Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 04:34 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The controversy over Jesus' ''I am the law'' statement in 'The Chosen' is rather silly. He was simply speaking metaphorically just as when in the Bible he said ''I am the bread of life'' John 6:35; ''I am the gate'' John 10:7; and ''I am the true vine'' John 15:1. Jesus was not literally a piece of bread, or a gate on a hinge, or a literal vine. Metaphorical statements convey a truth but are not meant to be taken in a literal sense.
It doesn't matter. BF's objection (if he were to be honest with you) is that "I am the life," is a statement that, coincidentally, is also found in the Book of Mormon. Therefore, it has to be contradicting what's in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 05:06 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times
The Chosen has various religious consultants.

https://www.biola.edu/blogs/good-boo...evision-series
For background expertise and script consulting, the creators of the show have been conferring with Father David Guffee of St. Monica Catholic Church and national director at Family Theater Productions, Rabbi Jason Sobel of Fusion Ministries, and me, as a New Testament scholar. What’s more, director Jenkins pulls us consultants together for round table discussions of each episode.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:42 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Well, you still did not explain, so I will:

God is Love. (1 John 4:8,16)
Love is fulfillment of the law (Rom 13:8-10)
Love is what is commanded of us (Mark 12:28-34)
In the show, Jesus says "I am the Law". He isn't. Nowhere in Scripture did he say that.

But no, he isn't the Law. He did fulfill it. What he is, is peace. He calls us to come to him, to rest in him. The Book of Hebrews calls him our Peace. We rest in him.

Quote:

Jesus is Love - do you not agree?

Lemme guess - Jesus Love is finished and complete, so you don't have to ?
You're drawing conclusions that Scripture doesn't draw.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
In the show, Jesus says "I am the Law". He isn't. Nowhere in Scripture did he say that.
He doesn't say, "I'm not the law," either, so the movie doesn't contradict the Bible. Jesus says a LOT of things in the movie that He doesn't say in the Bible. Why are you so focused on this one line.

Quote:
But no, he isn't the Law. He did fulfill it. What he is, is peace. He calls us to come to him, to rest in him. The Book of Hebrews calls him our Peace. We rest in him.
He never says, "I am peace," in the Bible either, so it's inaccurate to say Jesus is peace.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:53 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
He doesn't say, "I'm not the law," either, so the movie doesn't contradict the Bible. Jesus says a LOT of things in the movie that He doesn't say in the Bible. Why are you so focused on this one line.

He never says, "I am peace," in the Bible either, so it's inaccurate to say Jesus is peace.
This is where the "creative license" comes in. Dallas has said many times the show is not a documentary. It's an entertainment venue but they do try and stick with scripture the majority of the time. He's also said if they stuck with only scripture, it would be just another bible story and those have been pretty boring in recent years. Yet, a lot of people have taken this show literally. There's quite a few scenes in the show that aren't in the bible. For instance, Jesus and Nicodemus meeting. In the show, Jesus asks Nicodemus to follow him but that did not occur. They talked, yes. And Nicodemus became a follower of Jesus and even helped remove him from the cross but he never went with out with Jesus and the Disciples. That was simply embellishment.

There are plenty of instances like that in the show. The show has inspired many to seek more information and that's something Dallas was hoping the show would do. Taking every word, every scene literally is not a wise thing to do. Still, a great show.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
which is the season/episode that Jesus said I am, and they took Jesus to a high place and were going to throw him over? But Jesus said, its not time now.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Law/work is the opposite of peace/rest.

I'm not just focused on that. There are plenty of other reasons. This is just one.
Quote:
He invites to come to him because his yoke is light, so we can rest.

That said, Hebrews 4 most certainly does call him peace.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That said, Hebrews 4 most certainly does call him peace.
He first gave the law; then He brought peace. Just give it a rest, BF.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
He first gave the law; then He brought peace. Just give it a rest, BF.
Why should I be content with inaccurate representation of my Lord?

Old 03-21-2023, 12:26 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
It all depends which law you are speaking of

In a sense Jesus is the law of liberty and peace

Jas 1:1**James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

Jas 1:25**But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Jas 1:26**If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jas 1:27**Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity