Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 07:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
We can certainly argue about those keys, and what they mean. But we see Peter teaching error at times. To the point he had to be corrected.

And he did not claim any sort of papal office.
He didn't have to claim it. And by the way, no one, not even a pope, is infallible.

Please give us an example of Peter teaching error. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 07:37 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He didn't have to claim it. And by the way, no one, not even a pope, is infallible.

Please give us an example of Peter teaching error. Thanks.
Galatians 2:11-14

11 When Peter came to Antioch, I told him face to face that he was wrong. 12 He used to eat with Gentile followers of the Lord, until James sent some Jewish followers. Peter was afraid of the Jews and soon stopped eating with Gentiles. 13 He and the other Jews hid their true feelings so well that even Barnabas was fooled. 14 But when I saw that they were not really obeying the truth that is in the good news, I corrected Peter in front of everyone and said:

Peter, you are a Jew, but you live like a Gentile. So how can you force Gentiles to live like Jews?

Old 10-28-2021, 07:57 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The idea that God would provide inspiration to us only at the most primitive stage of our development and then stop providing inspiration to us upon Christ's death is patently absurd. Accepting it is particularly stupid especially since Jesus promised the Comforter would come in His name and do just that. Their Sola Doctrina Ecclesiae has been a travesty.

When He fulfilled that promise at Pentecost, that should have allayed any such notion that inspiration had ended. But true to the bent of human ignorance and perversity. the Church stifled as heresy any such inspirations that provided an altered understanding from the primitive one decided on back then
The Catholic Church teaches that revelation is ongoing and actively promotes many private revelations.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Galatians 2:11-14

11 When Peter came to Antioch, I told him face to face that he was wrong. 12 He used to eat with Gentile followers of the Lord, until James sent some Jewish followers. Peter was afraid of the Jews and soon stopped eating with Gentiles. 13 He and the other Jews hid their true feelings so well that even Barnabas was fooled. 14 But when I saw that they were not really obeying the truth that is in the good news, I corrected Peter in front of everyone and said:

Peter, you are a Jew, but you live like a Gentile. So how can you force Gentiles to live like Jews?
Just nitpicking, but Paul corrected Peter's behavior here; not his teaching.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Just nitpicking, but Paul corrected Peter's behavior here; not his teaching.
Right. Because by withdrawing and eating only with the Jews, he wasn't teaching anything.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Right. Because by withdrawing and eating only with the Jews, he wasn't teaching anything.
Teaching by example, sure.

The Catholic Church has never made a claim that the Pope can't be wrong or can't sin, so I'm not sure why you keep trying to take down this straw man.

Yes, Paul corrected Peter. That doesn't prove what you think it does. Galatians is a Catholic book, and we affirm it wholeheartedly. Nothing in it contradicts Catholic teaching.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Teaching by example, sure.
And the thought process to make that determination.
Quote:
The Catholic Church has never made a claim that the Pope can't be wrong or can't sin, so I'm not sure why you keep trying to take down this straw man.
I get that. And depending on who you talk to, there have been anywhere from 3 to 23 ex cathedra statements over the years. We can't even get an authoritative list.
Quote:
Yes, Paul corrected Peter. That doesn't prove what you think it does. Galatians is a Catholic book, and we affirm it wholeheartedly. Nothing in it contradicts Catholic teaching.
Except where it does. It teaches imputed righteousness, where the RCC teaches infused righteousness.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Except where it does. It teaches imputed righteousness, where the RCC teaches infused righteousness.
Since this is off-topic for this thread, I responded with a new thread here

Old 10-28-2021, 09:52 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
And nowhere in Scripture do we see it state that "the Church" is the Roman Catholic Church or any other church or denomination.
There was no other church, for at least 1000 years!

And since scripture/Peter was instructed to go out to ALL nations/Gentiles and baptize ALL into Christs' church,
shepherd them (tend my sheep),
and feed them,
then there could be no people left remaining to congregate into 'other churches' -
except those who would refuse to enjoin Christs flock/church whom Petra, like Eliakim, was 'firmly set' to shepherd/steward.

Though Eliakim was set like a firm peg by the Lord himself, yet prophesied to 'give way' and it did (ISA 22),
Petra was set in stone, by the Lord himself,
'a new and everlasting covenant',
& prophesied/foretold by Christ himself - to last forever - 'the gates of hades shall NEVER overcome it'.

Now notice that Christ said 'never overcome' - but he didn't say 'wouldn't get hurt'.
She, His church, is indeed deeply wounded; and many scoff at her today just as they did when Jesus hung, beaten, bleeding, and bruised, on the cross.
The apostles themselves forewarned that any who chose to follow Christ would similarly 'have trouble in this world'.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
There was no other church, for at least 1000 years!
That's your assumption. There was a church, but it wasn't called the Roman Catholic church.
Quote:
And since scripture/Peter was instructed to go out to ALL nations/Gentiles and baptize ALL into Christs' church,
shepherd them (tend my sheep),
and feed them,
then there could be no people left remaining to congregate into 'other churches' -
except those who would refuse to enjoin Christs flock/church whom Petra, like Eliakim, was 'firmly set' to shepherd/steward.
You think the Great Commission was to Peter and the church you think he was Pope over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity