watching them again at home now. I've missed seeing it.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:04 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
I just finished binging the available seasons.

I though it was epic...they were portrayed as "normal" people with normal lives....until Jesus appeared.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, there's a team of writers, actually. I think you'd really like it if you gave it a chance. When Mel Gibson came out with "The Passion of the Christ," I found a whole lot of Catholicism woven into the story, but it didn't stop it from being an excellent movie nevertheless. You can find a movie to be worthwhile even if you disagree with a few parts of it.
One of the main writers has publicly stated that the Mormon God is the same one as the Christian God. I don't care to debate that particular topic here, as it would distract from the OP, but you did share some ideas on the recent "explain yourself" thread to show us that yes, you do have some theological views that are pretty different from historical Christianity. It is my personal conviction that I cannot watch a show that is written by such a person.

Having said that, at no point here have I attacked you personally, the writer personally, or said anything negative about the LDS church, only that we have significant theological differences.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:39 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
It's a very good series. I can't recall which episode is my favorite but I'm looking forward to season 3 being shown on

https://www.angel.com/watch/the-chosen

not long after its premiere in the theaters.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:26 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
One of the main writers has publicly stated that the Mormon God is the same one as the Christian God. I don't care to debate that particular topic here, as it would distract from the OP, but you did share some ideas on the recent "explain yourself" thread to show us that yes, you do have some theological views that are pretty different from historical Christianity. It is my personal conviction that I cannot watch a show that is written by such a person.

Having said that, at no point here have I attacked you personally, the writer personally, or said anything negative about the LDS church, only that we have significant theological differences.
I think if you believe there is only 1 God then yes...we are all praying to the same God...just in different ways.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I can respect your opinion, BF. I'd just like to say that the LDS writer is only one of several who contributed to the show. I haven't seen anything on the series yet that was uniquely identifiable as LDS. You might want to watch a couple of episodes before dismissing the show as being contrary to your beliefs. It seems pretty mainline Christian to me. I don't think the non-LDS writers would have been willing to include any LDS doctrines about Jesus. You know, despite our differences, there are a great many beliefs about Jesus that are common to LDS, Evangelical Christians, Traditional Protestants and Catholics. Sometimes it is worthwhile to find common ground instead of always focusing on our differences.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I can respect your opinion, BF. I'd just like to say that the LDS writer is only one of several who contributed to the show. I haven't seen anything on the series yet that was uniquely identifiable as LDS. You might want to watch a couple of episodes before dismissing the show as being contrary to your beliefs. It seems pretty mainline Christian to me. I don't think the non-LDS writers would have been willing to include any LDS doctrines about Jesus. You know, despite our differences, there are a great many beliefs about Jesus that are common to LDS, Evangelical Christians, Traditional Protestants and Catholics. Sometimes it is worthwhile to find common ground instead of always focusing on our differences.
No offense, but no. I don't believe that to be wise. I don't believe we have anything in common regarding our religions.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
No offense, but no. I don't believe that to be wise. I don't believe we have anything in common regarding our religions.
That's sad, BF, because I believe the following about Jesus:

He was with the Father in the beginning and created our universe under His Father's direction.
He was chosen before the foundation of this earth to be the Lamb slain to redeem mankind.
His birth was prophesied in Old Testament times.
He was born in a stable in Bethlehem to a young virgin.
He lived a perfect life, never once sinning.
When he was about 30, He began his ministry.
He chose twelve men to be His Apostles, to carry on His ministry following His death.
He preached a gospel of love, mercy and forgiveness.
He performed many miracles during His ministry that ranged from quieting a storm on the Sea of Galilee to raising a person from the dead.
He claimed to be the great "I AM" foretold of in the Old Testament.
He established His Church prior to the end of His ministry.
He was betrayed by one of His closest friends and denied three times by another of them.
He was arrested on trumped up charges, beaten with 39 lashes, had a crown of thorns placed upon His head, was forced to carry His own cross up Calvary's hill, was nailed to a cross and was given vinegar to drink when He asked for water.
While dying on the cross, He forgave his murderers.
He rose from the dead on the following Sunday morning.
He appeared to many, proving that He was indeed a resurrected being.
He remained with His followers for forty days after His resurrection.
He now sits on the right hand side of His Father in Heaven.
He will return to this earth in glory for His millennial reign someday.

If you don't believe these things about Jesus Christ, it makes me wonder what you do believe. And if you believe that there was more than one man named Jesus that did all of these things, you do indeed believe something different than the Bible teaches about Him. I may believe certain things about Jesus that the Bible is silent on, but I do at least believe the things that the Bible teaches about Him.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-23-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-23-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
That's sad, BF, because I believe the following about Jesus:

He was with the Father in the beginning and created our universe under His Father's direction.
He was chosen before the foundation of this earth to be the Lamb slain to redeem mankind.
His birth was prophesied in Old Testament times.
He was born in a stable in Bethlehem to a young virgin.
He lived a perfect life, never once sinning.
When he was about 30, He began his ministry.
He chose twelve men to be His Apostles, to carry on His ministry following His death.
He preached a gospel of love, mercy and forgiveness.
He performed many miracles during His ministry that ranged from quieting a storm on the Sea of Galilee to raising a person from the dead.
He claimed to be the great "I AM" foretold of in the Old Testament.
He established His Church prior to the end of His ministry.
He was betrayed by one of His closest friends and denied three times by another of them.
He was arrested on trumped up charges, beaten with 39 lashes, had a crown of thorns placed upon His head, was forced to carry His own cross up Calvary's hill, was nailed to a cross and was given vinegar to drink when He asked for water.
While dying on the cross, He forgave his murderers.
He rose from the dead on the following Sunday morning.
He appeared to many, proving that He was indeed a resurrected being.
He remained with His followers for forty days after His resurrection.
He now sits on the right hand side of His Father in Heaven.
He will return to this earth in glory for His millennial reign someday.

If you don't believe these things about Jesus Christ, it makes me wonder what you do believe. And if you believe that there was more than one man named Jesus that did all of these things, you do indeed believe something different than the Bible teaches about Him. I may believe certain things about Jesus that the Bible is silent on, but I do at least believe the things that the Bible teaches about Him.
Yes. I'm aware we use a lot of the same terms. But the issue is how we define those terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity